Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When doing an oil change on my wife's '07 Cayman S yesterday, I noticed what looked to be evidence of a coolant leak (pic 1). The car has 48,269 miles on it and we have owned it for about a year. I last checked the coolant level about 6 months ago and topped it off at that point. I have not noticed any coolant on the garage floor but yesterday had to add about 16 oz to bring it up to the Min mark. Today, I removed the front cover and saw evidence of dried coolant around the water pump pulley (pics 2 & 3). Other than the dried coolant, I have not heard anything to indicate the pump is bad. I did however remove the serpentine belt and though there was no bearing noise when spinning it, there was a little lateral play in it. The water pump was last replaced in January of 2012 when the car had 37,196 miles on it. Now for the questions:

1. Does this sound like the pump needs replacing or could it be coming from a hose clamp below the pump?
  2. If it is the pump does it need to be done now (or does it still have some life left in it) I have a number of other projects that are requiring time and money right now?
  3. If so, what brand (with a composite blade) is the best bang for the buck and who has the best price on it?
  4. The thermostat was replaced the last time the pump was replaced. Should I replace it again?
  5. How much coolant will I need to complete the job?
  6. Besides pump coolant and gaskets, anything else I need?

IMG_1433.jpg

Pic. 1

IMG_1434.jpg

Pic. 2

IMG_1435.jpg

Pic. 3

Sorry for all the questions but thanks in advance for your help.

Todd

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
It sure does look like it is time for a new water pump. You car is now 8+ years old and the general consensus is to change the pump at 6 years. Have you checked the coolant level?

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
I changed my water pump as preventative at 43K miles, or about 6+ years. It was OK, but I bought myself peace of mind. Also, the serpentine belt is also a ware item and at 6 + years, I thought it was a bonus to change it out also (both are part of the same process).

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree, I know these water pumps are apparently "maintenance" replacement items... But I'm still surprised as this one is only three years old with 11,000 miles on it, none of them track miles. Also, I changed the belt 8 months ago.

Todd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'd say it's definitely going bad. Unfortunate to have another one go bad so soon.

I changed mine last summer. Bought an OEM one from either Suncoast or Pelican, can't remember. Bought a gallon of the pink coolant to replace what was lost when I changed it (and what was lost when it finally let go while driving it). You're not going to lose a whole bunch of coolant if you're quick at getting the hose off and putting a kink in it. There are braces near the water pump that will hold the hose in a kinked position.

With my experience of it catastrophically failing while I was driving it I would change it as soon as possible if I was you.

I wouldn't bother changing the thermostat.

Did you change the pump yourself? If not, it's not that hard to do with the back of the car on jack stands. There are some excellent how-to guides either on here or over at Pelican Parts. If you're able to do it yourself it'll only cost you around $350 for the pump and coolant.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Reading yourinitial post and follow up post pointing out the previous replacement is interesting. I'm wondering if the gasket was replaced with the pump. Having not performed this job I don't know what kind of gasket is used, but I would thnk the only way to figure this out is to replace the pump and gasket. 11k miles is just too short of a life span for the pump.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for your comments. I didn't replace the pump last time but do know the mechanic who did. He is a former Porsche factory race mechanic that I'm confident did the job properly. The PO's invoice indicates that he did replace the gasket as well. I'll be doing the job myself this time and have ordered a Porsche OEM pump and gasket from Suncoast. Based on the spray pattern of the coolant and the play in the pulley, I believe that the pump is leaking from around the bearing. As it's been over 3 years since the coolant has been changed, I'm going to use a coolant vacuum tool to remove all the old coolant and replace it with new. I'm not going to mess with the thermostat. Hopefully, this pump will last longer.

Todd

1 - 8 of 8 Posts