Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been checking on some wings for my 06 CS. My car is black, the windows, rear lights and side markers are tinted. The front runners (other than the Porsche fixed wing):

SpeedART

NR Automobile Accessories: Porsche Spoilers and Wings

NR Auto

The NR is fixed, the SA moves like the original. The SA is available in CF, not sure about the NR. The NR requires deactivating the stock wing while not offering a way to remove the stock setup (it makes the back end look a little strange to me without pulling and filling in the stock rear wing). The SA is expensive, the NR may be if it requires painting. I like the way the NR is a GT style without the 'box' at the bottom like the GT wing.

Just looking for some other thoughts and opinions.

·
Banned
3,496 Posts
Chris135

Chris, You do not have to deactivate you current rear wing with that gt-2 rear wing from NR auto ,If you want the bottom to looked filled in they offer a Techart style one like mine .

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,272 Posts
Re: Chris135

Both of them look VERY added on. Neither really flows with the car IMO.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Both of them look VERY added on. Neither really flows with the car IMO.
I was also considering the Porsche fixed option. I am just not in love with the stock one on the Cayman. The first one I had was the Motor-Lux unit, big quality issues though, thats not an option now.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Chris, You do not have to deactivate you current rear wing with that gt-2 rear wing from NR auto ,If you want the bottom to looked filled in they offer a Techart style one like mine .
Your car looks great. I want to change the look some, I am just not sure how much. The car has splitters on the front and the stock retractable wing on the back. I wasn't planning on changing the front, I am thinking that I shouldn't go too crazy on the back. There was another spoiler I have seen but I am not sure if it is good balance for the car either. http://www.nrauto.com/productimages/449.jpg

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts

Just a caution. Big rear wings that are not coordinated with changes to the front spoiler can lead to handling issues at track speeds. They also can add unneeded drag and decrease MPG and MPH if not properly designed as a coordinated front and rear package. My recommendation is to add those questions to your list to go along with appearance attributes as you suggest. And don't just believe what the sales people tell you without some proven data. Looks is only a part of the equation.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,272 Posts

gomarlins3
well I must agree ,these guys at ths little unknown ,unrespected Techart Company simply do not have a Clue when it comes to designing aftermarket parts for Porsches .
I will e-mail them and ask that they improve their desings :)

Sorry, I thought I was entitled to an opinion. I made no claims as to how well either of them worked, I simply stated that I didn't care for their looks.

I apologize, I will never state an opinion on this site again unless it is the same as yours.

·
Banned
3,496 Posts
gomarlins3

No offense ok,You are certanially entitled to you opinion . Thats what makes the world go round :)

·
Registered
88 Posts

Just a caution. Big rear wings that are not coordinated with changes to the front spoiler can lead to handling issues at track speeds. They also can add unneeded drag and decrease MPG and MPH if not properly designed as a coordinated front and rear package. My recommendation is to add those questions to your list to go along with appearance attributes as you suggest. And don't just believe what the sales people tell you without some proven data. Looks is only a part of the equation.
Just two simple words ...
Well said!

·
Registered
236 Posts

Sorry, I thought I was entitled to an opinion. I made no claims as to how well either of them worked, I simply stated that I didn't care for their looks.

I apologize, I will never state an opinion on this site again unless it is the same as yours.

Did a dummy just fly through cyberspace.:)

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
Chris135,

If you liked the style of the Motor-Lux spoiler and would like the quality to go along with it, I'd shoot Safetech Composites an email @ [email protected]. I hope to be posting a review of the spoiler with pics sometime today.

As for the three spoilers you posted, I like the SA the best. The brackets that hold the GT style wing for the NR seem too thick. I like the original GT style wing a lot more. The non-GT style spoiler by NR looks a little out of place IMO.

Good luck!
-Moto

·
Porsche Prophet
942 Posts
I had the same challenges with Motor Lux...no need to go any further...but it did lead me to Rich at Safetech...he is a great guy to deal with, very reliable, and makes a very good product (very involved with making CF parts for race cars)...I have installed his rear spoiler in CF...it is a size in between the stock unit and the Motor Lux...I also included a pic of the front spoiler that he makes...I saw this in person and it is very cool...one piece and installs in less than a half hour...I would definitely recommend him...

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rich at Safetech...he is a great guy to deal with, very reliable, and makes a very good product
I tried to look at this site in the past and again today. The Safetech site isn't working. I do like the look in your photos. It is unfortunate the Safetech appears to add to the car and look a bit more natural although I am not sure if the aerodynamics issues are addressed.

Thank you all for mentioning the balanced aerodynamics issue. I was aware of this and it is a concern. I have actually been told, at the track, to seek something a bit more aggressive due to the fact the car has the splitters on it. The splitters are the Posche aero kit. I don't know who installed only half of the kit but that is what I have atm.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Aero comment: It is more difficult to make consistent (i.e. non pitch or ride-height sensitive) downforce at the front than it is at the rear (with a wing). I wouldn't count on having much front downforce. (The oem aero kit 'splitters' don't look to me like they do much). Sante Fe's comments are spot-on. Downforce is also accompanied by drag. If you are concerned about function, I would steer towards a smallish rear wing or none at all.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 30 Posts