Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Called the local dealer today to arrange for an oil/filter change. The car has just under 2k miles (4 1/2 months old). Yes, I know I don't NEED to change oil yet. The first appointment I could get was for mid-July. Ooookay. It seems a bit long to wait for a simple service item, but I'm not in a big rush. So I say, I'd like to bring the car in first thing in the morning so that I can wait for the service to be completed. The service advisor said that I might not want to do that as the oil/filter service takes three (3) hours!! I says, that seems to be a long time for this type of service. SA replies, we have to wait for the engine to cool off. Does this sound reasonable?? Back in the day, I did most of the routine maintenance on my cars and an oil/filter change would take me about an hour with HOT engine (oil). I didn't pursue the matter any further as he said a loaner would be available for my use.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sounds entirely correct with my experience. I scheduled the first oil change a few months with less than 2,000 miles on my Cayman. Since is 30 miles away, I didn't want to make two round trips of 60 miles each. The service advisor was fine with me just waiting and enjoying some goodies while watching the work being performed. The dealer has a new state-of-the-art facility less than two years old. It took around three hours for the entire process to be completed. I was very happy to see that the work wasn't being hurried just to get me on my way.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Where in PA? Mid July for an oil change appointment? Sounds like a doctor's office. I called my dealer Monday for 20K service, new tires and alignment on my Cayenne and I got an appointment next Wednesday. Previous oil changes with tire rotations only took maybe two hours. Haven't had the Cayman in yet though.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Seems about right. At my dealer once they get the computer hooked up. They start the car and the computer tells the mechanic when the engine temp is reached to drain the oil. The draining takes one hour. New filter, refill, back to temp and final oil level check.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I like a long oil change after fully heating the engine. U'd be surprised how much extra dirty oil drips out of there if u give it enough time.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
Where in PA? Mid July for an oil change appointment? Sounds like a doctor's office. I called my dealer Monday for 20K service, new tires and alignment on my Cayenne and I got an appointment next Wednesday. Previous oil changes with tire rotations only took maybe two hours. Haven't had the Cayman in yet though.
I guess some dealerships are busier than others. My dealer called me and asked me to come in for a free checkup and carwash. I told them that they could skip the carwash but they can turn off the stupid "beep beep" that I hear when I lock the door.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Autohaus in Lancaster. I think they have only one or two Porsche tech's. I think their big sellers are Volkswagen and Audi.

·
Registered
368 Posts
3hours seems very long... I did my oil / filter change in our garage at home, from start to finish maybe 1.5 hours and that included to hook up my Durametric, read all codes (none), reset the service indicator and checking various things.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
i have done on the 981.. at least 25 to 30 oil changes.. in reality .. 15min to cool down the motor.. i let the sump drain till its drops not a steady stream takes about 20 min. and fill up another 15 min .. and another 10 min for fill up again..

Lemon

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i have done on the 981.. at least 25 to 30 oil changes.. in reality .. 15min to cool down the motor.. i let the sump drain till its drops not a steady stream takes about 20 min. and fill up another 15 min .. and another 10 min for fill up again..

Lemon
Thanks guys for all your input.

One to about 1 1/2 hour sounds about right to me.

The service advisor mentioned letting the engine cool down. Lemon, you also mention this. My experience has always told me to drain oil when engine/oil is hot as it flows better. What goes??

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
It's somewhat more time consuming than with most cars because of the need to underfill initially, then wait for the level sensor to return a valid reading, then add a bit more, lather, rinse, repeat.

You don't want to rush them, or they will just leave the oil underfilled.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Had my 10k oil change done recently. Took 2-2.5hrs and they started on my car right away, so 3 hrs sounds right.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I havre changed my 981 oil several times. On my ramps it takes at least 45 mins to stop draining. It still drips very slowly at 60 mins.
Right on. I was able to watch them empty the oil from my Cayman, it does indeed take awhile for most to all of the old oil to drip away.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
It's a horizontal engine and it takes tine for all the oil to drain out. It's not a temperature issue.
Sorry to disagree, but changing oil is temperature-related in two different ways.

1. The oil viscosity is lower at higher temperatures. Oil flows more like water at 200+F. More dirty oil (and hence more contaminants like acids, water and dirt) will drain out of that engine in a given amount of time, if done hot with that lower oil viscosity. That would be a good thing.

2. if u run the engine oil up to full operating temperature before draining, u will also get more dirt into suspension in the circulating oil. Many particulates in the oil will settle out by the time the oil has cooled. So u want to run it to full warm up to get as much as possible of those particulates back into suspension, before u drain. More particulates will exit the engine as the oil is drained. That is also a good thing.

So, this way, fully heating up the engine & oil, u end up with a less-contaminated engine and oil after the oil and filter change. It's cleaner to start with, after every oil change. That's a beautiful thing.

It's all good, when done hot, and slowly!! :)

·
Registered
747 Posts
I think the dealers are smoking crack! Ive changed the oil and filter on both my 14 and 15 CS. Its a 1-1.5 hr deal. 3hrs labor is nuts ! find a good Indy or DIY. I'm not adverse to paying for work but not into taking the pipe when i know it. Its what i call the santa barbara discount twice list +20%. Same deal for Porsche owners . Although i have to admit Ferrari was worse . $42 for a $6 spark plug.. carl

·
Registered
534 Posts
I had no idea how long it took to change the oil in this car. This makes me a lot more likely just to take it to the dealer than attempting it myself in my garage.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts