21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Noob
857 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
I do appreciate the question. My thoughts in no particular order:
1) The solid member-base will support you which ever route you take. $$$ Many of us visit the site several times per day.
2) If it were me, I would not be in the business of supporting a competitor
3) If necessary, start w/ a MVP site (minimal viable product)
4) Ask your sponsors if they have an opinion
5) I presume you've got stats that allow you to charge a sponsor $X because of the existing membership AND due to Google (or Bing) "hits".

Good luck w/ a tough decision.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
It sounds like it's time to get out of bed with the competition.
That really is not a hard decision. The difficult part is choosing the new platform and making it work for the guys like me that do not like change. Having said that, I think the 50-75% of the members who like things "as is" are 100% behind the new Planet 9 (whenever it happens).

Thanks for asking for comments/input!

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
I'm onside for Option 3, although not necessarily XenForo. Shop around, find something that meets your needs, then tell community members what it's going to cost. If the last site upgrade campaign is an indication, a high percentage of users will step up.

Reactions: jhthornley

·
Registered
134 Posts
Whatever works best (#3?). I can adapt. Mobile access is a take it or leave it for me personally. I understand that it is important for others, though.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Im a newbie here, member just a few days and this is post #2, so my perspective is possibly a bit different.
most of my access is via iPad and the site is a bit of a pain compared to other forums I've used.
So I'd vote for a change.

But history and continuity is important.
keeping the brand and domain are key
keeping most of the content is also vital.
a place can survive a move to a clean slate, but it is traumatic.
what you do need to worry about is what would be lost and letting people know (say private messages won't port, people need to be aware. Losing garage doesn't sound that bad from what others said)
also little things like hassles for people who bookmarked a specific url, such as new posts or a particular forum. These would be unlikely to work if moving to different software. Also if it moves away from tapatalk support that could hassle some people.

Your die hard regulars will stay with you, as long as it isn't a disaster. But you don't want to lose too many casual members, they are what gives you bigger numbers on active members and unique viewers. They also add the extra spice to keep a forum from getting stale and just being an in-crowd!

hopefully advertisers will see a change as positive, a place that is still growing and with a plan for their future.

I think it seems that #3 is the best option, but also the most work, cost and user disruption.
Now to see if it happens before my car arrives!

·
Registered
9 Posts
3 sounds like the best choice. What ever you choose I am sure I will still be checking in daily!

Thanks for all everything you do to make this forum a great resource.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
I'll go with whatever you decide. I always come to this site on my computer so anything is fine with me.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
#3 might be best long run, but I wouldn't hurry if I were u. I use two different Android phones and two Android tablets, as well as my Windows laptop. All work fine on the regular site. I gave up on the mobile site and Tapatalk. With my Note 2 and Note 4 phones and my two Android tablets, the regular site works well for me.

Oh, and I should also add they will still find u. I found Planet 9 references on both of the other two Porsche forums I follow.

·
Registered
866 Posts
The nature of the existing situation cost/vs/functionality as well as the other aspects, I would vote for 3.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I believe that whatever you choose, the users will quickly adapt. Most of us are on here because of the content between forum members versus the layout of the site. People with little or no interest may not move over, but your core user base will. I can only speak for the 981 forum, but it is phenomenal.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am very familiar with both VB and Xenforo and I can tell you from first hand experience that VB5 is crap.

I built my last 5 forum sites in Xenforo and it is far superior to VB.

There is also great support from both Xenforo and the Xenforo community.

Racerxxx7

Reactions: CaptAnzuelo

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I vote for number 3. From a technical POV, having native mobile support is extremely important. And that's why google doesn't like the current setup. Also, you'd stop paying money to competitors.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My vote goes for #3. I'm strictly a mobile site viewer, so this option definitely is most appealing. I would urge all to be open to change -- we all tend to get comfortable with a familiar layout, but change can be good. Let's do it.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Be careful. It is good that you are polling the active membership to get their ideas. A few years ago the leading Audi forum which ran on kawf (AudiWorld) was purchased by Internet Brands. They then migrated the site to Virtual Bulletin and NOBODY liked the change. A resourceful member created a new kawf duplicate of the old site (QuattroWorld) and within days almost everybody moved and Internet Brands was left with crickets. It was entertaining to observe. I still far prefer the kawf format but most people are more accustomed to the VB. My point is that people do not accept change very well and a move to an entirely different format, even if superior in some ways, is risky. Good luck and thanks for what you do.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Option 3 for me as well. Like R9G, I am a mobile site viewer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 49 Posts