Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never really liked clear bras, but I just had my front bumper resprayed, and my hood is still pretty free of nicks/scratches. It appears that I could get a clear bra installed for around $600 - thoughts? Any good/bad experiences?

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have it, it came from the dealer with it. Still looks good after a decade but my car is always inside a garage. Having said that if a day comes that it has to be removed, I have no idea what that will cost or whether the car would then need paint, which would suck.

·
Registered
218 Posts
my 981 needed a respray after 4 years, I’ve put xpel on it after 3 weeks. It’s still on it (4 years later), my new Spyder has black ppf on it besides Xpel on bumper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
For those who use Xpel - whole car, or just front bumper/hood?
I did "full" Expel front end. (grill, hood, mirrors, and front fenders) It's also possible to do a "half" front end, but that leaves a somewhat visible line halfway up the hood, and on the quarter fenders. It's held up well.

·
Registered
2004 BMW 330i ZHP, 2011 BMW 1M Coupe, 2017 GTI
30 Posts
I would get it just on front bumper and maybe rocker panel/rear bulge area but you have to be willing to change it in 7-10 years depending on whether it sees a lot of sun or not. I agree, I have never liked it much myself but I bought a car with it and if you like to drive, it does help a little bit. I also love it when people say it's good for 10 years when a product has only been out for couple of years. : ) Then when it fails, the installers just blame the owner...he didn't take care of it, bad paint, blah blah. So bottom line I share some reservations but if you keep it to a small, high impact area like the front bumper, I would do it. Just make sure it is someone really good at it and if they take the bumper off, that they budget new plastic disposable type clips if there are any. I definitely would never do the half cover where they cover half the hood like in the old days. You end up with a wax line if you take it off and makes waxing a pain to clean off that line. Good luck.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I don't recall what we used on ours but we had it applied back in 2014. It has done its job -- the covered paint has been protected. The clear bra itself looks terrible with marks and so on. Going to give Gyeon's PPF Renew a shot but the clear bra itself is probably just way overdue for replacement.

Not sure if I'd do it again or not and that's after owner another former vehicle that collected rock chips like crazy. I would +1 the comments on only doing full panels, not half or any other partial coverage.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Never do half a panel/hood.
The seam catches wax/polish and generally looks awful over time.

Whole hood for sure if you want hood protected.

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk
Agreed. The previous owner of my car only did half the hood and EVERY time I look at the car, it just screams cheapness. The problem for me now is that I would have to pay extra to get it removed and redone properly. PPF-ing the whole front end is sadly so expensive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2 cents. I had film installed on my 2012 Cayman R from the front bumper back including the doors and roof. Later I kicked myself for not doing the whole car since I picked up a lot of chips in the paint behind the rear wheels over time. I had my new 2021 Cayman completely wrapped. Yes I garage the car but stone chips, Love Bugs, and trip sap are hard to avoid. Not cheap but worth it to me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
For those who use Xpel - whole car, or just front bumper/hood?
I did the hood (Xpel), about 1/2 of the front fenders, back of mirrors, doorhandle cups, and the vertical strips in front of the rear wheels. Beyond that it’s sort of silly. I did something similar for my wife’s new Cayenne. Any car that I ever purchased that I actually care about I will do this for in the future.

·
Registered
9 Posts
XPEL for 2014 981 front clip (bumper, full hood and fenders, mirrors, door edges). After about 4 years, slight yellowing present on close inspection. Replaced under XPEL 10 year warranty… to my surprise. What a stand up company! Unfortunately, removing the original pulled some paint off bumper, repainted for a discounted price by body shop doing the XPEL warranty work.

Prior 2003 M3 without clear bra, front end looked like it had been sand blasted by freeway driving. Would definitely get clear bra again!

I’ve had a half hood on prior 987 - would not do that.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mine came on it as well (2015 981CS) and the rewards far outweigh the negatives in my view - you cannot tell until I point it out, takes sealants, Si02 etc just like paint, and will save you a few front end and rear end scratches, It is also self healing, should be good for at least 8-10 years I would say, then take it all off, have the car paint refreshed and put it back on! I would definitely do it when it is my turn and I still have the car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I installed Xpel in 2014 on my 981, which I track regularly. front bumper, full hood, rocker panel, mirrors, door handles and behind the rear wheel. I know it has protected my car from sand blasting and rocks. Several nicks in the Xpel but no damage to paint. Car still looks great! I would definitely do again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have never really liked clear bras, but I just had my front bumper resprayed, and my hood is still pretty free of nicks/scratches. It appears that I could get a clear bra installed for around $600 - thoughts? Any good/bad experiences?
Just got my turbo S done for 800 entire front and back fenders mirrors a pillar it has a 10 year warranty done is scottsdale AZ it is very hard to see it and works great just put over 1500 miles on it not a mark!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Be careful of the product brand you use. Depending on color of vehicle, some yellow and need to be replace aftera period of time. . We put this on 2 GT4's by local SEMA wrap winner. Anything looking forward wrapped. Have you checked out ceramics?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts