Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!

Time to buy a 981 GT4?

• Heck yea, I think prices will go up.

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Heck yea, but wait until the GT4 RS as prices will drop.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Sit tight and buy when you’re ready, I dont think prices will be impacated

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Heck no, wait for the GT4 RS and pay the premium.

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Heck no, get another GTS with the 4-turbo for a DD

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Yes, see my comment

• No, see my comment

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I buy a GT4 for my next daily driver.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
No, see my comment.

I can't speak to the U.S. market, but in Canada a HIGH percentage of the GT4s originally sold are up for resale. Of the total 37 sold, around 19 days ago 22 were available on Porsche Canada used car search, and another 6 were on Autotrader. Prices have a dropped a bit since summer, but I expect them to drop further over the winter. Here at least, the GT4 sellers market is finished...

·
Registered
897 Posts
No - I’d hold out a bit.

Here’s my reasons why I’m personally waiting to buy a GT4.

I have a 2016 GTS that’s a really, really great street car IMO. I’ve have 10k miles on my car in about 13 months and it’s been nothing but fun ( I only use my GTS for spirited pleasure drives ). The only reason I’m looking for a GT4 is to satisfy my curiosity and my ego.

From what I see a good percentage of the GT4’ s have been sitting unsold because they’re still priced to high over MSRP for my tastes - there’s consistently 35 to 40 listed on the Porsche pre Owned Car Locator at any given time so there’s a decent supply, but again they don’t seem to be moving so I feel prices will have to drop.

There’s more than several privately listed on other sites and those sellers seem to be lowering their prices as their cars have been sitting.

Winter is coming in most parts of the country and historically sports car prices tend to drop.

If and when the next GT4 is officially announced I feel more current GT4 owners are going to want to upgrade and obviously there will be more of the 981 GT4’ s for sale.

Personally, I’m looking to buy a CPO car because of the potential to lose 3rd gear so I will naturally have to pay a high price but I’m willing to do so for piece of mind.

Here’s one that I’m considering- super low miles, full clear bra, nicely optioned IMO - just not sure if I could be low key in a Racing Yellow GT4.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle...t4-only-530-miles-lwb-and-full-clear-bra.html

Anyway good luck in your search.

Reactions: mithiral67

·
Registered
404 Posts
Can't see any reason to buy a GT4 as a DD. For one, the wing (on any car) is a bit much for in-town driving, at least for conservative people like me. A 718S, specced exactly as you wish, will give you near-GT4 performance and more comfort, for less money.

·
Registered
832 Posts
IMO a GT4 is not a DD. It is designed as a track car and should be used as a track car. You will never be able to exploit it's potential or your driving skills on the street. So why bother to spend the money? An S or GTS will do everything legal or illegal on the street that you might want to try. lol

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Do you think it is really different enough to your 981 GTS? It has a 991.1 Carrera S motor, detuned a bit. Same red line as your GTS, same 6 speed MT. It's not a GT motor with blistering hight RPM. And are you going to want to DD with a large fixed wing?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No - I’d hold out a bit.
Thanks. Yea i would definitely go CPO. Asking cause my local dealership just took in one in great condition and with a lot of options i want.

Good points, wasnt thinking about the winter part. A lot more barging room in the winter if they took them in in the fall time frame. I am seeing 72 on cars.com right now, that seems like a lot, 3 times the number of GTS.

Can't see any reason to buy a GT4 as a DD. For one, the wing (on any car) is a bit much for in-town driving, at least for conservative people like me. A 718S, specced exactly as you wish, will give you near-GT4 performance and more comfort, for less money.
The ride quality and the fin are the only real differences between my car and the GT4, no? I am fine with the ride, tested out the firm setting on my car for a few weeks and the wing looks good!!!! Yea, if the 718 was NA, i would likely have already ordered another GTS :(

You will never be able to exploit it's potential or your driving skills on the street. So why bother to spend the money? An S or GTS will do everything legal or illegal on the street that you might want to try. lol
Lol, completely true. But I want to buy one of the last NA manual porsches and keep for a long time, and i love the gt4

Thanks all for the votes and the replies.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you think it is really different enough to your 981 GTS? It has a 991.1 Carrera S motor, detuned a bit. Same red line as your GTS, same 6 speed MT. It's not a GT motor with blistering hight RPM. And are you going to want to DD with a large fixed wing?
I bought my first automatic with the gts so I can share track days with my dad (his knees cant do a manual anymore) and its a blast to drive, but I need to get back into a manual. I bought my gts 2 weeks before they announced the gt4 pricing, I wish i had held off and just bought the gt4 (Sorry dad), but oh well.

Reactions: BlueNorther

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I bought my first automatic with the gts so I can share track days with my dad (his knees cant do a manual anymore) and its a blast to drive, but I need to get back into a manual. I bought my gts 2 weeks before they announced the gt4 pricing, I wish i had held off and just bought the gt4 (Sorry dad), but oh well.
Well, I totally get that. OTOH you've had a good ride with the GTS and unless you where already on the waitlist/had connections, who's to say you would have gotten a GT4 allocation?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I totally get that. OTOH you've had a good ride with the GTS and unless you where already on the waitlist/had connections, who's to say you would have gotten a GT4 allocation?
Oh, i wouldnt have gotten it new, likely a high prices used one.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
Among the differences between a GTS and a GT4 are the front and rear suspension, brakes, steering and PASM maps, shifter, chassis, stying and, of course, the engine. In short, most every aspect of handling and performance is different. They provide different driving experiences.

That said, IMO the GTS is a better street only DD. The GT4 is hands down the better track car.

My GT4 is a DD street/track car and has been an absolute joy during the 2+ years I’ve owned it - both on the street and on the track. I’ve got dedicated winter and track wheel/tire sets. I have an ear to ear smile every time I drive it and I still frequently stare at it parked in the garage. For those reasons and more it’ll remain in demand and experience lower depreciation. I’m pretty sure that if I were to sell it I would recoup a higher percentage (~90%) of my MSRP purchase price after these 2+ years than had I bought any new 2016 regular production P car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
349 Posts
I would, although I don't daily mine because it wouldn't reflect in a positive light because of my age, I think its extremely comfortable to drive. Its even more comfortable than my 987 S. Its a great car, and you can't beat the flat 6. Plus, your money is much safer as opposed to any other cayman variant out at the moment.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I owned both 981GTS and GT4. Like the GT4, the GTS was also a manual. I've had both at the track, and both are/were daily drivers. I don't buy cars as investments, I buy them to drive them and have fun. I've now got 10k miles on the GT4, and had about the same amount on the GTS when I traded it. While the GTS was fun at the track as well, the GT4 is superior. Objectively, it's faster, it corners better, and PCCB stopping power is breathtaking. Subjectively, the 3.8l engine note is awesome - that reason alone might be enough for someone to prefer the GT4 over a 781CS (as someone previously commented) which has close performance but not close to the same soundtrack. As far as the street goes, the GT4's relative advantages are still present but less noticeable. Both cars will easily get you to criminal speeds very quickly. I don't detect much difference in ride quality, both cars are firm but not harsh. I happen to like the look of the fixed wing - I think it's responsible for more waves and thumbs up from passers-by, because it makes it instantly recognizable as a limited edition Porsche. Where the GT4 has a disadvantage to the GTS for daily use IMO has to do with the seats. I'm 52, and in decent shape, and while the LWB in the GT4 are gorgeous carbon fiber sculptures and hold you like velcro at the track, they do make getting in and out a little more difficult with the low seat height and high sills. If I used it for more than just a twice a day drive to and from work, they might get annoying after a while. Once you are in them, I find them quite comfortable. If your GT4 purchase is more for active daily use and not the circuit, I might consider finding one with the 18-way seats instead.

my 2cents.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I owned both 981GTS and GT4. Like the GT4, the GTS was also a manual. I've had both at the track, and both are/were daily drivers. I don't buy cars as investments, I buy them to drive them and have fun. I've now got 10k miles on the GT4, and had about the same amount on the GTS when I traded it. While the GTS was fun at the track as well, the GT4 is superior. Objectively, it's faster, it corners better, and PCCB stopping power is breathtaking. Subjectively, the 3.8l engine note is awesome - that reason alone might be enough for someone to prefer the GT4 over a 781CS (as someone previously commented) which has close performance but not close to the same soundtrack. As far as the street goes, the GT4's relative advantages are still present but less noticeable. Both cars will easily get you to criminal speeds very quickly. I don't detect much difference in ride quality, both cars are firm but not harsh. I happen to like the look of the fixed wing - I think it's responsible for more waves and thumbs up from passers-by, because it makes it instantly recognizable as a limited edition Porsche. Where the GT4 has a disadvantage to the GTS for daily use IMO has to do with the seats. I'm 52, and in decent shape, and while the LWB in the GT4 are gorgeous carbon fiber sculptures and hold you like velcro at the track, they do make getting in and out a little more difficult with the low seat height and high sills. If I used it for more than just a twice a day drive to and from work, they might get annoying after a while. Once you are in them, I find them quite comfortable. If your GT4 purchase is more for active daily use and not the circuit, I might consider finding one with the 18-way seats instead.

my 2cents.
Is the 3.8much more noticeable?

I love the look of the CF seats, however, I only sat in the once. Yes, they are noticeable harder to get in and out of. At 38, I can get in and out of my gts without using my arms at all. I have a feeling that would be impossible with those seats. It’s a noticeable movement over them and into them. CF seats were a must originally but they are definitely in "if it has every other box ticketed, i will buy regardless of the seats" bucket.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's just a deeper, richer sound from inside the car, and at higher RPM it just goes to a whole new level. As far as sound is from the outside, I can share an anecdote. I live on a large piece of property. A friend was recently waiting for me to get home, standing outside at the top of my driveway as I accelerated to 60+ mph approaching the house. When I got out of the car, his comment to me was, "That's the best sounding car I've ever heard." (btw, my exhaust button is always pressed, I have that little module someone sells that makes car remember your Sport and Exhaust settings even after you turn the car off).

I put my left hand on the door sill to lift myself up before I try to swing my legs out, otherwise I look geriatric trying to exit the car.

Reactions: mithiral67

·
Registered
569 Posts
Should I buy a GT4 for my next daily driver.
Depends on where you drive daily. GT4 is lower than GTS, so be prepared for lots of scrapes in most cases. Also, and this will depend to some extent on your height, as a short guy I sometimes have trouble gauging where the curbs are and I have the curb rash to prove it. My GT4 is an incredible track car, and I will never part with it voluntarily, but I find myself driving it less and less around town. None of my conditions may apply with you, but just sharing my $.02.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
569 Posts

I love the look of the CF seats, however, I only sat in the once. Yes, they are noticeable harder to get in and out of. At 38, I can get in and out of my gts without using my arms at all. I have a feeling that would be impossible with those seats. It’s a noticeable movement over them and into them. CF seats were a must originally but they are definitely in "if it has every other box ticketed, i will buy regardless of the seats" bucket.
Having owned a GTS as well, I can assure you that, on the track especially, the 3.8 difference is quite noticeable.

·
Registered
569 Posts
It's just a deeper, richer sound from inside the car, and at higher RPM it just goes to a whole new level. As far as sound is from the outside, I can share an anecdote. I live on a large piece of property. A friend was recently waiting for me to get home, standing outside at the top of my driveway as I accelerated to 60+ mph approaching the house. When I got out of the car, his comment to me was, "That's the best sounding car I've ever heard." (btw, my exhaust button is always pressed, I have that little module someone sells that makes car remember your Sport and Exhaust settings even after you turn the car off).

I put my left hand on the door sill to lift myself up before I try to swing my legs out, otherwise I look geriatric trying to exit the car.
Just curious if you noticed a change, but when I topped 5k miles, I swear the exhaust got much throatier.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.