Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have almost 1000 miles on my CGTS, I like to share some observations for those who might be deciding between PASM and X73. First, I'll state that I'm likely a bit older than most of you (67), in reasonably good shape and have driven Porsches continually for more than 40 years. I've owned 15 different 911's (most recently a 991 Turbo S), a couple of Boxsters, and 3 Audi R8's (most recently a V10 Plus), but this is my first Cayman.

This Cayman may end up being my favorite car. It does everything I want and need so well.

As far as the X73, I think the best way to describe it on the crummy NJ roads is firm, but not harsh. I find the x73 suspension actually quite supple - it soaks up bumps and does not crash over them. There is some vertical motion over bumps, more than in the PASM equipped cars I've owned in normal mode, but less so than when PASM is in sport. It is more supple than the sport suspension that was in my R8 V10 Plus (the Plus has non-magnetic dampers - my R8 spyders had the magnetic suspensions and was too soft for me in normal and too firm in sport).

I contrast the Cayman X73 suspension to that of a Mini Cooper S that we owned, which also had a firm suspension but was quite harsh - you "crashed" over the road imperfections - the old "knock you fillings out" suspension. Nothing like that in the Cayman with x73.

I'll sum up by saying that I wouldn't be worried about the X73 for the street - to me, it's more than acceptable and provides some nice handling and appearance advantages. On the other hand, I'd also recommend a test drive especially if your significant other isn't into cars as much as you. My wife finds my Cayman (and most of my other cars!) too noisy and bumpy for her, so I tend to fly solo in my Cayman. Hope this helps, if you're trying to decide.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm also running X73 and 20's on NJ roads - care is required - but totally drivable. That being said, my 981C is now in hibernation until the spring. :sleep:

I would not choose anything but X73 for a 981 - it makes the car. Ride and stance are perfect.

·
Registered
71 Posts
After 400 miles in uk roads I agree with your thoughts.

Car is not extreme, a little bit too stiff only in case of strong bumps/pot holes.

But be careful with ground clerance, I think it is just below the limit for street use.

Roll? What is it? :D

·
Registered
948 Posts
I agree.

Coming from a 981 CS with PASM to a 981 CGTS, I would describe the X73 as only slightly firmer. To put the difference in numerical terms, if on my "butt" scale of 1 - 100, with 100 being firmest, I would describe the PASM car as a 60 with the X73 as a 65 to 68, or 5 - 8% firmer on every day driving streets. No where near super firm. I was expecting firmer.

Now, in the roll category, I can feel a big improvement. On a roll scale of 1 - 100, with 100 being full anti-roll, I would say the PASM on a CS was good at 70, but I would give the X73 as an 80-90, or a 10%-20% improvement.

Regarding the dynamic aspect of PASM, as I have stated in previous posts, I could never feel much of a difference between OFF, Normal, Sport, and Sport Plus - with perhaps a variance of 5% - 10% MAX in overall firmness.

Reactions: OhYeahS and sdj

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Nice comparison. I am put off by sport suspensions from my experience with them in 'hot hatches.' I mean I want good body control, but feeling the bump and giggle of the pavement cracks is too much. Okay on short trips maybe, but exhausting on longer ones (my commute is 1 hour and I take plenty of 3+ hour trips).

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Regarding the dynamic aspect of PASM, as I have stated in previous posts, I could never feel much of a difference between OFF, Normal, Sport, and Sport Plus - with perhaps a variance of 5% - 10% MAX in overall firmness.
You had OFF on your PASM?

Reactions: subshooter

·
Registered
948 Posts
You had OFF on your PASM?
Well, not exactly, but I did have a PASM button which I thought was off. But, I could not tell one way or the other!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I have to agree with this assessment. I also had a Mini Cooper S with the largest factory wheels and run flats. That car handled incredibly but was bone jarring over NJ roads. The X-73 ride for me is how I think a sports car should perform. I have 20" wheels and do not regret the choice. However, as much as I love the handling and the look of the lowered car with the 20's, once I get in it I prefer to not get in and out too many times a day. When this car is 10 or 20mm taller it
makes it noticeably easier to exit. Having said that, I love it just the way I ordered it!

Now that I have almost 1000 miles on my CGTS, I like to share some observations for those who might be deciding between PASM and X73. First, I'll state that I'm likely a bit older than most of you (67), in reasonably good shape and have driven Porsches continually for more than 40 years. I've owned 15 different 911's (most recently a 991 Turbo S), a couple of Boxsters, and 3 Audi R8's (most recently a V10 Plus), but this is my first Cayman.

This Cayman may end up being my favorite car. It does everything I want and need so well.

As far as the X73, I think the best way to describe it on the crummy NJ roads is firm, but not harsh. I find the x73 suspension actually quite supple - it soaks up bumps and does not crash over them. There is some vertical motion over bumps, more than in the PASM equipped cars I've owned in normal mode, but less so than when PASM is in sport. It is more supple than the sport suspension that was in my R8 V10 Plus (the Plus has non-magnetic dampers - my R8 spyders had the magnetic suspensions and was too soft for me in normal and too firm in sport).

I contrast the Cayman X73 suspension to that of a Mini Cooper S that we owned, which also had a firm suspension but was quite harsh - you "crashed" over the road imperfections - the old "knock you fillings out" suspension. Nothing like that in the Cayman with x73.

I'll sum up by saying that I wouldn't be worried about the X73 for the street - to me, it's more than acceptable and provides some nice handling and appearance advantages. On the other hand, I'd also recommend a test drive especially if your significant other isn't into cars as much as you. My wife finds my Cayman (and most of my other cars!) too noisy and bumpy for her, so I tend to fly solo in my Cayman. Hope this helps, if you're trying to decide.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I have to agree with this assessment. I also had a Mini Cooper S with the largest factory wheels and run flats. That car handled incredibly but was bone jarring over NJ roads.
I've had several MINIs with the large wheels, and sport suspension, once I got real tires the ride becomes much better, but still a little skitter over broken pavement. One of them got autocross tuned suspension, that actually gave it more compliance over large bumps (digressive in large velocity bump).

On the Cayman, the X73 soaks up the little bumps very well, and is very firmly planted on broken pavement. Its the larger bumps that it doesn't cope well with, I wonder if doing the same for the shocks as the MINI got would help. It still feels well planted and not upset by any road conditions. I've got used to the large bump behavior now.

I really like how the X73 feels connected to the road.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Well, not exactly, but I did have a PASM button which I thought was off. But, I could not tell one way or the other!
PASM is never off. The button simply changes the programming mode.

Reactions: Mike R.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts