Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have one question, there is a very slight, what I can only describe as a ticking type noise coming from the engine somewhere, I am not a technical guy so this is the best I can do with a description! Did have a little look at old threads and it appears 'normal', I do have a video that I can post.

Can be heard on idle, can't hear it at higher revs.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I very much doubt its anything to worry about. These engines make all sorts of strange sounds - its part of their character :)

Its obviously under warranty, so if you are concerned drop it into the dealer for them to have a listen.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
As you mentioned, its normal. See old threads.

If you are worried, take it to the dealer and listen to a brand new car. Does the same thing.

Has to do with compression (similar to diesel engines).

The new corvette sounds and feels horrible at idle... rough like a semi.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
The ticking is likely the high pressure injectors. The DFI engines inject high pressure fuel directly into the cylinders. Different that the non-DFI which injects behind the valves. It sounds a little like a diesel as they also use high pressure injectors. It also sounds a little like the old lifter rattle on a cold engine. Bottom line is that it is completely normal and part of the new engine design.

·
Vendor
6,506 Posts
In addition to all kind of strange noises, it can be:

A leaf in the side intake fan. In this case it'll dissapear after a while
Exhaust canisters can make very loud tickiling noises after a ride

In any case - nothing to worry about, unless it's too loud and constantly bothering you.

·
Registered
747 Posts
My 14 clicked pretty loud at idle. I had the tech listen and he said it was part of the emission system. I cant remember what the valve was called . What it does is take the gas fumes from the canister and suck them back to the intake to burn them. The clicking noise is the solenoid valve opening and closing. He said they all make noise but some are louder than others. My 15 CS isn't anywhere as loud.Its just the luck of the draw. carl

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies guys, glad to hear it seems 'normal', what a charismatic engine it is mind you! Had the V8 E92 M3 prior to this and I thought that would be hard to match, but this engine has a whole different personality!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Mine is pretty quiet on idle. On more than one occasion, a leaf has been stuck in the fan and made a loud, rapid ticking noise. If it's enough to cause you to post about it, I'd bet it's not normal.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
The thing about a mid-engine car is you hear just about everything that goes on in the engine compartment. The ticking noise will come and go as it pleases, in my experience. The engine sound will also "evolve" a bit during break-in, and you may notice a bit less vibration over time.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Like gla said it is most likely the injector pump...they tick when operating under pressure. Listen to one on an Audi that sits on top of the fender well...tick , tick, tick..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Trying not to be paranoid, but my 15 CGTS starting ticking a few days ago. I've read through the old threads and it seems like i shouldn't worry, but dang it's annoying. I also ran it by my dealer and they said that's it's normal and not to worry about it. Just hate to have it happen at 1,200 miles. The dealer said to rev to 5,000 rpms for 5 seconds to clear air bubbles that may be trapped? Well I tried that and nothing changed. Anyone have new information regarding this?

·
Registered
734 Posts
My CS had a tick at about the 7,000 mile mark. It only lasted for two days, then went away after I filled the tank with new gas.

I only buy top tier, high(est) octane gas. That tankful was probably a bad batch.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I find that the ticking noise gets quieter or goes away entirely for a while after a good Italian tuneup. It's the car reminding you that life is short, play hard.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ok, so the ticking became louder over the past few days. I took it back in to my dealer and they agree it's not right. I'll know more this afternoon but as of now either 1. Change out all the lifters or 2. The Service Manager says Porsche may change out the engine. I'm glad my dealer agreed that it's an issue and not just normal flat 6 noises. Car has 1,500 miles now, other than the lifter noise I love everything about this car, it's an amazing machine.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Any update on the engine ticking noise? What did the dealer find out?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts