Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I just came back from test driving a 2008 cayman s tiptronic. I accelerated then stepped on the break and the breaks vibrated with a cranking sound. The salesperson told me "oh, that's the ABS you're hearing. All porsche ABS sound like that when engaged." Can someone tell me anything about that? Thanks again guys.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
That doesn't sound right. Where the roads wet when to did this and how hard did you brake?

The only time I've activated the ABS on the Cayman was during a car control clinic where we were told to SLAM on the brakes in an exercise. When I say slam I mean to the point of me wondering about deforming the brake pedal or tearing the leather on the seat back I was pressing so hard...

I've never kicked into ABS even during four track events.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Could just be sticky pads from sitting on a lot though.

·
West Coast Group & PCA Member
269 Posts
Hi everyone. I just came back from test driving a 2008 cayman s tiptronic. I accelerated then stepped on the break and the breaks vibrated with a cranking sound. The salesperson told me "oh, that's the ABS you're hearing. All porsche ABS sound like that when engaged." Can someone tell me anything about that? Thanks again guys.
I have the same car. No brake vibration or other odd sounds while braking hard whatsoever. Before I purchased this car I would definitely have them check it out and fix it. Good luck!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Although I've never done it (yet) in the Cayman, grinding sounds and a vibrating brake pedal are the EXACT signs that ABS is doing it's job. Through many years of police pursuit driving and autocrossing I've engaged ABS numerous times and the grinding brakes and pulsating pedal are what help you steer under heavy braking conditions.

Several police officers were killed in pursuit conditions when ABS was first introduced because they reverted to the old procedure of pumping the brake pedal. That gets you into trouble with ABS. You need to STAND on the pedal for full benefit...

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I've never engaged ABS unless driving on snow,gravel or ice. It seems odd for the ABS to engage on a test drive in LA unless OP was really smoking it and hit gravel.There is no doubt the sound is grinding and the car will shudder. I intentionally try to provoke my ABS early each winter just to get comfortable with the feeling. I guess I don't drive hard enough to trigger the response in summer.:cheers:

·
The driver formally known as Torque
895 Posts
My guess would be that the car you took for a test drive was recently washed. After a wash the rotors will almost always get a thin layer of rust on them (within minutes).

When that happened was it the first time you touched the brakes? A thin layer of rust + braking hard sounds like what happened with you.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Certainly ABS will produce a grinding noise and pulsating pedal when activated under heavy braking. Add to that some surface rust on the rotors and it may make the noise more pronounced.

Best advice is take another Cayman or Boxster out for a test and see if the same happens under the same conditions, because none of us felt/heard and are simply guessing and you are the one that needs to be satisfied.

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
Seriously. All you guys who state that you've never experienced the cranking sounds and vibration before - and think you've braked hard - you might want to go out and really stand on the pedal. But, yes, before ABS kicks in the brakes should feel as beautiful as about any car can get. And when it does engage there is a distinct difference.

What the OP states is pretty much what you get when it kicks in.

I can't count how many times I've had ABS kick in, at speeds from about 200 k/h down. Coming into the braking box at auto-x, on cool days below 7C when the tires don't have heat, when you cross a wet or dirty patch while braking relatively aggressively, etc. Looking at the temps around LA, was the test during a cool morning or such? Big difference in tire traction when it dips around 7C.

Yeah, I've experienced rusty rotors, etc and the two symptoms are totally different. Go out there and try what your brakes are really capable of guys!:cheers:

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
Hey let's not get personal, I know lots of people who make more money than I do who can't spell worth a $**@%@! :)
Making money, spelling, intelligence, owning a Porsche, sarcasm, and many other things, can generally be seen as mutually exclusive. If you own a Porsche you should know that.:D

Mie splileng gotted beter wen i bot mie Porshe.:hilarious:

·
Registered
510 Posts
Jay Leno is dyslexic. Ever seen his garage?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Seriously. All you guys who state that you've never experienced the cranking sounds and vibration before - and think you've braked hard - you might want to go out and really stand on the pedal. But, yes, before ABS kicks in the brakes should feel as beautiful as about any car can get. And when it does engage there is a distinct difference.

What the OP states is pretty much what you get when it kicks in.

I can't count how many times I've had ABS kick in, at speeds from about 200 k/h down. Coming into the braking box at auto-x, on cool days below 7C when the tires don't have heat, when you cross a wet or dirty patch while braking relatively aggressively, etc. Looking at the temps around LA, was the test during a cool morning or such? Big difference in tire traction when it dips around 7C.

Yeah, I've experienced rusty rotors, etc and the two symptoms are totally different. Go out there and try what your brakes are really capable of guys!:cheers:
I guess any situation that provokes lockup will invoke the ABS. I've never encountered in summer because I don't track or AX. I pretty much try to use threshold braking the rest of the time-a skill I learned at Porsche DE in the pre ABS era........Yes,there still are a few of us out there.;)

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
Andy:

If the braking happened on a slick surface or during very hard braking, it might be ABS working normally.

If the braking noise happened at the beginning of the drive during gentle braking, it's just rusted rotors. This happens whenever the car is parked with the rotors wet, like after a car wash or if the car has been driven in the rain and parked. For some reason, the rusty brake noise is more prominent in my Cayman than on other vehicles I've owned, but it's common for any vehicle with disc brakes. The thin layer of rust rubs right off the surface of the roators after a mile or two of driving and stop and go. After that, brakes should sound normal again. Car dealers wash their cars a lot and park them with wet brakes.

I disagree with those who say that ABS sounds like a grinding and clicking noise. It's more just clicking. If the brakes sound like grinding and you've just started off, it's rust on the rotors. No biggy at all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you so much everyone for all those who've helped. Yes, I went out to another dealer and was told the same thing: the vibration/pulsating/grinding of brakes against my feet when i stepped on the brakes hard is the ABS working.

This is the 3rd cayman now that did that to me. First, it was at night but roads were dry as well as the car. Second, noon, dry road, dry car. Tonight, raining, wet roads and wet rotors. In all three scenarios, gentle breaking did not produce the pulsing/grinding of the brakes. But once ABS activated from hard, sudden, "standing-on-the-brake-pedal" braking took place, the pulsating/grinding thing happened.

From everyone's input it sounds like some have experienced the pulsating and grinding situation. For those who said it can't be the ABS it sounds like they may not have stepped on the brakes as hard as I have. In any case, once again I'm very thankful for all your help. Now, another question. I've read up on this question already and even saw different cars with different trims but I still value you guys' input and would like to hear it from current Cayman owners rather than dealers:

1. What is the difference between Cayman and Cayman S?

Now, aside from the bigger tires on the Cayman S and the bigger engine and around 50 more horsepower, what else would I be missing if I were to go with just the Cayman if the one I'm looking at already has the Cayman S's other options like PASM, ABS, etc.

much obliged everyone

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
1. What is the difference between Cayman and Cayman S?

Now, aside from the bigger tires on the Cayman S and the bigger engine and around 50 more horsepower, what else would I be missing if I were to go with just the Cayman if the one I'm looking at already has the Cayman S's other options like PASM, ABS, etc.

much obliged everyone
Well, you've listed the major differences already - engine displacement/power, wheels. You can pretty much get any option for a base Cayman as you can with an S.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Normally I would say that it would be really difficult to engage the ABS on a test drive without putting the sales guy through the windshield. Several of the posters have wisely pointed out that if the car sat on the lot for any length of time the surface rust on the rotors could combine with the new pads to result in some grinding.

I would submit that if the weather was cold the Summer tires the car comes with may have also contributed. My tires stutter as I back out of my garage and lock the steering.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts