Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I been discovering a lot of tiny nicks on my paint and I'm wondering if I can leave them alone.

I don't drive my car in the winter, although rusting can happen in any environment. I am talking about those tiny nicks in the paint where it looks like it's only the clearcoat, but you're not sure if it hit the bare metal.

How do you handle these rock chips? I do have Dr. Color Chip and I find it easy to fix large rock chips. However, for small nicks can I safely leave them alone? More often than not, trying to touch up small chips just end up looking more ugly than not doing anything.

My concern is rust prevention, I don't care about the visual aspects of small nicks.

My understanding is Porsche's don't really rust, with the process they use in the manufacturing of the cars hence the robust 10 year warranty.

Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I don't think rust is a factor. It's merely cosmetic and sometimes the fix looks worse than the nick. I have lots of them and have for a lot of years. Nothing is rusting. Bigger ones I touch up or even small ones that I can touch up using paint and a tooth pick. The smallest are best left alone.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
I agree with Budman. I don't think rust is an issue but for cosmetic reasons I sometimes use Dr. ColorChip to repair small nicks.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Lately I been discovering a lot of tiny nicks on my paint and I'm wondering if I can leave them alone.

I don't drive my car in the winter, although rusting can happen in any environment. I am talking about those tiny nicks in the paint where it looks like it's only the clearcoat, but you're not sure if it hit the bare metal.

How do you handle these rock chips? I do have Dr. Color Chip and I find it easy to fix large rock chips. However, for small nicks can I safely leave them alone? More often than not, trying to touch up small chips just end up looking more ugly than not doing anything.

My concern is rust prevention, I don't care about the visual aspects of small nicks.

My understanding is Porsche's don't really rust, with the process they use in the manufacturing of the cars hence the robust 10 year warranty.

Any insight would be appreciated.
What rust? Our cars are mostly aluminum. And none of the small chips go through the paint anyway.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for all the responses.

Yes my preference would be to leave small tiny nicks alone, the ones where even a toothpick is too large.

I just wanted to confirm I don't need to worry about any rust issues, as that is the main reason I touch up and not for comestic.

Thanks for confirming!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
What rust? Our cars are mostly aluminum. And none of the small chips go through the paint anyway.
+1. Here is the figure from the manual for the 981 Cayman. The skin is mostly aluminum.

Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 12.53.56 PM.jpg

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
What rust? Our cars are mostly aluminum.
He didn't say what year he dad. On 987's only the hood is Aluminium. I think only the Spyder had aluminum doors and rear lid.
Agree rust isn't much of a problem. I had some chips on the leading edge of my roof that went down to the primer. I went a couple years before filling with Dr ColorChip.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He didn't say what year he dad. On 987's only the hood is Aluminium. I think only the Spyder had aluminum doors and rear lid.
Agree rust isn't much of a problem. I had some chips on the leading edge of my roof that went down to the primer. I went a couple years before filling with Dr ColorChip.
Good point, I have a 981. I figured between all the aluminum and galvanized chassis, I should be safe from not filling in any tiny nicks.

I have some large paint chips down to bare metal, I find those easy to fix and level with Dr. Colorchip.

I have tiny nicks where it's not clear if it's on the paint surface or down to metal, I would prefer to leave those alone if I didn't need to.

By all the responses, given I don't drive my car in the winter and our car is mostly aluminum and galvanized chassis, it seems very safe for me to leave those nicks untouched.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Tried today on one chip on the hood. Initially was scared that I messed it up because excess paint wasn't coming off. But applied little more pressure and it came off. I think I like it. I'm going to wait for a day and do 2nd application.

The squeegee that came with it was hard to use. I think its good for covering big area. Then I smeared the paint using my thumb. That worked.

After seeing Ammo video, I tried Porsche touch up paint using Loew cornell pen. It was a mess.

I'll post some pics once I'm done.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
To me the only reason to touch-up small chips was to prevent rusting, and that's no longer an issue. I've seen many cars that were touched up and at best they were marginally better. None looked like the product advertisements that showed perfection. :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Agree, You won't get body shop like fix. At least, now I've to look for it. Earlier, the chip looked like a star (my car is black. Hood is otherwise perfect) even from few feets away. I think with 2nd application it will be even less noticeable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts