Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my BS for a few weeks now and figured I'd give a some quick thoughts on a few options i took...

2-Way Sport Plus Seats:
I went with the 2-way Sport Plus seats and am very satisfied. I don't personally see the need for the added adjustments of the 12/14-way versions - the 2-way's are just fine for me. They give really good support and the larger bolsters of the Sport Plus version really keep you snug in turns. My BS is the most comfortable car I have ever driven. I'm taller (about 6'1") and feel completely relaxed and supported at all times, even on longer drives. I was able to easily configure the seat and steering wheel into the perfect position for me.

Burmester:
I am a huge audiophile and hate most Bose systems, so I splurged for the Burmester package. It really is incredible. Is it the best car audio system I've ever heard? No - but its pretty amazing, given the acoustics of a roadster. The low end is clear, without the muddy, booming, false base found in many systems. The high end is crisp. I do wish the PCM interface allowed for a bit more control over the EQ. You can adjust the bass and treble, but that's about it. I haven't tested the surround system with a true 5.1 record, but the emulated surround feature of the Burmester system is nice. It provides a great open sound on stereo tracks. I leave it on for everything. Like any high-wattage system, the Burmester's is made to be listened to at high-volume, and it really does perform. I was very surprised to find that while cruising at 85mph, with the top and windows down, the stereo still cuts through the wind clear and clean. Overall, I think Burmester upgrade was definitely worth the money for me. For a non-DD, though, probably not.

PSE/SC:
This was a last-minute add for me, and I am so glad I went with it. I keep PSE and Sport mode on almost all the time. I absolutely love sound and it makes driving a manual so much more exhilarating. I opted out of the SC package, thinking it wasn't worth the money in a manual, but now I somewhat wish I had just taken it, if only for the louder sounds of Sport+ mode! With PSE turned off, the engine is tame, but still sounds fantastic. I'm sure if I didn't go with PSE and didn't know any better, I wouldn't have any regrets. That being said, now that I've experienced PSE, I could never go back!

Multi-Function Steering Wheel:
I went with the multi-function steering wheel, thinking I'd have easy control of PCM functions this way. It was a complete waste of money. The control wheel on the left controls volume and play/pause, but that's really the only added controls you get, besides the dial/hang-up buttons for phone operation. The control wheel on the right simply controls the display next to the tach. I really wish I had gone with the sport design steering wheel.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ditto on the Sport seats and Burmester!

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
On 997.2/987.2 MF wheels you can program a couple of the buttons...it's a buried option in the menu...I'd be surprised if it's gone in the 981/991.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
I agree with everything you said except the Burmester....but only because that is the only option mentioned that I did not get so I can't make a good comparison. I think the Bose system works great in a roadster. I'm listening to the Zuffenhausen Symphony most of the time anyway so the Burmester would be a waste for me. Enjoy! Thanks for the review.

Reactions: rjpeaks and Llarry

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks for sharing, this confirms me that my choice was right :) I'm went with PSE/SC, 2 way sport+ seat, sport design steering wheel and Bose (I'm still a waiter). I was even thinking about dropping Bose, because I often drive with audio system off, so that nothing interferes with engine sound.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Thanks Pezzer. Input on the Burmester is appreciated. Amazingly hard to find on a lot to audition. Wish it had been an option in 2008. Bose is only acceptable in comparison to the other options at the time.

I opted out of SC with MT also for the same reason and wish I hadn't. I missed that it changed the point at which PSM intervenes. Seemed like a lot to pay for a stopwatch.

Also wish I'd gone for the sport wheel instead of standard. Everything is close enough that I didn't go for multi-function. Sort of pricey after the fact with the airbag too.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thanks Pezzer. Input on the Burmester is appreciated. Amazingly hard to find on a lot to audition. Wish it had been an option in 2008. Bose is only acceptable in comparison to the other options at the time.

I opted out of SC with MT also for the same reason and wish I hadn't. I missed that it changed the point at which PSM intervenes. Seemed like a lot to pay for a stopwatch.

Also wish I'd gone for the sport wheel instead of standard. Everything is close enough that I didn't go for multi-function. Sort of pricey after the fact with the airbag too.
Are you sure SC in Sport+ mode "loosens" up PSM? I have found it to still be quite intrusive.

I have a 981 S Coupe and am conflicted about the audio. I do have Bose, and it is pretty good. Not great, but pretty good. I also have PSE which as everyone knows is intoxicating. It seriously never gets old. It's like a smile factory. At any speed less than 60 I have the radio off and windows down to hear the car. But when I'm slabbing it between fun bursts sometimes I wish for the Burmester.

If anyone has compared Bose to Burmester back to back would love to hear thoughts. Not much I can do now but still interested. I like my music loud, clear, and a bit heavier on the bass.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Are you sure SC in Sport+ mode "loosens" up PSM? I have found it to still be quite intrusive.

I have a 981 S Coupe and am conflicted about the audio. I do have Bose, and it is pretty good. Not great, but pretty good. I also have PSE which as everyone knows is intoxicating. It seriously never gets old. It's like a smile factory. At any speed less than 60 I have the radio off and windows down to hear the car. But when I'm slabbing it between fun bursts sometimes I wish for the Burmester.

If anyone has compared Bose to Burmester back to back would love to hear thoughts. Not much I can do now but still interested. I like my music loud, clear, and a bit heavier on the bass.
Since I don't have SC I can only repeat what I've read here and on other forums. I believe it's also in the owners manual (to lazy to walk out and check) and is in the Good to Know App. Sport and Sport + raise the limits at which PSM intervenes with PSM on. IIRC the highest limits, loosest, are obtained with PSM off and Sport On. That aside I haven't found PSM intrusive in street driving.

PSE does sound good but I'll keep my Capristo. Sound plus HP is sweeter.

Other than this thread the only other comparison I've found on Burmester is here: http://www.planet-9.com/boxster-spyder-ordering-configurations/109512-spyder-base-cdr-pcm-option.html

I personally found Bose disappointing even by my low standards for car audio. Just not common to find a car with Burmester on the lot to listen. Their home gear is pretty good so I have higher expectations.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On 997.2/987.2 MF wheels you can program a couple of the buttons...it's a buried option in the menu...I'd be surprised if it's gone in the 981/991.
Thanks for the info! I did find an option to configure a single button to do one of a few things. By default it resets the dash display to the "Vehicle" screen, and I've now configured it to skip to the next track. That's a little better, but I still think I'd opt out of the MFSW had I known.

Question for you (or others with Sport Plus): what size suit jackets do you wear? Lol, I'm a 38R, and ordered the basic 2-ways but after sitting in them and Sport Plus's back to back this weekend, I was surprised that I liked the Plus's a tad more, mainly because I could rest my elbows on the bolsters. I fit snugly into both but I'm now tempted to upgrade to the Plus's, just not sure how I'll like them over time...
I'm a 40R. I was comfortable in both the sport and sport+ seats, but preferred the added support of the sport+ bolsters. They're both great seats so you really can't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thanks for the great write up. It really made me feel better about my choices which were similar to yours. I couldn't find a Burmester to listen to in a Cayman, but did listen to it in a 991. I couldn't live without it......it was the finest audio I've heard in a car. On long drives, I'll turn off PSE, get into high gear, and turn up the tunes.

·
Registered
174 Posts
On the Bose vs. Burmester comparison, I've never seen a 981 with Burmester so I have no basis to compare. But I can say that the biggest improvement in sound for me was Bose in the standard settings vs. Bose in adjusted settings.

With the standard settings, it sounds like crap. If you set the sound to "linear" it sounds 10x better. Linear takes a little too much off the bottom end for me, so I pump the base up a few notches. I also turn on "surround" as it gives better spatial "layering" to my ears and makes the car interior sound bigger than it is.

I also find that the sound is very sensitive to the quality of the input. Regular radio sounds horrible. HD radio sounds a little better. Clean digital inputs (ipod etc) are by far the best.

Overall, while Bose in Porsches generally gets a bad rap, if you fiddle with the controls a little and use clean input you can get a very good sound. Still not the greatest sound but it all goes to hell anyway with the top down and the revs up. LOL.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The thing about Bose is it coveys a flat midrange sound. We tend to be wowed by very crisp treble and deep base. Probably wouldn't hurt if it came with a mixer. Like the poster above said, fiddle with the controls.

·
Registered
140 Posts
OP, you can also add SC. You don't get the clock, but you do get the throttle mapping and rev matching blip (which I really like as I have not mastered heal-toe yet). So if you regret not getting SC, talk with your dealer.

BTW the dealer can add PSE as well.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I skipped the SC because I don't feel it was that needed on a manual and I personally do not like the look of the wort.

I went with Sport Design wheel since aesthetically it looks the best and the value on it is incredible.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wanted to add to Pezzers list of one week impressions list as I am at that stage with my CS as well:

X73 Sport Suspension: I think that damping is spot on, even on Miami/Ft Lauderdale roads. Even the lowered state of the suspension, it does not seem to run out of suspension travel and keep things nice and level while cornering. Its not match the previous DD in ride quality (B8 audi S4) but It still an acceptable compromise.

XAT SportDesign: this is the exterior body kit of the GTS but painted body color. Was a little concerned with this option ICW the x73 since the driveway ramps in this area are generally steep. Happy to report that after 500 mi, have not touched ground once but im being careful to enter at an angle all the time. the body color finish looks great on a white car specially the rear diffuser. I would guess that it may look bulky in some colors as the black plastic finish may make the bumper look slimmer. This option is pricey.....(came with the car I wanted that had the PTV so had no choice but to get it......)

541 Ventilated seats: never had these in a car but it seems to be a great addition in the hot climate. Installed the 3M crystalline window tints this past weekend so interior cabin temps are down. but even when set to the lowest speed, they help you feel comfortable right away.

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'll second the ventilated seats. Never had them but always wanted them, and they fully live up to my expectations.

On the highest setting, they are a little noisy, but with the AC on it feels like it pulls the cold air from an outlet under the seat so you can have it on low and still be extremely comfortable.

I've also used the feature with the heater on and heated seats on and it gives a nice warming air flow as well (or so it feels).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll second the ventilated seats. Never had them but always wanted them, and they fully live up to my expectations.

On the highest setting, they are a little noisy, but with the AC on it feels like it pulls the cold air from an outlet under the seat so you can have it on low and still be extremely comfortable.

I've also used the feature with the heater on and heated seats on and it gives a nice warming air flow as well (or so it feels).
I also have the ventilated seats and they are definitely worth the price (especially with the top down on a hot day). If I'm stationary with no music playing I can hear the fans, but otherwise I don't notice them. I actually wish they were a bit stronger. I don't see myself ever using the low or mid setting. I'd like it if the low setting cooled as much as the current highest setting, and it went up from there.

The heated seats are also nice. One odd thing is that you can turn the heated seats on at the same time as the ventilated seats - I'm not sure why you'd want to.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I also have the ventilated seats and they are definitely worth the price (especially with the top down on a hot day). If I'm stationary with no music playing I can hear the fans, but otherwise I don't notice them. I actually wish they were a bit stronger. I don't see myself ever using the low or mid setting. I'd like it if the low setting cooled as much as the current highest setting, and it went up from there.

The heated seats are also nice. One odd thing is that you can turn the heated seats on at the same time as the ventilated seats - I'm not sure why you'd want to.
My understanding of the ventilated seats as opposed to A/C seats is that it draws air and moisture away so not directly cooling the seats. So it can be used when the heated seats are on preventing your back from sweating while keeping you warm. I have tried this during the winter and it works very well. However on a hot day I find that I need to turn on A/C to have the ventilated seats work effectively. At which point I do find myself turning down the setting. So in the case of your Boxster when you have the top down on a hot day, the ventilated seats need to be turned to max as it's now circulating warmer air to cool you. (Thus not as effective). It would be interesting to hear from someone with experience with both the ventilated and A/C seats as I only have experience with ventilated seats.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
My understanding of the ventilated seats as opposed to A/C seats is that it draws air and moisture away so not directly cooling the seats. So it can be used when the heated seats are on preventing your back from sweating while keeping you warm. I have tried this during the winter and it works very well. However on a hot day I find that I need to turn on A/C to have the ventilated seats work effectively. At which point I do find myself turning down the setting. So in the case of your Boxster when you have the top down on a hot day, the ventilated seats need to be turned to max as it's now circulating warmer air to cool you. (Thus not as effective). It would be interesting to hear from someone with experience with both the ventilated and A/C seats as I only have experience with ventilated seats.
Exactly: on a cold day, turn on the heated seats to feel good on a sore back, and turn on a little ventilation to dry the sweat.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts