Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my car to the dealer to have it checked and to program a Key. As always they tried to sell me tons of stuff for tons of money. In that list they mentioned that it was time for me to replace rear rotors, pads and they even suggested a root canal! (not really true, but you get what I meant) I was browsing through ebay looking for rotors and pads but it is a bit overwhelming trying to find a good brand of rotors and pads. I dont track my car but do like the way cross drilled rotors look! Any advice???

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
This forum has posted articles on doing the job yourself -- Rears are easy to do. Some say to replace the caliper bolts each time you take the calipers off (needed to replace the rotors). Last time I did it, I used OEM parts from the dealer, used my PCA discount and paid myself of the labor.
Try it, you'll like it.
D

·
Registered
362 Posts
My advice is to inspect the pads and rotors that are on the car. For a street only car, the brakes wear very slowly and there is not a lot of benefit to replacing them early.

And if they do need replacing, the stock pads and rotors are hard to beat for a street car. And Sebro drilled rotors are essentially the stock rotors without the Porsche box.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
If you suspect the dealer is exaggerating the need for rotor replacement, you can get a metric (or better- electronic, which has both metric & English) dial caliper and measure the thickness. The specs are stamped near the hub of the rotor. Pad thickness I just eyeball, and you can also look & see how close to the brake pad sensor you are. If you don't track the car, and don't mind replacing the indicator wire, just drive it until the light comes on the dash.

John

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats what I was looking for, a couple of brands to look for on internet sites. I will do it myself, I like working on my cars unless is something major. Thanks for all your advice. Will keep you posted on updates!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts