Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been a lurker here at P9 for a while. Like many I have recently been watching the launch and rollout of the new 981 Boxsters and have been considering an upgrade. I am on my second Boxster S with my first being a MY2000S.

After reviewing different configurations and being somewhat shocked by the price of a new 981S, my build ends up around $80-85k. ...and then taking one for a drive last week... Yes... it is a nice car... I like the new body, not sure about the interior... and a little dissappointed with the power.... I have been kicking around the idea of a LP TPC Turbo instead.

I have really enjoyed reading all of the posts about others getting a TPC upgrade and thought I would pose a few questions to everyone to help with my thought process.

a) I would like to hear from anyone who has a later Boxster S that has upgraded to a TPC Turbo. I would ideally like to hear from someone with an 08 that has done the upgrade.

b) I don't track my car. I have dreamed about doing so...but both time and time... :) have conspired against me and so I have not done any track time with my cars. So this upgrade is really for the dreamer in me having the proper power.....in case I do in the future.

c) I have been considering an exhaust upgrade...but if I go to a TPC Turbo... that would be a wasted purchase... Should I do the exhaust and forgoe the Turbo for the time being?????

d) I would love to experience a TPC Turbo'd car for myself. I am looking for anyone in the Northern Illinois and Southern Wisconsin area who may be willing to take me for a TPC Joy Ride.

e) Accumoto is probably my choice for doing the install. I have heard they do outstanding work. Any insights people can give me on them would be appreciated.

I am not sure when I am going to pull the trigger. I am thinking of this fall. Accumoto had a program last year I think where cars getting Turbos over the winter would be stored up there until spring. I am not sure I can stand to be away from my mistress that long. In fact, I may need to get a hotel room down the street from their shop so that I can go and visit as she is having her surgery.

Thanks in advance for those who can provide some insights and thoughts on this. I am thinking that a 2008 Boxster Turbo S is something that will provide the never ending permagrin for many years into the future....and a bit more economical than a new 981S....

Thoughts?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I am interested in the very same question: Normally Aspirated or Turbo?

Normally Aspirated Upgrades: $6500 + Install for 50HP
Catless Headers: $2000
Cat Back Exhaust:: $1600
Plenum/TB: $1200
ECU Upgrade: $1000
Cold Air Intake: $695

Turbo: $10K + Install for 150HP
Includes: Turbo, Intercooler, ECU upgrade, Intake, Exhaust

Did I get this right? What about durability of components and reliability of engine?

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
My opinion: TPC is not a do it yourself kit. Someone like Accumoto is a must. Acccumoto is a very good installer.

I have done a lot of those NA upgrades. Normally aspirated upgrades are very good just very expensive for the hps gainned. If you can get the parts used, and install them yourself or cheaply, I would say go ahead!

Otherwise save your pennies and go with TPC. If you do any type of track work, or live in a warmer part of the country do yourself a favor go with the intercooler.

I am having a TPC installed. I heard it for the first time today. There is still a lot of work to finish it the way I want it finished. Including some additional gauges. Just listening to it promisses a lot of good times. I know someone with a 3.4 that had a TPC intercooled installed. He went through a lot of problems and heartache to get it to work right. He is now very happy, but it goes to proove the installer will make a difference.

I have also driven a 2.7 TPC Cayman turbo and it pulls harder than any 3.4 tweeked NA Cayman I have ever seen. It became a new car. That is what I expect to get with a "new 3.4 TPC Turbo" The waiting is killing me!

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,643 Posts
I am interested in the very same question: Normally Aspirated or Turbo?

Normally Aspirated Upgrades: $6500 + Install for 50HP
Catless Headers: $2000
Cat Back Exhaust:: $1600
Plenum/TB: $1200
ECU Upgrade: $1000
Cold Air Intake: $695

Turbo: $10K + Install for 150HP
Includes: Turbo, Intercooler, ECU upgrade, Intake, Exhaust

Did I get this right? What about durability of components and reliability of engine?
Having done it both ways I think you are optomistic on you HP increases:
real world NA I'd say 40hp and very little gain (10hp) in the midrange so you really need to buzz the engine to feel it. Lot's of time at redline = lot's more wear & tear.

Let's call the turbo a conservative 100hp increase but you don't have to buzz the engine because you will gain 50 lb/ft of torque in the midrange where you do the majority of driving. You do have more combustion pressure and heat, but rev's cause a lot more stress.

Just my two cents:beer:

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I'd love to see a comparison graph...to try and pin down how a turbo makes a difference on the street?

I'm not sure what range would be most useful for comparison purposes?
- 0-60mph before turbo and after turbo
- 30-80mph before and after
- 60-100mph ?

I've seen plenty of data about HP and Quarter mile times... but I'd love to see something more applicable to my daily drive ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It would be great if the guys at TPC and Accumoto would chime in here too....

Someone sent me a PM about what I thought of the handling of the new 981. I drove an S version, of course, and thought the car drove nice. It was a pdk... and with the sport plus on it was a quick little car. But... there seemed something missing. I read a post a while back where there seems to be a disconnection from the road...whether it is the new steering... the car I drove had 20" wheels... I can't put my finger on it. It was a total of 6-8 miles that I drove it. What I like about my MY08S....is that it is like a go cart. You put the nose somewhere... it goes. You feel the handling in the seat of your pants...in your hands as you toss the car around. I am not sure I got that with the new 981.

So... I guess I am inclined to spend some money on upgrades and for me NA upgrades are all fine...but the end result is you are left still wanting. I think a turbo from TPC is the way I am going to go. I wish there was someone within driving distance that has the upgrade that would take me for a spin. I would also love to hear from some Boxster owners as well.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Being that you are located close to Accumoto, I would suggest going there. They are a fantastic dealer and do great work. Mark and Doug do a very nice job and have always turned around cars that run flawlessly.

If you are looking for strong performance numbers and also having a car that is fun to drive, the turbo is the way to go.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I ordered the turbo package last week and will be having Accumoto install it when it arrives. Can't wait!!!! :banana:

Drove up to Accumoto to meet with Mark and Doug before ordering. Both were exceptionally helpful and knowledgable. Will post a full review when I get my car back.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ordered the turbo package last week and will be having Accumoto install it when it arrives. Can't wait!!!! :banana:

Drove up to Accumoto to meet with Mark and Doug before ordering. Both were exceptionally helpful and knowledgable. Will post a full review when I get my car back.

Sounds like I need to take a road trip to see Accumoto. Perhaps when your car is finished I can buy you lunch and get a ride. Where are you located? You can PM me directly.

I am looking forward to hearing how your upgrade goes!!!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
No problem. Just sent you a PM. I'm still waiting for the kit to arrive at Accumoto, but hopefully it will be installed around Labor day or shortly after!:cheers:

Sounds like I need to take a road trip to see Accumoto. Perhaps when your car is finished I can buy you lunch and get a ride. Where are you located? You can PM me directly.

I am looking forward to hearing how your upgrade goes!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
This Planet has gone bananas... what's wrong with you people? Everybody wants to become a villain!

Why can't you settle for the humble nimble stock 987?!!!

Maybe we should one day drop our turbo charged Caymans & Boxsters at Porsche factory in Germany... Hopefully that would deliver a loud message to them :eek:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Simple solution..... Porsche needs to give the proper power to our cars... Period! Instead.... they play the tiering game with the 911.

On the flip side... imagine how much more we would need to pay to get that power...... The way I see it at this point. When I make the jump and get a TPC Turbo installed into my mistress... She will be hotter than the latest model....for a lot less money... :cheers:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yep. Thanks, Casey. Appreciate your help in the process. I just dropped Mark a note yesterday to see whether he can get me a good hookup on a set of TPC sways/droplinks. Don't really have the money, but would be great to have it all done while its there next month!

Good to hear!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hassaan,

I know your story has been long and Challenging with a hopefully positive conclusion, but in the end, it was just to hard to pass up the power. I also have a lot of confidence in Accumoto as an installer. I appreciate all of your help and feedback along the way! Rest assured knowing that I'm not going 3.7 stage II so your Mistress will still hold the crown!..... for now :)

This Planet has gone bananas... what's wrong with you people? Everybody wants to become a villain!

Maybe we should one day drop our turbo charged Caymans & Boxsters at Porsche factory in Germany... Hopefully that would deliver a loud message to them :eek:

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Hassaan,

I know your story has been long and Challenging with a hopefully positive conclusion, but in the end, it was just to hard to pass up the power. I also have a lot of confidence in Accumoto as an installer. I appreciate all of your help and feedback along the way! Rest assured knowing that I'm not going 3.7 stage II so your Mistress will still hold the crown!..... for now :)
Trust it warms (or maybe worms LOL) my heart every time I hear a happy ending... I wish nobody to go through the agony I went through. Your choice to go with Accumoto is the best for your car and peace of mind.

The fact that you're not going with 3.7L pleases me for it means -mashallah- your engine is intact not like some of us. But what pisses me off is that there's a member among us enlarging his to 4.2L :( Now, did you get why I pray for the reliability of Porsche engines? ;)

Best of luck to all of you guys...

·
Registered
120 Posts

Let's face it.. It's a dog eat dog world.. Or fish eat fish.. And nice guys finish last..
And yes ..Darth Vader is one of my idols!

And I ask... What has your Turbo done for you today!:hilarious:

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'd love to see a comparison graph...to try and pin down how a turbo makes a difference on the street?

I'm not sure what range would be most useful for comparison purposes?
- 0-60mph before turbo and after turbo
- 30-80mph before and after
- 60-100mph ?

I've seen plenty of data about HP and Quarter mile times... but I'd love to see something more applicable to my daily drive ;)
The only thing a turbo is going to be applicable to your daily driving is getting you arrested and your insurance rates going sky high !:hilarious:
Can't wait...

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
The only thing a turbo is going to be applicable to your daily driving is getting you arrested and your insurance rates going sky high !:hilarious:
Can't wait...
Thanks!

I just have this one tight right-hand turn on the way home that turns into a steep hill... and I haven't figured out how to carry enough speed to keep her in the right RPM range to power up the hill.

Other than this one spot were my car seems underpowered... I'm having no problem getting into plenty of trouble with my great little 2.9 engine ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts