Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which do you think would be more appropriate? I wasn't originally going to order it due more sun exposure and wasn't sure if it felt right with the lightweight theme. When I saw the car in the flesh in LA, I started to have second thoughts as it looked quite nice in my opinion. Do you think the Leather would be subject to more sun fading than the normal plastic bits??? Any insight would be great.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Good question.....

Full leather probably only adds a few pounds to the interior, but adds a ton of "richness" as you saw. I have it in my CS and won't order another Porsche car without it.

Having said that though, I would worry about it long term in any Boxster/Spyder for as you said it will receive quite a bit of sun exposure,....and yes, the plastic bits will hold up better over time.

If I were ordering a Spyder though I'd get full black leather (any other colors offered?) and keep it very clean, conditioned, and covered whenever possible. If any long term fading occured you can always dye it back to a perfect black if necessary.

Mostly you will be concerned about "shrinkage" over time though, something that good conditioning will help greatly.

·
Registered
352 Posts
If you don't mind paying extra for it, nothing beats leather.

I'm in the leather furniture business, and have a product that is basically suntan lotion for leather with an SPF value of 80. Comes in 8 oz bottles all the way up to 5 gallon buckets. Spray it on every few months if you're concerned about sun fade. Porsche does treat its leather to resist sunlight fade, unlike household leather.

The real secret to leather longevity is to keep it clean and use the right products. For cleaning, a little Ivory bar soap on a damp washcloth is all you need (be sure to get the soap off with a damp followup rag).

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you think it looked nice in person then I would go for it. Like previous posts said, I don't think black leather would be that much of hassle in terms of care. I absolutely wouldn't have a Porsche without full leather interior. It makes all the difference in the world.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts

I'm in the leather furniture business, and have a product that is basically suntan lotion for leather with an SPF value of 80. Comes in 8 oz bottles all the way up to 5 gallon buckets. Spray it on every few months if you're concerned about sun fade. Porsche does treat its leather to resist sunlight fade, unlike household leather.

The real secret to leather longevity is to keep it clean and use the right products. For cleaning, a little Ivory bar soap on a damp washcloth is all you need (be sure to get the soap off with a damp followup rag).
I believe you seeing as it's your living, but man that sounds to easy.

Now mine just got parked, full leather, but I didn't clean, treat/condition it, too lazy, was going to get to it in the next week or so. But it is in near spotless condition anyway with hardly any signs of wear, vacuumed only for now, so would I be okay just using Ivory for storage? thanks.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Yes get full leather, but don't get fooled like me, thought full leather was door finishers, sun visors, steering column etc included with full leather option, tried to add on but the car's inventory was drawn down so I missed a couple things I wished I could have got, do a little homework on what you want.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I believe you seeing as it's your living, but man that sounds to easy.

Now mine just got parked, full leather, but I didn't clean, treat/condition it, too lazy, was going to get to it in the next week or so. But it is in near spotless condition anyway with hardly any signs of wear, vacuumed only for now, so would I be okay just using Ivory for storage? thanks.
I sell over a million dollars worth of leather furniture a year, believe me when I tell you that you can use something as simple as a bar of ivory soap for cleaning. In fact, if that's too much trouble, club soda on a clean towel works almost as well.

Having said that, I use LeatherMagic products on my auto interiors as well as my home furnishings. Not everyone wants to drop $ 60 for leather kit, which is full of good stuff like conditioners/protectants and UV lotion. That all jazzed up the leather but its not absolutely necessary. What is necessary is to get the oils and dirt off the hide to prevent deterioration of the tannins. Failure to clean the hides results in leather breakdown and de-lamination of the hides.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I wouldn't order the Spyder with full leather. It doesn't go with the Spyder theme. It adds some weight (ok only a few pounds) and needs maintenance (even more because your interior will be very exposed to the elements).
It looks luxurious but the Spyder wasn't meant or build for luxury.
I have full leather right now in my Cayman and don't think it's worth the extra $$. Also the car looks less sporty with full leather. Spend your money elsewhere (performance enhancement),
My 2 cents...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have full leather on my Boxster S and love it. I got black with white stitching and it looks really good. However, now that Im getting into DE's and such, I might have spent my $ on performance options. The leather does look nice though. So far sun exposure doesn't seem to be a problem. Good luck! I wish I was getting a Spyder!

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
We have both ends of the spectrum in our family. The CS has full natural leather, and the '09 Boxster has the base interior. The base interior isn't bad at all. In fact, it's just fine for a performance-oriented car. Full natural leather with all of the do-dads runs about $8K or so, which to some folks is better spent on, say, PCCB. :) Whatever. My advice - spend some time in a leather interior and see if you care about the difference. Some do, some don't.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
I got all the performance options and the full leather. My last four Porsches have had full leather, and I think it makes a huge difference. The plastic stuff they use on the dash and tops of the doors, while probably some of the best materials of their kind, seem tacky in a car like this, imo. In the Spyder's case, I can't see a big difference in weight, really... and the original Spyders came with a leather interior - so it goes very much with the theme of the car.

I also agree with drcollie - the leather is not that hard to take care of, and the factory does use UV coatings, so, the sun is really not an issue. I've seen a lot of late-model Cabriolets here in Vegas that are fine, even after quite a few years of dealing with the sunlight here. For care, I use Ivory very sparingly where there's any soiling, and water or club soda on a damp cloth to wipe-down the hides. After almost 4 years, 42k miles, three cross-country round-trips, and 35 or so track days, my sand beige interior still looks, smells, and feels brand new. Another thing you want to do is make sure the grit and dirt are vacuumed from the seat crevices - they will eventually break-down the stitching, and the seats will come apart.

brad

·
Registered
156 Posts
Do you think the Leather would be subject to more sun fading than the normal plastic bits??? Any insight would be great.
I agree, I have never owned a car without leather (excluding this odd imitation stuff in a 1989 S Class) and don't plan too. Unless of course it is a full Alcantara lined GT3!

I also agree with drcollie - the leather is not that hard to take care of, and the factory does use UV coatings, so, the sun is really not an issue. I've seen a lot of late-model Cabriolets here in Vegas that are fine, even after quite a few years of dealing with the sunlight here.
We have owned many Mercedes CLK's and SL's (ie convertibles) through the years and the leather holds up very, very well with the occasional cleaning and treatment every few months.

Something that no one has addressed, how often is this car going to be in the sun? I am assuming that it will be parked in the garage at night? And given the somewhat sparse nature of the top, it will more than likely not be driven in bad weather correct? So bottom line, unless your parking this car outside day in and day out without the top, I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Plus if you absolutely hate the leather, I'm sure there will be someone who didn't get it and wish they would have i.e. a trade could be negotiated.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok... I'm leaning more towards the Full Leather. When I had my 2007 Cayman, I always wish I had the Full Leather. My primary concern was durability and sun damage (I've never owned a roadster). I'm super anal and keep my rides super clean and condition my leather once a month. The car would be in a heated garage at home and a parking garage at work... so no extended exposure to sun or weather when not driving. Thanks everyone for your input. I'm going in Saturday to submit my order for my March build.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Full leather is the only option my CS doesn't have and having sat in many a 911 and a few Caymans/Boxsters with it I so wish mine had it. Just this option alone adds so much to the cabin and is the way a Porsche should be delivered in my eyes.

I think the weight factor is not a real arguement against as the richness and the "real" luxury the option brings far outweigh any downsides IMHO.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,272 Posts
Go with the full leather if you can.

·
Beach Nut
99 Posts
I love full leather and would want it in a Cayman or any coupe. Even then it requires care.

I just do not want it in an open car that I intend to keep for a long time.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Ok... I'm super anal and keep my rides super clean and condition my leather once a month. The car would be in a heated garage at home and a parking garage at work... so no extended exposure to sun or weather when not driving....
There's your answer. If you can afford it, I think full leather is well worth it, even better if it's the "natural" leather, which is higher quality.

The car will be special. Why not make it more so. If we all just wanted to go fast - there are plenty of other cheaper alternatives.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I ended up ordering my Spyder with the Full Leather... Didn't do the natural as it's in Carrera Red only, which I personally don't like. This is going to be a long 5-6 month wait!:helpme:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts