Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently have a 2.7 Tiptronic Cayman model year '07. It has 100,000km on it. Now that new cayman is out, trade in value is probably nothing.

Now here comes the question... keep the Cayman and get a BMW 320i (base spec, no sunroof) *Note to those in USA: the 320i is Canadian only, it isn't the one from 1999-2004. It is the F30 model.
I have to say my favourite car of all time is my BMW 323i... it is 1.5x better than the Cayman!

OR

upgrade to new Cayman base model no options?

OR

wait for a used 981 Cayman in 1-2 years base model no options?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
If you can wait... the other option is a new targa roof model of the Cayman, that Porsche has hinted about. My guess is that they will refresh the 981 mid cycle be fixing any problems and adding the targa roof option to boost sales volume.

·
Registered
293 Posts
If you can wait... the other option is a new targa roof model of the Cayman, that Porsche has hinted about. My guess is that they will refresh the 981 mid cycle be fixing any problems and adding the targa roof option to boost sales volume.
And hopefully they'll do away with the spoiler integrated into the rear taillights with the refresh.

·
Premium Member
3,552 Posts
Currently have a 2.7 Tiptronic Cayman model year '07. It has 100,000km on it. Now that new cayman is out, trade in value is probably nothing.

Now here comes the question... keep the Cayman and get a BMW 320i (base spec, no sunroof) *Note to those in USA: the 320i is Canadian only, it isn't the one from 1999-2004. It is the F30 model.
I have to say my favourite car of all time is my BMW 323i... it is 1.5x better than the Cayman!...
Forgive me if this is a silly question, but if the 323i is one and a half times the car that the cayman is, why not get yourself one of those instead? Unless you have some kind of aversion to driving cars that you really, really like.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I have a 2007 Cayman with 64,xxx miles on it, and I'm trading it in for a new one. I picked it up with less than 10K miles on it a little over 3 years ago, and it was an absolute steal. Almost had full warranty on it. Well, I want my warranty back again, and a nicer interior. So, this makes sense to me. Plus, the new Cayman makes me feel like an obsessive little girl...LOVE the looks of it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forgive me if this is a silly question, but if the 323i is one and a half times the car that the cayman is, why not get yourself one of those instead? Unless you have some kind of aversion to driving cars that you really, really like.
Sorry late reply, was out of country; roaming charges are insane!

The problem with the 323i is that 1) they stopped producing it already since the F30's got released. and 2) I already own one and drive it. However, it is getting old and I've been told the 320i is comparable to it.

The reason why the BMW is 1.5x better? trunk that can store my traveling bags, pretty fast, good on gas and quite engaging for city driving

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts

The problem with the 323i is that 1) they stopped producing it already since the F30's got released. and 2) I already own one and drive it. However, it is getting old and I've been told the 320i is comparable to it.

The reason why the BMW is 1.5x better? trunk that can store my traveling bags, pretty fast, good on gas and quite engaging for city driving

Does anyone else find it funny that your 2006 BMW is "getting old" and you want to replace it, yet my 2006 Cayman S is still going strong and loved? :hilarious:

I have driven it coast to coast with traveling bags for 2 people. It's faster than a 323i, can get 28mpg highway, and is far more engaging than any BMW I've ever driven.

I don't think I would trade my Cayman for 1.5x BMW 323i's, or even a dozen of them... :cheers:

·
Registered
486 Posts
Hi I am new here but thought I would reply to this before I do an intro
We had a 2007 320i sport which was a great car I traded it on a new 2010 325i sport was also a great car but in the garage we also had a 99 boxster which had been there since 2001 and I tell you every time you get in the boxster it put a smile on your face the BMW was just transport so this time I traded the 325i and the boxster on a new boxster and could not be happier
BMWs are nice but they are not Porsches

·
Sexual Philanthropist
1,001 Posts
Like others I'm wondering why you would want another Cayman. If the BMW is 1.5x better than the Porsche why not sell both of your current cars and get a high spec (read: everything you want) new 3 series and call it a day?

For myself I'm no longer a fan of BMW. I traded my Cayman S for a 2011 M3 and kept it a total of 8 months. I've also had an E46 M3 and an X3 for the wife. She currently drives an X5 diesel. My impression has always been they put great motors in compromised vehicles. Porsche on the other hand makes great vehicles and compromises them with restricted motors (for all but the GTs).

·
Registered
2,725 Posts

If you enjoyed your E90 pre-LCI 1.5x more than the Cayman then upgrading to a new Cayman might not be a wise choice. Maybe the new Lexus IS?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Does anyone else find it funny that your 2006 BMW is "getting old" and you want to replace it, yet my 2006 Cayman S is still going strong and loved? :hilarious:

I have driven it coast to coast with traveling bags for 2 people. It's faster than a 323i, can get 28mpg highway, and is far more engaging than any BMW I've ever driven.

I don't think I would trade my Cayman for 1.5x BMW 323i's, or even a dozen of them... :cheers:
And only two engine failures in that time. ;)

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Re: Re: Time to upgrade to new Cayman?

And only two engine failures in that time. ;)
Hey now, that was one engine that suffered a failure then was rebuilt by my local dealer in sub par fashion and was removed before it failed a second time, so technically only one failure. :) still wouldn't trade for the bimmer...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
326 Posts
Does anyone else find it funny that your 2006 BMW is "getting old" and you want to replace it, yet my 2006 Cayman S is still going strong and loved?
Ken, you are still going strong indeed, but if memory serves, you recently had a complete engine rebuild due to scored cylinders. Wouldn't just about any car be going strong after an engine rebuild? For me, I would have a really hard time generating love if any car engine of mine needed rebuilding for reasons unrelated to high mileage.

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Ken, you are still going strong indeed, but if memory serves, you recently had a complete engine rebuild due to scored cylinders. Wouldn't just about any car be going strong after an engine rebuild? For me, I would have a really hard time generating love if any car engine of mine needed rebuilding for reasons unrelated to high mileage.
No the engine rebuild was in 2008 and was due to oil starvation at the track, failed rods, etc. That rebuilt engine was replaced recently because the rebuild work was shoddy, not anything to do with the engine itself, but everythind to do with the rebuild job done to it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Okay, I agree that my '07 Cayman looks a lot better than my BMW... at least it aged better. However I also have tons of snow where I live, so a Cayman can't be my year rounder hence why I keep two cars. The Cayman is an awesome toy but not that flexible otherwise.

Ofc Porsche is better than a base BMW, but there are many other factors to consider in the real world with limited funds... I mean if I was loaded I would get a 911 Turbo AND a BMW 750Li. But sadly I cannot :p

Therefore if I upgrade Cayman, that means no new BMW. If I upgrade new BMW, no new Cayman... its a trade off the middle class must make! I know that I also have the use of a BMW X3 and a C250... but comeon those cars are anemic!

·
Registered
2,792 Posts

Amen to that. We do have an E90 330i, which I believe is way faster than the 323 and is almost comparable to a CS @ 273 bhp. And although it is an awesome sedan IMO, but I'd never replace a Porsche with it!

Question though, if you do get a 320, does that mean you'll have 2 bimmers or are you selling the 323?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts