Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There!

New owner of a Yellow 987.1. Picked it up with 40,000KM on it, so she's still young!

I'm located in Hong Kong, would love to meet up if any P9 Members are from HK!

Anyways, onto a small issue that I have.

It's a TipTronic 987.1.

With the Sport Button off, when I cruise in "D" at a Steady Throttle, I notice and also hear that my RPMs will jump. My foot is not changing throttle, but it happens to jump about 100RPM, and then back down to where it was before. It doesn't happen every time, but it happens relatively often.

Now here's where it gets weird. In Manual Mode, and with the Sport Button on, it does not happen. Even in D I believe.

I've been reading that some people say it's the Torque Converter? I hope it's not, but, it also doesn't seem to be either. My shifts seem fine, a little harsher at the higher RPMs when I'm on it, but nothing too out of the ordinary for a typical TipTronic.

The car is going in for a full service (All Fluids, Plugs, Alignment, Throttle Body Cleaning, etc.) this upcoming week, so hopefully that fixes the issue, but can anybody shed some light?

My Shop thinks that it might be the Throttle Body needing cleaning? It's just really weird that it happens only in D with Sport Mode Off, but it seems to be fine with Sport Mode on :crazy:

Thanks in Advance!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Phil,

You are one of the few in HK! I'll PM you with my phone number. We have a small group that goes for drives every now and then.

Not sure what happened to your car. Worth a shot to clean the throttle body anyway. Which shop are you going to have your car serviced if you don't mind? There are plenty of shops in HK, but then I realized a lot of them aren'y exactly truth worthy. Welcome to Planet-9 nonetheless!

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Hi There!

New owner of a Yellow 987.1. Picked it up with 40,000KM on it, so she's still young!

I'm located in Hong Kong, would love to meet up if any P9 Members are from HK!

Anyways, onto a small issue that I have.

It's a TipTronic 987.1.

With the Sport Button off, when I cruise in "D" at a Steady Throttle, I notice and also hear that my RPMs will jump. My foot is not changing throttle, but it happens to jump about 100RPM, and then back down to where it was before. It doesn't happen every time, but it happens relatively often.

Now here's where it gets weird. In Manual Mode, and with the Sport Button on, it does not happen. Even in D I believe.

I've been reading that some people say it's the Torque Converter? I hope it's not, but, it also doesn't seem to be either. My shifts seem fine, a little harsher at the higher RPMs when I'm on it, but nothing too out of the ordinary for a typical TipTronic.

The car is going in for a full service (All Fluids, Plugs, Alignment, Throttle Body Cleaning, etc.) this upcoming week, so hopefully that fixes the issue, but can anybody shed some light?

My Shop thinks that it might be the Throttle Body needing cleaning? It's just really weird that it happens only in D with Sport Mode Off, but it seems to be fine with Sport Mode on :crazy:

Thanks in Advance!
It's very hard to say: it could be a dirty MAF (mass airflow sensor), it could be spark plugs, coils etc etc. It could be the A/C as well, or anything else putting a load on the engine. I hope the service will fix it for you, the only "downside" when replacing many parts is that you will never find the culprit or exact reason if it goes away.

Another thing to do is to hook up an OBD2 reader and do some logging of fuel trims/ignition etc.

I could be wrong, but with only 40 000km I find it hard to believe that the transmission should be the reason for your cars behaviour. Changing the oil in the box is a good idea though. Good luck, post back after the service and don't forget to add a pic or two of that lovely car! :cheers:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's very hard to say: it could be a dirty MAF (mass airflow sensor), it could be spark plugs, coils etc etc. It could be the A/C as well, or anything else putting a load on the engine. I hope the service will fix it for you, the only "downside" when replacing many parts is that you will never find the culprit or exact reason if it goes away.

Another thing to do is to hook up an OBD2 reader and do some logging of fuel trims/ignition etc.

I could be wrong, but with only 40 000km I find it hard to believe that the transmission should be the reason for your cars behaviour. Changing the oil in the box is a good idea though. Good luck, post back after the service and don't forget to add a pic or two of that lovely car! :cheers:
I hope so too! I'll add some pics, I actually haven't taken any since I've gotten it! Should get on that when I get some time, lol.

I'm going to be doing a new MAF too, along with Coil Packs, so hopefully it fixes the problem!

My shop said he'll hook up a scanner to see if there's any problems with it, hopefully it's nothing big, and just needs a tuneup. Nothing feels wrong with the car, more of a minor annoynace I would say. I can just pop it into Manual/Sport, and it goes away truthfully.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts