Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you with a 2010 Cayman or Boxster with the standard steering wheel... How does the new wheel compare to the Gen 1 standard steering wheel (the skinny rimmed one with the triangular airbag). I understand that the new wheel is thicker and has a smaller diameter.

Would upgrading to the 2010 wheel on a gen 1 Cayman make a significant difference. I know many people have upgraded to thicker wheels, but I haven't heard any direct comparisons of the old standard wheel with the new one.

Forget the cost to upgrade for now. I definitely would like a thicker wheel with a smaller diameter. I am just curious if the new wheel is much better or barely any different from the old wheel except for appearance.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a '06 Boxster and in December bought an '09 Cayman S with the thicker steering wheel. I personally think it makes a huge difference. I love the feel of the thicker wheel. Now every time I drive the Boxster it feels inadequate. Definitely thinking of upgrading it.

·
Registered
625 Posts
The 2010 standard wheel is what the old sport wheel was. There is no longer an option for the sport wheel as it is standard. The design is based on the PDK wheel with the center airbag section being smaller. So I guess you could buy the gen 1 sport wheel or the gen 2 standard wheel depending on your taste as far as looks. I believe feel wise they should be similar if not identical.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
The new wheel is better size, better thickness and better shaped :) .
BUT the leather is a smooth type, and it is BAD. Its too slippery :eek: for my liking and now I will have to wear gloves for track work :( .
The Alcantara version I am seriously considering to change to now. I will run a track day in a weeks time and see how it goes as is.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I do like the new wheel, and I guess what I should really do is check one out at the dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently switched my original wheel on my 2006 Cayman S to a 2010 version for many of the reasons quoted above. However, the horn does not work now and wonder if anybody else has had this problem and if there is a fix.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just got my 2009 Cayman and I am seriously thinking of getting the 2010 turbo MF for MT...since its thicker, has thumb bumps ....hadn't thought about the alcantra stuff....

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mac,

I was told that the connector on the 2010 wheel is different than on the gen 1 wheels. There are 2 extra pins I believe. Is this true? I imagine some of the pins might be different causing the horn to not work. Even worse would be if the airbag doesn't work, but I think you would have gotten an error message.

Please let us know if you find anything out. I don't know if anyone else here has made the swap, so good luck.

·
Registered
160 Posts
some cars, mostly likely Gen 1 may need a new control module and wiring harness....so it should be doable....perhaps a better option is to get a Gen 1 sport steering wheel....thicker, thumb bumps and round air bag...not cheap...but perhaps cheaper....

·
Registered
165 Posts
Contact Ric at suncoast 877-923-1700 he can get you all the parts and adapters to make the switch. Very easy to do. Definatly do it! Tell him that JetSet Ted sent you too!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Personally, I don't care for the round hub I prefer the triangle shape, seems more traditional maybe. I hope Porsche comes up with something new for 2012.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks, I'll call Ric and see what he suggests. I actually got the wheel from him late last year but as the car has been garaged over the winter I've not bothered too much about it. However with spring approaching and the annual inspection due I need to get this sorted.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks, I'll call Ric and see what he suggests. I actually got the wheel from him late last year but as the car has been garaged over the winter I've not bothered too much about it. However with spring approaching and the annual inspection due I need to get this sorted.
Any luck on solving the problem? Was this a replacement for a manual or tiptronic?

I have an '08 manual and want to upgrade to the 2010 style as well. I had been planning to order just the wheel and the airbag, but those 2 parts maybe not enough.

99780308911XXX - airbag in leatherette $822 retail (XXX is the color code)
99734780351XXX - manual steering wheel $689 retail

·
Registered
309 Posts
I spoke to Aaron at Suncoast and the 2010 wheel requires a new steering wheel control module (~$200) to be installed and reprogrammed. That will solve the horn issue. I'm planning to make the switch soon.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Can somebody clarify this for me please.

Pictures I've seen of the Cayman R show the "PDK with paddles" wheel, without the paddles, when ordered with the 6-speed manual shift.

However the Cayman S and Spyder have the same wheel but with slightly nasty plastic on the spokes, instead of the brushed aluminium look of the branches of the 'R'.

Can anyone confirm this, I want to be sure the stock wheel is the one I expect i.e. The PDK-look wheel (without paddles).

Hope I am not sounding too confusing....

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think you're talking about the Sport Design wheel, widely available on 911 models but only Caymans w/PDK. I wanted this wheel on my CS 6MT order but was told "not available currently."

I think it's the lighting that makes some look "plasticky..." - all the same wheel.

It's gorgeous. Best looking wheel ever IMO and a no-brainer if PDK is your thing...

Here:
View attachment 16789

1 - 20 of 48 Posts