Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.carmax.com/car/14130425

I requested the transfer to a CarMax closer to me, hence the reason why the price isn't popping up. It's going for $68,995. Of course, non-CPO and no PTV.

Used 2016 Porsche Cayman For Sale | Highland Park IL

This one is CPO but that luxor beige interior is.... less than desirable.

Part of me wants to go with the yellow one, but the warranty runs out in Jan/2019. The red one runs out in 2022.

Thoughts from the veterans?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yellow and Black vs Red and Tan, definitely 2 great options, can't go wrong with either. Personally I prefer the tan, on the other hand yellow is the rarest standard color.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
I can't tell what options the yellow one has but the yellow one is the better looking car. The black trim on the black car is the unpainted plastic. That turns dark grey over time and isn't as sharp. That trim on the yellow one is painted gloss black. Look closely at the side vents, back valance, front bumper and even the underside of the mirror trim (and around the mirrors, I think) - they are all glass black and they pop off the car. I don't know how much sun you'll get where you live but but the unpainted plastic that fades to dark grey over time - trust me on this. I JUST got all those bits (except the mirror) on my BS car replaced with gloss black and against the red base color, it looks amazing. 2 other things I like about the yellow one: AC seats (I'll never buy a car without them again) and the backup camera. However,

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
"2 other things I like about the yellow one: AC seats (I'll never buy a car without them again) and the backup camera"

Those two options are also very high on my wish list when shopping for a Porsche. I wish there were some sort of lightweight plexiglass hinged-sunroof option.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Another vote for the backup camera, heck cameras all around if they are available, trust me putting them in later is a real pain!

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Buying a car with an exterior or interior color you consider "less than desirable" isn't a good idea in my view. You'll be reminded you don't like it every time you look at or get into the vehicle. Wait for a car that ticks all your "must have" boxes.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The yellow one is going for $68995k.

My main concern is the CPO vs. non-CPO. I know CarMax prides themselves on their quality, but just something about CPO warranty gives me that piece of mind. My R32 GTR mechanic also works at a Porsche shop so he'll do the PPI with DME if I go with yellow.

The yellow one seems to be the better deal, as far as what it's equipped with.

https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/check-lookup/WP0AB2A83FK182045

Of course, as far as value and such goes, this one also draws my attention.

https://porschelarchmont.com/invent...New+York+2014+Rhodium+Silver+Metallic+1135105

The options that I've researched and decided that I want, are PASM (or sport suspension) and PSE. Infotainment, Sport Chrono, and PTV are also on the list but they aren't necessarily must-haves.

So indecisive of me...

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Colour, both inside and out, is utterly subjective and only you can be the judge. FWIW, the two tone luxor/black interior on a Guards Red car is as good as it gets for me.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Colour, both inside and out, is utterly subjective and only you can be the judge. FWIW, the two tone luxor/black interior on a Guards Red car is as good as it gets for me.

I know you're in Canada so this may not apply, but here in America, science is subjective and color is a fact -- and the facts are that yellow is better than red.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Really? That's one of the silliest questions I've ever heard (seen).
Not to take this thread off track but those wheels look KILLER on your car - awesome choice.

BTW my next Porsche is hopefully going to be a Racing Yellow GT4.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I'm going to put my 2 cents in, so take it for what is worth.

I'm not a big fan of the Racing Yellow GTS for a few reasons:

I'm not a huge fan of the Multifunction Steering wheel. -Sport Design looks so much better IMHO but this a matter of choice.

The tint on the side windows is way to dark for me, I occasionally drive a car with heavy tints on the front windows and it's horrible in the rain or at night. It just reduces visibility so much. I know it's correctable but do you really want to deal with it if it's an issue for you.

More importantly the 3 attached photos tell me this car isn't really presented that well and to me it's all about presentation with a car in this price range. i guess all of the issues here are correctable but whoever detailed that car did a POOR job. I would think one would present a $70K car a bit better.

I realize these sound like nit picking but I guess I'm getting older and very particular in my ways.

Finally, to me it was important to establish a relationship with my local Porsche dealer and more importantly with my sales rep and it's worked out very well. I shopped for a sales rep almost as hard as I shopped for my car and spoke with many of my clients who are Porsche enthusiasts and the same name came up several times and it's worked out well for me. If I have a question or issue I call my sales rep and he takes care of everything for me and to me that's very valuable. I've recommended him highly to a few people and they were all satisfied.

My point is if you buy from CarMax and there's an issue who are you dealing with - most likely a corporate person, price is important but I think relationships are much more important.

My advice at this point is to visit the closest reputable dealer in your area and seek out a reputable sales rep and tell him what your looking for he may have one coming in on trade - that's how I found mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Be careful with any car you choose with a light colored interior. That tan dash can be very reflective on sunny days and can be very annoying as it reflects up onto the window while driving. Its the small things that won't get noticed until possibly days later that can drive you crazy. The brushed aluminum like trim around my AC vents are like mirrors that can somehow laser focus all of their reflective properties right into my eyes on sunny days it seems:)

The larger piece around the center console was the worst, and I finally gave up and swapped it to carbon fiber because I was having to cover it with a T-Shirt while driving.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Be careful with any car you choose with a light colored interior. That tan dash can be very reflective on sunny days and can be very annoying as it reflects up onto the window while driving. Its the small things that won't get noticed until possibly days later that can drive you crazy. The brushed aluminum like trim around my AC vents are like mirrors that can somehow laser focus all of their reflective properties right into my eyes on sunny days it seems:)

The larger piece around the center console was the worst, and I finally gave up and swapped it to carbon fiber because I was having to cover it with a T-Shirt while driving.
I actually believe somewhere in the Porsche literature they do warn you that that color interior with that color dash can cause issues with reflectivity.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alright, so red is out then lol.

The yellow is very tempting, as that color grew on me and it's something I think I won't regret. The interior combination makes it look very nice.

The silver one I included in one of the messages above, I think is good value but a Cayman S.

At this point, it's coming down to value and price. I never thought making a decision on a Cayman was gonna be such work!

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Alright, so red is out then lol.

The yellow is very tempting, as that color grew on me and it's something I think I won't regret. The interior combination makes it look very nice.

The silver one I included in one of the messages above, I think is good value but a Cayman S.

At this point, it's coming down to value and price. I never thought making a decision on a Cayman was gonna be such work!
Hang on here, my understanding is that the Luxor glare problems are with the dash. This car has two-tone, and the dash is black.

It's work, but it's fun work!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.