Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I were attending an HPDE with the Porsche Club this past weekend; three days of track driving which we had been looking forward to for weeks. We were both driving my 2006 Cayman S. The first day went well as we spent our time trying to learn a track which I had only been to once before and my wife had never driven. The morning of the second day there was another tech inspection, which should have been a formality for the car since the brake pads were near-new and the tires had plenty of life in them. However, when I pulled into the tech station, I heard one of the tech guys call out "he's picked up a screw". Sure enough, embedded between two of the tread blocks on one of the rear tires was a short, fat screw. Not good.

I pulled the car to an empty spot on the paddock and had a look. Tried to loosen it to determine if it was just a surface issue. As soon as I wiggled the screw I could hear air hissing out of the tire. Definitely not good. My wife and I are new to DE's and so don't have the stockpile of equipment (or a way to transport it) that I see with those who have been going to the track for years. This means I have some basic tools and fluids, but spare wheels and tires? Nope. It was 7:30 am on a Saturday (on Memorial Day weekend) and I was calling any tire place anywhere near where we were, although I already knew the answer, "We can order it, but we don't have that size in stock." Looked like the weekend was going to end early; the only thing to do was to get the damaged tire patched so that I could drive home.

At the end of the driver's meeting that morning, we asked the organizer to make an announcement asking if anyone in the group had a spare tire in the size we needed they could part with. At first it seemed no one did, and then another Cayman driver spoke up. He didn't have the 19" tire I needed, but he had the tire in 18".
"Appreciate it", I said, "but I only have 19-inch wheels."
"I have a spare set of 18-inch wheels. Just swap them over. Give them back to me tomorrow when the event is over."
"Ok, that'll work. What do you want for them?" I asked.
"Nothing, just use them and give them back tomorrow."
"Yes, but how much should I pay you for the wear we're going to put on the tires? My wife and I are both driving this event."
"Nothing. I don't want anything for them. Just use them and have a good time. We all know that no one wants to lose a weekend."

And so I followed him over to his trailer, where he pulled off a set of new Michelins for me and my wife to thrash for the next two days, which he proceeded to swap over onto my car while I tried to be helpful. He had never met us before; he was just a guy who wanted to help out a fellow Porsche owner and budding track enthusiast. When a group of us went out for dinner that night, he wouldn't even let us pick up his check. That's what the Porsche community is like.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Love this story! It's always reassuring hearing about these kinds of experiences. I'm glad it worked out for you and your wife, that you didn't lose the weekend, and possibly made some new friends!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Great story and shows the band of brothers / sisters that exists at the track.

A couple of yrs ago at a 2-day DE at our local track, a guy hit a chuck hole at track out on a corner and ruined his tire. It was late on Sat, so many tire stores were about to close, but no one had his size anyway. He was from St Louis, which is an 8 hr drive. His options: flatbed back to StL or have his wife drive up with an extra wheel / tire. He defn didn't want to do the latter. One of the guys at the track was the father-in-law of Porsche of Omaha's sales mgr, so he called him to see if they had that tire in stock. The SM drove to the dealership, checked their inventory, and found they did have the size. However, they wouldn't be able to mount it until the next morning (Sun). So the SM sent a truck out to pick up the guy's 911 AND brought out a courtesy Cayenne for the guy to drive overnight. Early the next morning the tire was mounted and the guy was back at the track by 9am, only missing the 1st session.

Not all dealerships are delta-bravos.

Reactions: swessels

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
Great story. But next time have a tire plug kit. Doesn't take much space at all, and some screw holes can be fixed in just minutes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.