Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Cars for Sale: 2007 Porsche Cayman S in Mcallen, TX 78503: Coupe Details - 405052028 - Autotrader

I've been talking to the gentleman that has this 2007 CS for sale in Texas. I live in PA, so am trying to do my homework before buying airline tickets. Attached is the car fax report and a former interested buyer's PPI report. It is a two owner, 26,000 miles, all original, no mods. The owner said that last year the car sat for about 8 months (covered in a garage) and the battery went dead. After that the key fobs have not worked. I called my Porsche dealer and they said worst case they will have to be replaced (if they are not in sleep mode). I asked the dealer if I should be worried about the car having sat for 8 months with really no storage preparation. They said no, and that the cars are pretty robust. The current owner has been driving it since, so it is being used lightly currently.

So, known issues: Worst case, new key fobs at about $500, and all four tire pressure monitors need replaced at $1200 (dealer said they are only good for about 5-6 years). Owner is asking about $35,000 but seems very eager to negotiate.

View attachment PorscheCamyanS_2007.pdf

I'll try and add the PPI report later.

Thanks,

Dane

·
Registered
445 Posts
The key fobs could just be in need of new batteries. It'll run $3 for 2 at your local Walmart/drug store. TPMS can be bought for under $200 a set for the OEM stuff from one of our sponsors, Titan TPMS.

·
Registered
336 Posts
If the car sits for a long period without being started the remote operation of the key fobs won't work. But once the car is started the system "wakes up" again. On my car this seems to happens if I don't start the car for a week or so. I'm not sure if having a dead battery would complicate the situation, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The owner has been driving it once a week recently and has not mentioned any flat spots. Good point though:)

·
Registered
895 Posts
Nice looking CS.

36 grand for a 981.1 CS (even a nice one) is too much IMO. 33 grand is what I'd pay if it is a no issues Cayman.

Here's the abbreviated build sheet. MSRP of 66 grand.

https://admin.porschedealer.com/reports/build_sheets/print.php?vin=WP0AB29827U782808

I would have a PPI done. McAllen looks to be in the relative middle of nowhere.

I was looking at a Cayman in that area last year and the nearest PCAR PPI shop I could find was in Corpus Christi, which is a long ways from McAllen.

Good luck,

Eddie

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice looking CS.

36 grand for a 981.1 CS (even a nice one) is too much IMO. 33 grand is what I'd pay if it is a no issues Cayman.

Here's the abbreviated build sheet. MSRP of 66 grand.

https://admin.porschedealer.com/reports/build_sheets/print.php?vin=WP0AB29827U782808

I would have a PPI done. McAllen looks to be in the relative middle of nowhere.

I was looking at a Cayman in that area last year and the nearest PCAR PPI shop I could find was in Corpus Christi, which is a long ways from McAllen.

Good luck,

Eddie
Actually a PPI was already completed by a previous potential buyer last week. That deal fell through as he couldn't get the financing...but he allowed the owner to keep the PPI results. I have them and intend on posting them here after work tonight.

·
Registered
895 Posts
The available PPI might save you a couple hundred so that's good news. I would be 100% certain it was done by a knowledge PCAR shop and that it is legitimate.

Given the key fob and TMPS sensor issues (that I missed earlier), I'd only pay 32 grand.

Here's a much better deal IMO and way easier to handle logistically.

2006 Porsche Cayman S

Good luck,

Eddie

Actually a PPI was already completed by a previous potential buyer last week. That deal fell through as he couldn't get the financing...but he allowed the owner to keep the PPI results. I have them and intend on posting them here after work tonight.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The available PPI might save you a couple hundred so that's good news. I would be 100% certain it was done by a knowledge PCAR shop and that it is legitimate.

Given the key fob and TMPS sensor issues (that I missed earlier), I'd only pay 32 grand.

Here's a much better deal IMO and way easier to handle logistically.

2006 Porsche Cayman S

Good luck,

Eddie
Do to several reason, including logistics, TPMS and key fobs and that the PPI was not performed at a Porsche dealer, I wouldn't bother flying from PA to TX unless I could get the car for $30,000 or less. So, th PP was performed at Autohaus of McAllen (McAllen TX). Their website states they are a Bosch service center. Anyone familiar with them??

Dane

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I wouldn't bother flying from PA to TX unless I could get the car for $30,000 or less.
+1 on your price est. It doesn't have a lot of options - heated seats, Bose prem, Sport Design wheels, and bi-xenon. And why would you put new tires on w/o doing the TPMS?

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I think about 30,000 maybe a little more is the right price if super clean, I paid 36,000 for a almost perfect 2008 with 14,000 miles, 2.5 years ago.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all! It is good to talk with folks that have experience. I checked on airfare. It is only $335 one-way which isn't bad. But the whole transaction will end up taking about 5 days with travel, deal, then return travel. 5 days of hard earned vacation...haha.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Here is the PPI from Autohaus of McAllen TX. They might be out of order…but you get the just:)

View attachment 61704 View attachment 61705 View attachment 61706 View attachment 61707 View attachment 61708 View attachment 61709

Does anyone know if there is an over-rev code here??

Dane
The over rev report is on the last page. It shows 2 ignitions in the Range 3, at the same time as the ones in Range 1 and 2, which would indicate it was a single event. It is nothing to worry about so the over rev report looks okay.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hmm. $35,999 is really steep for this car. As one other poster noted, there aren't a lot of options on this car. Mileage is low and the color combo is great. But, beyond that, there aren't enough options to push this car much above $30k. As a point of reference, I bought my '07 CS 15 months ago for $34.5k, with 39,000 miles. But it is loaded; the only option it doesn't have is auto climate. Just another data point for your consideration.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Do to several reason, including logistics, TPMS and key fobs and that the PPI was not performed at a Porsche dealer, I wouldn't bother flying from PA to TX unless I could get the car for $30,000 or less. So, th PP was performed at Autohaus of McAllen (McAllen TX). Their website states they are a Bosch service center. Anyone familiar with them??

Dane
Autohaus of McAllen highly recommended Indy.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Autohaus of McAllen highly recommended Indy.
YoungTurk,

You say Autohaus of McAllen "highly recommended Indy"? What do you mean by "Indy"? Sorry, just not catching what you are saying. Ah, perhaps you meant "indeed"....haha.

Dane

·
Registered
239 Posts
Although some people wouldn't do this, I did.... I bought my 2007 Cayman S sight unseen from across the country. I would suggest that if you deal with a good dealer and the car has one owner and/or good service records, a PPI with no issues, and a clean DME report, your risk is nearly zero. So I would say that it isn't necessary for you to go there, but I would echo the pricing sentiments here: I'd offer $30K max, sight unseen, and ask them to pay for shipping. They likely only gave $25K-$27K on a trade for that car.

Point of reference: I bought my 2007 Cayman S over 4 years ago for $36K, with an extra set of wheels, some track goodies and 33,000 miles. Of course, the track-ishness likely dropped the price as being tracked can scare some buyers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts