Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering a set of used Fabspeed catless headers for my GTS but am concerned about the smell. I know this question is quite subjective but how bad is it? in all my years of modding cars, every decatted car I've driven had a heavy fume smell, but I don't want to assume it's the same with the new Cayman. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the 981 only has two cats total?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I don't smell anything in the car most of the time, exception being when stopped at the lights with a specific wind direction and it's cold outside. For some reason the cold weather affects it. So I press the re-circulation button in those cases which solves it completely. Standing behind the car when it's idling, yes you do smell it. Takes all of five seconds there before your clothes and hair smell like fuel, too.

For a daily driver I would consider catted headers. For a weekend toy and track car I love the violent raw edge the catless provides.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't smell anything in the car most of the time, exception being when stopped at the lights with a specific wind direction and it's cold outside. For some reason the cold weather affects it. So I press the re-circulation button in those cases which solves it completely. Standing behind the car when it's idling, yes you do smell it. Takes all of five seconds there before your clothes and hair smell like fuel, too.

For a daily driver I would consider catted headers. For a weekend toy and track car I love the violent raw edge the catless provides.
Good Sir, much appreciated for this, exactly the feedback I was looking for.

Question; are you really going to remove these headers every two years for the required CA smog test?
I don't keep my cars often but seeing as I do my own wrenching, I would if I needed to. Or find a friendly smog guy who doesn't look under the car, granted I had the OBD portion of the test squared away (with o2 extenders or modified software readiness)

·
Registered
697 Posts
I dont notice a smell in my cayman... you should be good.
Yeah, one cat on each manifold for the 981 cars, thats it.

Sent from my SM-P607T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont notice a smell in my cayman... you should be good.
Yeah, one cat on each manifold for the 981 cars, thats it.

What setup are you running? also curious to know what mods you have done to reach that 330rwhp figure, very impressive.

·
Registered
697 Posts
What setup are you running? also curious to know what mods you have done to reach that 330rwhp figure, very impressive.
Power mods are:
Cargraphic race headers
Borla catback exhaust
IPD plenum w 82mm throttle body
K&N air filters
Cobb custom ECU tune

·
Registered
348 Posts
Does anyone know if there is any difference btwn the cayman S oem headers vs base 2.7? Are they the same like the exhaust?

Thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm considering a set of used Fabspeed catless headers for my GTS but am concerned about the smell. I know this question is quite subjective but how bad is it? in all my years of modding cars, every decatted car I've driven had a heavy fume smell, but I don't want to assume it's the same with the new Cayman. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the 981 only has two cats total?

Thanks in advance.
I have the fabspeed catless headers, more than anything the power and sound that comes out of them will out weigh the fumes. Most of the time i don't notice it, only when i have my windows down and i'm at a completely stop will the fumes start to creep in. I roll up my windows if i'm stopped for any long periods of time and nothing comes into the ventilation system so no need to hit the recirculation button.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I'm jumping in a bit late, but as a guy who has melted TWO sets of headers on the track, I am running Cargraphic race headers on my car. Cargraphics has a new design where the cat is removable for the track and can be put back in for street. BGB Motorsports now states that it is only a matter of when, not if the cats will die if you track your car.

If your exhaust is sealed, only the guy on your tail will know from the smell. Nothing gets into the interior.

V6

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.