Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am new to all of this but I really appreciate this active and enthousiastc community.

Here's are my questions:
I've heard Porsche is very conservative on 0-60 times.
According to Porsche a Cayman S (gen 2) with PDK and Sport Chrono will make 60 mph in 4.6 seconds. Anyone know what the real number is? Road and track or Motor Trend tested a current Boxter S and said they hit 4.1 very easily.

My other question is about shaving off a few extra tenths of a second (I know this is probably a repetitive thread question). Mostly I am interested in anyone's experiences with tire sizes, aftermarket wheels, and minor engine/exhaust packages. I am looking for solutions for at or below $10k.

Also (since I am such a rookie) do aftermarket body effects just add weight and looks or can they improve performance speedwise by affectng airflow? Lol I am such a noob!

Take it easy on me guys! ;)

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
Ok so I am new to all of this but I really appreciate this active and enthousiastc community.

Here's are my questions:
I've heard Porsche is very conservative on 0-60 times.
According to Porsche a Cayman S (gen 2) with PDK and Sport Chrono will make 60 mph in 4.6 seconds. Anyone know what the real number is? Road and track or Motor Trend tested a current Boxter S and said they hit 4.1 very easily.

My other question is about shaving off a few extra tenths of a second (I know this is probably a repetitive thread question). Mostly I am interested in anyone's experiences with tire sizes, aftermarket wheels, and minor engine/exhaust packages. I am looking for solutions for at or below $10k.

Also (since I am such a rookie) do aftermarket body effects just add weight and looks or can they improve performance speedwise by affectng airflow? Lol I am such a noob!

Take it easy on me guys! ;)
Real PDK times are anywhere from 4.0 to 4.4 seconds from what I have seen, probably depends on the driver, the gas, the altitude, weather and othe miscellaneous factors between individuals cars/tests.

If you want tire/wheel info please check our tire and wheel forum and/or our FAQ there is a lot of information there already about different tires and wheels that people are using for various reasons, such as auto cross, HPDE, etc. etc. Likewise our modification forum is chock full of exhaust and other modifications there for your reading pleasure.

As for body kits, some can have beneficial effects, for example better airflow for front brake cooling, or less lift at speed. However, most kits are purely for looks and don't provide any tangible performance benefit (some may even provide a detriment, without wind tunnel testing there is no way to know!) For around town driving, the extra weight (if the new parts weigh more than the old you took off) would be a detriment, but probably not a noticeable one.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
get out to a drag strip and put 6 runs down so you have a base to work off

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is that counting install? I would say many of us here are not that brave of a DIY'er.
Amen! I would not dare touch the innards of a Cayman. Only the steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can get the non intercooled system (good for 380whp) installed at our shop for less that 10k including tax.
Are those improvements available on the 2009-2011 models or only first generation?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.