Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All-

I'm considering purchasing a 2008 Cayman with 8100 miles on it. I've spent the past few days reading through the forums and getting a general sense of how people feel about their cars and looking for any major issues people have had with them. I've never owned a Porsche and maintenance/reliability are important to me so I would like to get a sense of what people think about buying a used Cayman.

The car I'm looking at was purchased in 7/2008, then had service at 4800 miles in 6/2009 and then again at 6500 miles in 8/2009. It was then sold in November at 8100 miles and is now available. I'm planning on calling the dealership today where the car was serviced to see if they will disclose what issue(s) were addressed. I'm nervous that there was a major issue with the car and the dealer couldn't fix it so the owner sold it.

I would be using the car as a daily driver and putting about 20 miles a day on it. I've previously only owned BMWs (2001 325xi, 2001 Z4 2.5, and a 2005 X3) so I'm very familiar with how their service intervals work and the maintenance needed to keep them on the road. I've never had problems with any of the BMWs I've owned and am looking to see how maintenance is for the Cayman. I'm also looking at a used 2008 BMW 135i but I really like the looks of the Cayman and have wanted one since the first time I saw one on the road. I'm just a bit nervous about getting a Porsche as I've heard they are maintenance nightmares and need a lot of TLC. I've also heard the service intervals are frequent and cost about $500 each time. I don't have a problem with that per se, but I'd like to know what I'm going to be dealing with if I decide to get the Cayman.

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Obviously you all love your Caymans but I'd appreciate any advice you can give as I try to make my decision in the next few days.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
There is a lot of information on this site from the many of us who have bought a pre-owned Porsche at some point. Caymans are reliable & relatively cheap to maintain (particularly as compared with the older air-cooled models you may have read about, and which many love nonetheless).

Given the apparent depth of your concern (to which you are entitled of course) my opinion would be to 1) find out if you have a reliable dealer nearby, and 2) contact them to ask for the expected service schedule and prices (yes, there are dealers that will do this for you - such as mine), 3) ask them to run a VIN check for potentially undisclosed reports 4) ask what they will charge to do a pre-purchase vehicle inspection & 5) remember too that you have the manufacturers warranty (ask the dealer about it, for peace of mind if nothing else).

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Hi All-

I'm just a bit nervous about getting a Porsche as I've heard they are maintenance nightmares and need a lot of TLC.

I've been driving Porsches for more than 45 years and I have never heard that nor has it been my experience.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I purchased my first Porsche in 1970 and many after that one. Like anything if you take care of it your issues should be few.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've been driving my first Porsche for 20 months now. I had some of your concerns, too. The fact is that as a "premium" low-volume car, some items are going to be more costly than on "normal" cars. As a BMW owner, I'm sure you've accepted that to a point, so I guess the issue is how the Cayman stacks up against the BMWs. Mine has cost zero so far (OK, bought at 5250 miles, now at 14000, so limited data.)

I can tell you that the car impresses me in driving dynamics and engineering. I'm picky and critical (probably partly from MX experience regarding feel and response, etc.) and have no significant complaints. If you are buying the car for looks, you may end up disappointed that it is not a sedan at some point. It is most definitely not a sedan trying to be a driver's car - it is a sports car. World's different (better!) dynamically than any BMW I've driven. I like E46 M3s, BTW.

As a DD, it is compromised. If my drive was over lightly travelled twisty roads, it would be the ideal car. In traffic, well, other stuff is better. Then there is the thing with parking around others...

Bottom line: buy the Cayman!

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
If you haven't yet, take a read through the FAQ - in particular, this one:

Planet-9 - FAQ: Questions & Answers

Porsche are not nightmares to maintain - the regular service intervals are 1-year or 10-12k miles - not that big a deal.

I've owned Porsches for 30 years, and these are far and away the most reliable and easy to maintain. If it's not a CPO car from a Porsche dealer, I would highly recommend a PPI at a Porsche dealer or independent shop - well worth the money.

brad

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
I bought a used 2006 CS with about 14K miles on it - I now have about 35K miles and the only issue I have had was a catalytic converter that needed to be replaced (occurred in a number of the early 06s).

I certainly wouldn't characterize the 987s as "maintenance nightmares" or requiring lots of TLC - witness the fact that both the Cayman and Boxster ranked in the top 10 of Consumer Reports recent owner satisfaction surveys.

If you are concerned, perhaps paying a little extra for the CPO warranty would help to alleviate your concerns, but as the service advisor at my local dealer once said to me, these cars are built to be driven hard.

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
I don't see anything wierd about the dates that the car went in for service. 11 months before the first...likely an oil change only. Second service could be anything. I would be more upset if it WAS NOT taken in for service.

·
Registered
882 Posts
In May 2008, I bought a CPO 2006 Cayman S with 12.4K miles. Love the car. Now with 20 months under my belt and 20K more miles, no problems except the CD player went out and was replaced under warranty.

If you do buy it, suggest you really study the owners manual. Porsches have lots of nifty features. And enjoy the ride.

In fact, now the rain has stopped, I feel another ride coming on. Ed

. TEH CD player w

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sometimes the warranty will start before the car was purchased. This seems to be common on 2008 cars bought in calendar year 2009. A Porsche service department should be able to tell you the start date of the warranty if you give them the VIN. Given the current # of miles and your expected driving distances, the you'll run out of time before mileage, so you'll want to know if you have 2.5 years warranty or 2.0 years warranty.

I bought a new 2008 a few months ago. It was an S model for $48k discounted from $66k sticker. That's the best price I've heard of on a new 2008 S. In addition to the down economy, I think that the 2009 refresh (especially the DI engine) hurt the $ value of the 2008, which you can use when negotiating.

Is your car at a Porsche dealer? Is it a CPO (certified pre-owned)? Seems slightly too new to be a lease return.

As far as running costs, remember that we Porsche owners (at least the ones on this site) are a finicky bunch. We are more attuned to the slightest of problems and are willing to fix them so that the car perfectly. I've had problems with ever car I've ever owned that most people would just ignore if they even detected them at all.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well I purschase a 2007 2.7l cayman with 47k on the odometere! yeah lots of miles but a great deal. So far it has been nothing but a joy. I used it as a daily driver and on all but the worse days in the pacific NW it does a great job and it puts a smile on my face in the morning and again in the evening. Great two piece of bread for a work sandwich! Buy It! but get the PPI and in general be ready to put some money in it at the start. Add $1k to the purchase price and if you can afford that go for it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to everyone for the feedback today.

I called the service department where the Cayman was serviced and talked to a service representative for about what service had been done on the car and then asked about maintenance schedules, etc. She said the car had been serviced twice, the first time to replace a bulb in the rear brake light and the second time to touch up some light scratching on the passenger door. She said no mechanical service was done on the car. She did say it had an oil change at the most recent service in June. She also said she personally knew the (former) owner of the car and that he takes really good care of his cars. She also said the warranty was good until 6/2010.

I asked her about Porsche recommended maintenance and intervals, and then asked her to speak about recurring problems they see with the Cayman. She said they recommend oil changes every year or 10,000 miles and that her dealership charged about $210 for that service. She said recommended service intervals were at 20k miles, 40k miles, 60k miles, etc, and that they typically charged about $850 for that service. She said the Cayman was an excellent car and that they didn't get too many in for the same problems. She did recommend a PPI and said she would be happy to get that done for me next week. The Cayman I'm looking at isn't at a dealership but is just a few blocks from the dealership I spoke with (and where the Porsche was bought and serviced) so I can try to make that happen. My only problem is that I'm located about 150 miles from the car/dealer so logistics will be an issue. I was impressed with the service person taking the time to talk to me and answer all of my questions. She knew I was calling from out of town and said she would be willing to help however she could.

I'm still on the fence about the car, but I'm hoping to come to a decision soon. I guess I'm just a bit intimidated with the Porsche name and am trying to make sense of what it means to me. I love the Cayman and would love to have one, but I'm nervous about moving to a brand of car and the "unexpectedness" of it.

Thanks again to everyone that replied. It is apparent that all of you love your cars and that means something nowadays.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to everyone for the feedback today.

I called the service department where the Cayman was serviced and talked to a service representative for about what service had been done on the car and then asked about maintenance schedules, etc. She said the car had been serviced twice, the first time to replace a bulb in the rear brake light and the second time to touch up some light scratching on the passenger door. She said no mechanical service was done on the car. She did say it had an oil change at the most recent service in June. She also said she personally knew the (former) owner of the car and that he takes really good care of his cars. She also said the warranty was good until 6/2010.

I asked her about Porsche recommended maintenance and intervals, and then asked her to speak about recurring problems they see with the Cayman. She said they recommend oil changes every year or 10,000 miles and that her dealership charged about $210 for that service. She said recommended service intervals were at 20k miles, 40k miles, 60k miles, etc, and that they typically charged about $850 for that service. She said the Cayman was an excellent car and that they didn't get too many in for the same problems. She did recommend a PPI and said she would be happy to get that done for me next week. The Cayman I'm looking at isn't at a dealership but is just a few blocks from the dealership I spoke with (and where the Porsche was bought and serviced) so I can try to make that happen. My only problem is that I'm located about 150 miles from the car/dealer so logistics will be an issue. I was impressed with the service person taking the time to talk to me and answer all of my questions. She knew I was calling from out of town and said she would be willing to help however she could.

I'm still on the fence about the car, but I'm hoping to come to a decision soon. I guess I'm just a bit intimidated with the Porsche name and am trying to make sense of what it means to me. I love the Cayman and would love to have one, but I'm nervous about moving to a brand of car and the "unexpectedness" of it.

Thanks again to everyone that replied. It is apparent that all of you love your cars and that means something nowadays.

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
Porsches get a bad reputation for to main reasons. One, some owners do not maintain the car properly, do not use Porsche parts or Porsche approved/trained mechanics. Sometimes that leads to problems that Porsche gets blamed for. The same can be said for some modifications that owners make that can cause service problems. For a first time owner it would be a good idea to buy a car that has been properly serviced, continue that service as recommended by Porsche and go lightly on modifications until comfortable making thoughtful decisions. Getting the information from the dealer about this car is an excellent due diligence step.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
She also said she personally knew the (former) owner of the car and that he takes really good care of his cars. She also said the warranty was good until 6/2010.
If the Porsche service person said that the car is under warranty until 6/2010, then something is a little fishy. The factory warranty is 4 years/50k miles. This car, if it was a MY 2008, and originally bought and put into service in 7/2008 as calimed, would have a warranty that would last until 6/2012, not 2010. If that 6/2010 is really the case, then my guess is that this is not a MY 2008 car. For the warranty to be finished as she claims, this would be a 2006 car that was not sold until 2008 - which is hard to imagine, but not impossible. You should probably do a little more checking - maybe talk to the dealer service person again and ask her to run the VIN one more time and see what model year the car actually is.

brad

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
+1 and ask to talk to the previous owner. Most will be happy to answer questions and most sellers will be glad to assist if everything is on the up and up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Msunshine. Having bought a used '08 Cayman S in August, and as a former BMW person, hopefully this will help.

My first inkling to consider the CS was in 2008 when I spoke with the President of the local PCA chapter at a car show that I was volunteering at. He raved about this model and indicated that he favored it over the other P-cars that he had owned.

At this year's show, I was speaking with another P-car owner who had a 993, which is what I had been considering. He told me that his wife had a Cayman and his brother a CS- and that they had been bulletproof. After additional research, such as what you are doing, I couldn't find anything to discredit that statement.

I then started my search and found a good used CS with low miles- again similar to your quest, with a good service history- and pulled the trigger. This is my daily driver and I couldn't be happier. A bit firmer ride than the last BMW that I had, but not too overbearing. My wife actually prefers this ride to our '07 Honda Accord Coupe!

Hope this helps and my advice is to :banana:GO FOR IT :banana: if this is a car that you want. Life is too short and you can always sell it after the warranty expires if the costs are too high (which they shouldn't be!)

Cheers,

fd

·
Registered
433 Posts
Your following statement was always a concern for me. After driving the Croc for several months I have come to the conclusion that this car is not for everyone. Therefore people buy and then find out it is not a cushy luxury car and get out. This is a race car with a license plate.

"I'm nervous that there was a major issue with the car and the dealer couldn't fix it so the owner sold it."

I had plans on using mine as a DD, it has become a third car that sees more use on sunny days and weekend blasts. Just a thought on why you see so many cars on the block often and with little mileage... just my :2cents:

Buy it and rev the daylights out of it...

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
I am a little amazed to hear that Porsche is supposed to be more issue prone then other sportscars. I never heard and certainly never experienced that. I have 3 P-cars and other than service have never needed to see the shop for any issue. I DD one of the P-cars. I cretainly do not baby my cars. I usually require an alignment about every 3 months on one of the cars because they a driven daily and the roads in DC are ****. But no other issues.

If you drive conservatively about 15,000 miles annually I would not expect more than 1 service per year and a tire, pads etc change about every other year or less.

If you are handy and do it yourself you can save $100 on the oil change, you certainly can chnage air filters etc yourself.

Now I really have to say I am shocked, thinking back to living in Germany, to me Porsche is the only high performance sports car that you can drive daily to work and take to the track on the weekend without modifications and/or issues. Sure you can mod to have more fun at the track but my point is you sure can't do this with a Ferrari, Lambo and sorry Corvette and sorry AMGs and Ms are sport sedans and not sports car, discussion for another day.

P-cars in germany are driven faster and harder than anyone here ever will on a daily basis and through the winter. It is not a rare scene to see a 911 with ski rack in a little ski village in Austria or where ever, do that in a Corvette.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
I'm just a bit nervous about getting a Porsche as I've heard they are maintenance nightmares and need a lot of TLC.
Where did you hear that?

A Porsche doesn't require any more TLC than any other nice car (BMW for example). It might get more TLC but that's because a lot of us Porsche owners are fanatics. :crazy:

I'm on my fourth Porsche. I've never had any maintenance nightmares.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts