Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After some careful consideration, I have decided on a few mods for my Cayman. I bought the parts--or most of them--and then started contacting independent shops to price out what the cost of the labor might be. The two shops I contacted in my immediate area both came up with the same estimated price and number of hours. But they differed in one respect. One shop, while making one recommendation which countered one of my ideas was quite comfortable with the rest. The other said he would work with me this one time, but made it clear that afterwards he would want to be the supplier of the parts. It was not that he necessarily disagreed with my choice of parts, but he wanted to be the supplier.
Putting myself in the shoes of the second fellow, I can readily imagine why he takes this position. I can even think of reasons as to how it might be advantageous. I really can't think of a good reason to reject working with him because of this particular policy, although it FELT like a control thing.
I'm interested in hearing from folks out there about whether or not it would make a difference to them as to whether the shop insists on supplying the parts, and why.

Thanks,

ThomWT

·
Registered
245 Posts
They want the profit margin on the parts. Sometimes, you can accommodate that for no extra cost to you, depending on the respective prices paid by you and your shop. If I like the tech, I'm usually inclined to allow him to make a few extra bucks, assuming there no significant cost penalty to me.

·
Northeast Member
747 Posts
I think there is a little bit of a warranty issue there as well. If there is a problem, there is one less cook in the kitchen if the parts are installed by the person who buys them. If the installer supplies them to you at the same price you can buy them for, then your life is easier by letting them handle everything any way!

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
I have sort of the same issue with my tire installer - they are a Tire Rack recommended installer, but clearly, they would prefer to sell me the tires that they mount and balance for me. Since they are usually only about 10% or less, higher than Tire Rack in total price, I usually give them the tire business as well, just for the sake of our relationship (they also do my "performance" alignments).

In the OP's case, if the second shop is willing to get the parts you want, at a price that is close to what it would cost you elsewhere, then why not?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would bet that with the second shop, it's primarily driven by an interest in maximizing profit. If the shop sells you the parts in addition to the labor, they are gaining an additional source of profit with relatively little extra time and effort on their part... so it's understandable that the shop would want to be the parts supplier, too. I think it's to their credit that they agreed to do this project for you in the interest of establishing a relationship, with the hope of selling you both parts and service next time around.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Perhaps a few dollars here and there would solidify your relationship with a local shop. If they are good and you likem why not?:cheers:

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
Explain that you really want to do business with him, and you'd like him to quote you an hourly rate that he thinks is fair for installing your parts. No warranty on anything but the labor itself.

If he doesn't want your business, let him explain that to his kids this Christmas.

·
Registered
79 Posts
perhaps he doesn't want to pay tax on top of any price differential.

in CA I don't buy anything instate if I can help it as I don't want to pay the 9.5 sales tax

·
Registered
1 Posts
Working at a shop that runs into this often, our take is this. 1st, we sell parts! We don't try to make a huge margin on them but every little bit helps and like DLENNOX said "one less cook in the kitchen". If something were to be wrong or go wrong we can deal directly with the manufacturer or wholesaler and not just hope that the customer can relay the specific problem correctly while their car is down on our lift. Finally and sadly, a good deal of customers buy from ebay companies and other cut rate suppliers and end up bringing us a pile of junk that now reflects upon us and our shop. Bottom line is that if it doesn't end up costing our customer more, or even if it is marginally more but it's a job we can guarantee all the way around we both win.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Working at a shop that runs into this often, our take is this. 1st, we sell parts! We don't try to make a huge margin on them but every little bit helps and like DLENNOX said "one less cook in the kitchen". If something were to be wrong or go wrong we can deal directly with the manufacturer or wholesaler and not just hope that the customer can relay the specific problem correctly while their car is down on our lift. Finally and sadly, a good deal of customers buy from ebay companies and other cut rate suppliers and end up bringing us a pile of junk that now reflects upon us and our shop. Bottom line is that if it doesn't end up costing our customer more, or even if it is marginally more but it's a job we can guarantee all the way around we both win.
Exactly; if there is a problem with the install and you're supplying the parts, doesn't this turn into a "who shot John" if there is a problem?

You may save a few $'s on the equipment pricing but personally, I'd rather pay the freight for someone to source the parts and do the labor, so that if there is a problem there is only one party involved.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Car shops like to sell the parts for two main reasons. The first obvious one is money. If the shop's stance is that they want to supply the parts they install, the labor charge is probably slightly reduced. I know at the shop that I used to go to a lot, they would charge $90 an hour for parts that people brought in, and $75 for parts they supplied. Second, shops like to do it for warranty issues. If a part goes wrong (and it happens) it is much easier for them to take care of it.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I have sort of the same issue with my tire installer - they are a Tire Rack recommended installer, but clearly, they would prefer to sell me the tires that they mount and balance for me. Since they are usually only about 10% or less, higher than Tire Rack in total price, I usually give them the tire business as well, just for the sake of our relationship (they also do my "performance" alignments).

In the OP's case, if the second shop is willing to get the parts you want, at a price that is close to what it would cost you elsewhere, then why not?
They should match TR price. TR sells parts to their installers at 10% to 20% discount.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
One throat to choke. I would go with the shop that sells the part and warranties the solution. Few exceptions, through this board we get ATBs for a fraction of what he shop would be able to get it for. Sometimes used parts are also found here for much less money.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts