Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got an intermittent issue that I can't figure out in my 2006 Cayman S. Once in a while, the power would cut out while throttle is applied. In all situations, the clutch is fully engaged and there is no traction control light on the instrument cluster. When the issue exhibits itself, continuing to increase pressure on the gas pedal does nothing. But upon releasing the gas pedal and re-applying, the power comes back.

I've brought the car to my usual mechanic and explained the situation to him. He checked and there are no permanent fault codes. He said he might see something if the computer is plugged in and we can reproduce it, but the issue is so intermittent, I could not reproduce it readily. He can only guess that the issue is either the gas pedal itself or the throttle body.

Just wondering if anyone else experienced something matching the symptoms above. I'd rather just replace either the gas pedal or the throttle body, and not both, to fix this issue.

As background, my car is mostly a stock 2006 Cayman S with the only mods being aftermarket brake rotors, and the Wilhelmy-IT remote key module.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I was hoping somebody would reply because I've had the same thing happen and don't know why. In my case I have PDK and thought that might be doing something strange. Apparently not. I've also thought it was the stability control system but that didn't seem to be the case either.

This has only happened to me on the track and it has been sporadic. I've concluded if it was something I was doing it would happen much more often since, while not that fast, I am fairly consistent.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have had the same issue for the last couple of years exactly as described in the original post. My mechanic was also unable to resolve the issue. I only get his behavior in colder weather. Intermittent and was ready to sell the car at one point. Mine is a 2006 Cayman S and all stock with 75 k miles

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry to hear you're experiencing these problems; I had similar issues happening in my 07. I experienced it mostly when getting on freeways or giving it more than 75% throttle.. car would just stop accelerating until I let off the gas and tried again. In my case, replacement of the gas pedal corrected all issues.

Best wishes,

Frank

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Frank confirmed it - I was going to reply that this is most likely a fault in the accelerator pedal. There's a sensor in there that sends the pedal position data to the ECU. That sensor is probably faulty/dirty/stuck, and gets itself righted when you let up on the pedal and reapply.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is great news. I was hoping someone would pinpoint the cause. Frank or Greg, do you guys happen to know the part number for the gas pedal assembly? I'm probably going to do this repair on my own. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
According to my copy of the PET, the throttle assembly is one of two part numbers:
997.423.019.02 - 6 or 5 speed manual
997.423.021.02 - Tiptronic

You should of course verify this with your parts vendor.

The installation should be very easy, one screw plus the electrical connector. Good luck, and let us know if this solves your problem!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Frank & Greg thank you for the reply. I haven't had the issue for a several months. I will be watching this thread to see if if fixes the issue for eecsdude. I usually had the issue at lower throttle settings and it was pretty unnerving in traffic. I got used to "cycling" the throttle and it would allow me to drive off.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I installed the new pedal and have driven ~ 75miles since and the issue hasn't reproduced. Since this was intermittent to begin with, not sure when I'd be confident that this was the fix. Looks good so far though.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Bad news folks. After a little more than a week after installing the new pedal, the throttle cut out happened again. I guess the only thing left to try is to replace the electronic throttle.

I also wanted to note that I cheaped out and rather than buying a new pedal, I actually purchased a pedal off ebay that was pulled from a 2006 911 with < 15k miles. So there's a possibility I simply replaced a bad pedal with another bad pedal. But I figure the chances of that should be pretty low, unless this is a widespread issue...

·
Registered
17 Posts
eescdude very sorry to hear that you still have the issue. I know how frustrating it is with mine. After a summer of no issues at all my CS has been acting up again this week. It seems to only happen for me when the weather gets cooler like this week here in GA. I almost ordered a pedal this week myself but was waiting to see if you fixed your issue with a new pedal. I have the issue mostly in 1st gear right after I let out the clutch and start to accelerate. Once in a while in second gear. When it happens it is like the throttle slams shut. hopefully someone else has had this issue and can advise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
eescdude very sorry to hear that you still have the issue. I know how frustrating it is with mine. After a summer of no issues at all my CS has been acting up again this week. It seems to only happen for me when the weather gets cooler like this week here in GA. I almost ordered a pedal this week myself but was waiting to see if you fixed your issue with a new pedal. I have the issue mostly in 1st gear right after I let out the clutch and start to accelerate. Once in a while in second gear. When it happens it is like the throttle slams shut. hopefully someone else has had this issue and can advise.
I had this same intermittent issue with my throttle, but in first gear, and sometimes while cruising down the highway, or in any gear actually. I thought it might be a throttle position sensor and I planned to eventually swap it out. But, I was getting some white smoke from the exhaust on startup, so I swapped out the AOS and while I was in the engine area, I decided to clean out the throttle body and replace the air filter (all of these jobs are well documented on YouTube). I also saw a small disconnected tube (one of two small long sets of tubes below the plenum, which appear to be vacuum tubes ) and I can't be sure I accidentally unplugged it while making room to replace the AOS. The Throttle body was FILTHY and my gut instinct is to place the hesitation blame on that particular part.

Regardless, tubes all reconnected, AOS replaced, Air Filter replaced, TB thoroughly cleaned out and for the past two months, I've not seen the hesitation come back. Also, no more white smoke for me. The lack of throttle loss is just an added bonus.

I completed all of that work for less than $150 and I really got to know the lay of the land in the engine area.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Krooked. Thank you for the input. I have been considering going through the throttle body and intake and clean it all up. When I look back the issue started after I had replaced my AOS. It was done by my indep. mechanic and I haven't been in the engine compartment looking around in that area after he did his work. i have only had it open for a quick replacement of the air filter three months ago. My car is really acting up this week since we have had colder weather. It is as if the throttle slams shut right after the clutch is released and I hit the throttle, but not every time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
All,

For anyone interested I am happy to report my throttle cut-out issue has been resolved. I saw in another thread someone had a link to another forum which referenced the Brake Pedal switch as a cause. It was a cheap part to order so I figured why not try. My brake lights were still working by the way. Turns out when I took out the old switch it was a little shorter than the old one ( Sorry should have taken a picture ). It was a pain changing it out due to the tight conditions under the dash. However, my car runs so much better and I have not had one throttle cut since the change last month. My issue only happened in colder weather and it has been quite cold here the last month. If anyone has an explanation as to what other functions are tied to the brake pedal switch I would greatly appreciate an detailed explanation. I hope the OP is still following this thread and is able to give this a try. Thanks to everyone who has responded and offered advice.

·
Registered
250 Posts
this thread is very timely because I have also had this issue a few times, most recently just an hour ago. I was taking a ramp and on throttle as I was merging, I have a full aftermarket exhaust so its easier to tell with exhaust note, car acted like TC was cutting in, but there were no lights on dash. I didn't back down and the after a couple of hesitations, that felt exactly like TC, the car accelerated like normal.

Can others confirm if this issues is more prevalent when cornering or merging after cornering? I ask because in my case, its never happens when I am driving in a straight line for a while, almost always after a sharp turn, or during a turn (without TC lights)

·
Registered
923 Posts
All,

For anyone interested I am happy to report my throttle cut-out issue has been resolved. I saw in another thread someone had a link to another forum which referenced the Brake Pedal switch as a cause. It was a cheap part to order so I figured why not try. My brake lights were still working by the way. Turns out when I took out the old switch it was a little shorter than the old one ( Sorry should have taken a picture ). It was a pain changing it out due to the tight conditions under the dash. However, my car runs so much better and I have not had one throttle cut since the change last month. My issue only happened in colder weather and it has been quite cold here the last month. If anyone has an explanation as to what other functions are tied to the brake pedal switch I would greatly appreciate an detailed explanation. I hope the OP is still following this thread and is able to give this a try. Thanks to everyone who has responded and offered advice.
Rehashing an older thread.

FlyingFish, I seem to be getting the same random sporadic symptom. Has the problem resurfaced since your brake pedal switch?

Is this the switch you changed? Part number 99661311302.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got an intermittent issue that I can't figure out in my 2006 Cayman S. Once in a while, the power would cut out while throttle is applied. In all situations, the clutch is fully engaged and there is no traction control light on the instrument cluster. When the issue exhibits itself, continuing to increase pressure on the gas pedal does nothing. But upon releasing the gas pedal and re-applying, the power comes back.

I've brought the car to my usual mechanic and explained the situation to him. He checked and there are no permanent fault codes. He said he might see something if the computer is plugged in and we can reproduce it, but the issue is so intermittent, I could not reproduce it readily. He can only guess that the issue is either the gas pedal itself or the throttle body.

Just wondering if anyone else experienced something matching the symptoms above. I'd rather just replace either the gas pedal or the throttle body, and not both, to fix this issue.

As background, my car is mostly a stock 2006 Cayman S with the only mods being aftermarket brake rotors, and the Wilhelmy-IT remote key module.

Thanks everyone!
Did the air conditioning compressor cut off when the throttle fails?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there, greetings from the UK. I'm joining this string quite late on. I'm interested because I am experiencing exactly the same fault as described on my 2006 Boxster S, manual. An intermittent fault, press the accelerator (gas peddle to you guys I think) and the revs stay at idle, release and press again and everything's fine. Happens once or twice a day. I've cleaned the MAF, checked the throttle body.. all clean. I'm contemplating a throttle pedal, but would interested if there is any new developments from the guys in the string above.
I'm also not sure how the brake light switch can influence this, maybe someone can explain the link.
Thanks all

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had the same issue for the last couple of years exactly as described in the original post. My mechanic was also unable to resolve the issue. I only get his behavior in colder weather. Intermittent and was ready to sell the car at one point. Mine is a 2006 Cayman S and all stock with 75 k miles
Hi there, greetings from the UK. I'm joining this string quite late on. I'm interested because I am experiencing exactly the same fault as described on my 2006 Boxster S, manual. An intermittent fault, press the accelerator (gas peddle to you guys I think) and the revs stay at idle, release and press again and everything's fine. Happens once or twice a day. I've cleaned the MAF, checked the throttle body.. all clean. I'm contemplating a throttle pedal, but would interested if there is any new developments from the guys in the string above.
I'm also not sure how the brake light switch can influence this, maybe someone can explain the link.
Thanks all

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.