Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I appreciate the thoughts, gents. Yeah the 3.8L was just a fun idea, but in reality if I were going to spend that much, I might as well just upgrade.

Seems like smart money is still on "drive it 'till it dies", and I'm fine with that. The car still looks almost brand-new both inside and out because of the care it's received....and the recent accident I had that caused the front bumper to be repainted (and subsequent blending on the other panels and the reapplication of clear bra as a result). As long as the engine and drivetrain hold out, I'm good to go. Just gotta take care of some minor maintenance items.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Keep it and begin "mentally" saving the money for a new car when it's time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
About the prices...80 k for a new boxster is cheap in my point of view. Here you'll have to pay easily around 120-130 000 euros. 2005-2007 987s are about 20 000 - 35 000 euros and even more

·
Registered
26 Posts
OP gives no real reason for selling other than it's got high miles and he's realized that affects resale.
Well, that ship has sailed, so you might as well keep enjoying it.
If you want to "save money" b/c your car has lots of miles, why would you buy another that will only tank in value?
Let's say you got $10k for it, what then? Buy a $30k car? Seems like the best $ move is to not do the depreciation dance all over again.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I didn't create this thread to be judged for my decisions, but I can elaborate. I hope you can see that I'm not talking about buying a brand new one. So yeah, not trying to do the "depreciation dance". The next one I buy would be used, and it wouldn't be a daily driver so I'd not be worried about that.

I'm really not concerned about the actual price I'd get for my car. Clearly I didn't buy it with concern for depreciation and keeping its residual value high, else I wouldn't have driven it daily for ten years. I got a lot out of this car and it has been great to me.

Many people in here have given me confidence that the car has plenty of life left in it, so at this point I plan to ride it out and enjoy it. I do love the car still, just was worried about blowing up the engine and thinking maybe it was time to move on to a newer one. If a good opportunity arises to get a 981, I'll consider it but at this point I'm not going to hunt for one.

Thanks for all the input, folks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Keep it!

Get some new shocks, new bushings, and a compression test done.

Then, take it to a track day. Drive it like it was meant to be driven and you'll get a whole new appreciation for the car.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've got an '05 with similar mileage. I bought it almost 4 years ago with 114k miles and now at 145k. In those years I have changed the rear brake disks and pads, new water pump, new AOS, just replaced the PCM with a nice Kenwood unit, and this week will be replacing the transmission. Just in the last year the 2nd gear grind/pop-out has become an issue so I am getting a used Cayman tranny with 45k miles. It burns a little more oil than I like and I think over the next few years I'll send it off to Raby for a rebuild and punch-out to a 3.6L.

For yours, if the transmission hasn't started to grind yet in 2nd gear, that may be your next big-ticket item.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I've got an '05 with similar mileage. I bought it almost 4 years ago with 114k miles and now at 145k. In those years I have changed the rear brake disks and pads, new water pump, new AOS, just replaced the PCM with a nice Kenwood unit, and this week will be replacing the transmission. Just in the last year the 2nd gear grind/pop-out has become an issue so I am getting a used Cayman tranny with 45k miles. It burns a little more oil than I like and I think over the next few years I'll send it off to Raby for a rebuild and punch-out to a 3.6L.

For yours, if the transmission hasn't started to grind yet in 2nd gear, that may be your next big-ticket item.
Thanks for the input, lesmurray. A little story for you in regards to 2nd-gear popout. Within the first year I got my car, the dealership replaced my transmission twice because it was popping out of second gear. When they replaced it the second time, PCNA made me sign a statement that said that if it happened again, they would need me to pay for the replacement. The transmission would then be sent to Porsche in Germany to determine if it was a failure of the part, or a failure of the user, and I would be reimbursed accordingly.

You can imagine this didn't sit well with me. I know how to drive a manual car and I was not racing or doing dumb things. Combined with this, and the electronics issues I was having with the stereo, I started the process to lemon law the car (it had been at the dealership a LOT). In the end, after a bunch of haggling back and forth, Porsche offered me a full 100,000 mile CPO extended warranty on the car and upgraded me to PCM from the base stereo, so I dropped the case.

147k miles later and I'm still on that third transmission. Also, when they had to replaced my IMS about 20k miles ago, I told them to go ahead and replace the clutch if it needed it. My dealership called me and said "dude, you have 50% left on this clutch!" I told them to slap it back together. Still on that clutch now. For the past ten years, whenever I take that car in for service, I remind them of this past insult, although at this point it's just a joking matter. :)

But, yes, in the past ten thousand miles, I'm starting to have an intermittent 2nd-gear popout issue, so that syncro is getting worn. I assume this is a known issue at this point, although I haven't researched it to see how much of an epidemic this problem has been. It only happens about once on any given tank of gas, so I'm just being gentle with 2nd gear and will see if it gets worse.

·
Registered
314 Posts
eslai - I would bite the bullet now and get it repaired before it gets worse. There are a couple of shops doing 2nd gear fixes for about $1500 - $2000 plus shipping. GBox and California Automotive were the two I looked into. My local guy would also do it, but I decided the replacement would be a better option.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
eslai - I would bite the bullet now and get it repaired before it gets worse. There are a couple of shops doing 2nd gear fixes for about $1500 - $2000 plus shipping. GBox and California Automotive were the two I looked into. My local guy would also do it, but I decided the replacement would be a better option.
Oh, is it the type of thing that can be fixed now, and if left to get worse on its own will trash the tranny instead?

Maybe it's time for me to do some research on Planet-9...thank you.

·
Vendor
6,503 Posts
Did you try driving 981 or 718? They would be much much faster, and much better cars all around, no matter how good shape is your car kept in. So if you are not prepared to spend the money - don't test drive :)

Mentioning 360 Modena for 80K show you are not serious with us. Only very rich people can afford that, no matter of initial price. And then they say it's not a good daily driver and not a good tourer...

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Did you try driving 981 or 718? They would be much much faster, and much better cars all around, no matter how good shape is your car kept in. So if you are not prepared to spend the money - don't test drive :)
I have driven both a 981S and a 718S now. The 981S sounds better, the 718S has all that power! I didn't like the higher dash/sides on these cars versus the 987S but in every other measure, they're pretty amazing. I'd probably be more likely to buy a 981S over the 718S though.

Mentioning 360 Modena for 80K show you are not serious with us. Only very rich people can afford that, no matter of initial price. And then they say it's not a good daily driver and not a good tourer...
You may be coming to conclusions that I didn't mean for you to conclude. Neither the Boxster nor the Modena would be a daily driver for me at this point. I was trying to say that if I was looking to spend $80k on another sports car, there's a lot of cars that I could consider in that price range that are arguably more interesting than a 981S, especially in the context of a car that will be getting less than 5000 miles a year.

If you can afford $80k+ to throw at a "play car", you can probably afford the maintenance. I'm not rich, but a Modena is not THAT crazy to consider, there's plenty of documentation out there on the web now that talks about how to choose a well-sorted 360 to buy, and how to maintain them.

But yeah, I'm probably not looking to spend that much right now. We have four cars in our family at this point, two of which are sports cars, so putting $80k in one spot is hard to justify. That's why I was saying that maybe just selling my 2005 987S and buying like a low-mileage 2009 987S might be a better way to go for me.

·
Vendor
6,503 Posts
IMO, buying 2009 to replace 2005 is the worst option. It's still two generations down the list... Just keep your current car then. 147 is not really high mileage. There are plenty of 200K miles cars out there. I regularly drive my daily drivers past 150K (long commute)

If you are still itching for a refresh - low mileage 981S is the most balanced choice, I think. You can get it for half the price of a new 718, yet it's essentially same car, and huge improvement on 987. Chip in value of your current car and we are talking about (just) $25K expense! Much easier on the wallet, no?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was looking around and saw this really good deal on this 2005 Porsche Boxster Base model. I was pulled in by the price ($5k) and hopefully I am able to negotiate it lower because it does have a check engine light and 167k miles. I am not sure if I should buy it, I've heard porsche's are reliable and am aware of the ims bearing issues, but at 167k this car has probably overcome and replaced everything needed. The owner has no service records shes had the car since 118k miles and does not know the cause of the check engine light. Please and thank you for helping- George, potential porsche owner lol. Here is the link to the car for sale : Porsche Boxster 2005 - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was looking around and saw this really good deal on this 2005 Porsche Boxster Base model. I was pulled in by the price ($5k) and hopefully I am able to negotiate it lower because it does have a check engine light and 167k miles. I am not sure if I should buy it, I've heard porsche's are reliable and am aware of the ims bearing issues, but at 167k this car has probably overcome and replaced everything needed. The owner has no service records shes had the car since 118k miles and does not know the cause of the check engine light. Please and thank you for helping- George, potential porsche owner lol. Here is the link to the car for sale : Porsche Boxster 2005 - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive...
OP was from 2017...(I see you posted this elsewhere so I’ll respond there.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you really like the car, keep it. I would echo a couple of comments from above. 1) Go ahead and change the water pump, drive belts, etc. when you can just as a precaution. 2) you mentioned that you changed oil change intervals to 10,000 miles. With my under 50,000 mile '06 Cayman, I change at 5,000 mile intervals with LubriMoly 5w40 and do a Blackstone analysis. On a DIY basis, it's less than $100. Most Porsche owners are looking for the next car. But if you are not going to be putting daily driver miles on the car, it should deliver quite a few more years of pleasure.

With regard to the comment about 981's, they are great cars. I've driven a friends 981 Boxter GTS and it is a super car. That said, I'm actually looking for a 987.2 Boxster S as a preference.

Good luck with the decision process.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an 05 Boxster S that had 30,000 miles on it. I bought it in Montreal and drove it to Vancouver vis Phoenix - this car is my last car! Its like driving a scalpel, all the insulation between me and the road, thick on a Mercedes or even my F150, falls away as soon as the temperature gauge hits 175. The first shift at 7000 blows me away with that wonderful symphony. No, the IMS is original, everything except titanium wheel studs and 5 mm spacers is original, all maintenance is up to date with 5000 Km(!) oil changes. If it ever gets boring (ha!) I’ll start modifying it (gently) with an exhaust and springs, maybe Girodiscs... Do you realize what a gem you’ve got? You have a water stone to sharpen your blade until - scalpel.

Keep it, definitely.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts