Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Also, from what I am told by the folks that do stuff like ceramic Coatings and Film is that the products and chemistry behind them has progressed rapidly in recent history. There's stuff they have available today that was a pipe dream only 3 or 4 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Mine came on it as well (2015 981CS) and the rewards far outweigh the negatives in my view - you cannot tell until I point it out, takes sealants, Si02 etc just like paint, and will save you a few front end and rear end scratches, It is also self healing, should be good for at least 8-10 years I would say, then take it all off, have the car paint refreshed and put it back on! I would definitely do it when it is my turn and I still have the car.
This is my thinking as well. After trying to maintain the paint for 3 years I gave up, had the paint corrected and then had the whole car done with a PPF. It looks great all the time and if I want it to look even more “wet” I apply a layer of wax on the PPF.

I consider it insurance. I’ll have it all removed 10 years in and just have it re-done.

Finally, people get really picky about their PPF looking perfect. I think of it like a latex floor. It’s going to end up showing how much fun you’ve had with it. Don’t sweat it - just plan to replace it in a decade.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Don’t sweat it - just plan to replace it in a decade.
Optimist. ;) I am counting at least 3 hits where it (rock) went completely though the PPF and tore it, damaging the paint below.

Anyway, I am thinking about removing the protective film, doing paint correction and then re-applying it. I shudder at the thought what it would look like now without full front PPF, after driving here for 5+ years.

·
Registered
12 Posts
One of those times I love this forum, even if the consensus seems to be "it's subjective." I got my 2009 Caymen S last year at a deal. It had the PPF on the front only. I'd say it's obvious but not yellowing. I have been debating whether to remove it, just to have one reapplied, remove and repaint and re-apply, remove and not reapply. Then I came across this forum. I didn't even know about PPF renewal products. So no point here except to say "thanks" to Planet 9 community members. Unlike a lot of online forums, I actually learn a thing or two on here. Happy Driving!

·
Registered
5 Posts
It honestly depends on your driving style and how you use the car. If your car sees the track I would say no question. If you drive aggressively and spend time behind trucks and suvs, absolutely.

If your car is more of a weekend warrior that only goes on drives in the back roads I'd say probably not. If you want to keep your car perfect you have to look at it as maintenance. Either pay it up front if you want to keep original paint, otherwise plan on throwing some paint on the leading edges every few years. I'd have a body shop in mind that knows how to blend.

For me, the amount of rubber my car picked up on my first track weekend has me 100% sold.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts