Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I've had my 2013 Boxster S for two months now. I've been trying to determine just how long things like the brakes and tires will go before needing replacement. The brakes seem to be lasting longer than I thought. This was bought as a cpo with 24450miles on it and the front brakes had 60% and the rears 80%. I'm assuming these are the stock pads. Is that normal wear, assuming this car was probably just driven as a DD? If so, they will greatly outlast my Lexus is350 pads.

The tires are 19in Goodyear f1 tires. All tires had around 6/32 tread remaining. Anyway to tell if these are the second set? I would be pleasantly surprised if so! 24k miles would be a lot more than I figured for a Boxster. At the same time, I'm a little concerned about the actual age of the tire if they are original set.

New to Porsche, so go easy!

·
Registered
437 Posts
My tire experience is with the P-Zeros. I got 15k miles out of the rears and the fronts are half worn. It is weird that all the tires have the same tread depth on them since they should not wear evenly.

On the brakes situation I would ask you how you know they are the original set of pads that came with the car? And at that rate I am pretty sure they are recommended to be replaced at around 50% but that may just be the PCCB's

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hello everyone,

I've had my 2013 Boxster S for two months now. I've been trying to determine just how long things like the brakes and tires will go before needing replacement. The brakes seem to be lasting longer than I thought. This was bought as a cpo with 24450miles on it and the front brakes had 60% and the rears 80%. I'm assuming these are the stock pads. Is that normal wear, assuming this car was probably just driven as a DD? If so, they will greatly outlast my Lexus is350 pads.

The tires are 19in Goodyear f1 tires. All tires had around 6/32 tread remaining. Anyway to tell if these are the second set? I would be pleasantly surprised if so! 24k miles would be a lot more than I figured for a Boxster. At the same time, I'm a little concerned about the actual age of the tire if they are original set.

Depends on use!

Your brakes are almost definitely the first pair. For your reference, I have 50k miles on the original brake pads and still have 50% remaining because I did mostly highway driving.

Regarding your tires, I can't speak to the specific Goodyear F1 model because I have had PZero and Michelin PSS. Based on the reviews on tirerack, it sounds highly unlikely anyone is getting 24k miles with tread to go on those tires. The date of the manufacture is listed in case you are curious: https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/how-to-determine-the-age-of-your-tires

Enjoy your car!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Depends on use!

Your brakes are almost definitely the first pair. For your reference, I have 50k miles on the original brake pads and still have 50% remaining because I did mostly highway driving.

Regarding your tires, I can't speak to the specific Goodyear F1 model because I have had PZero and Michelin PSS. Based on the reviews on tirerack, it sounds highly unlikely anyone is getting 24k miles with tread to go on those tires. The date of the manufacture is listed in case you are curious: https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/how-to-determine-the-age-of-your-tires

Enjoy your car!
Looks like three tires have 2014 date codes and one has 2015. I'd guess that the original owner got a new set in 2015. The car was a 2012 build.

No idea how it was driven, but I'd assume it was a DD since it actually has some miles on it. It was traded in by the original owner for a 911.

Changing brakes at 50%? That's pretty extreme. The cpo report says that Porsche recommends that the dealer change them out if less than 50% remain. It also says that the tires are to be changed if less than 4mm or 50% for high performance models.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
No way max summer tires would last 24K miles, especially with 50%+ remaining tread. As you found out, looks like the 2nd set. Brakes are much better than I'd expect, indicating a very easy life so far. For that kind of driving, you can wait a lot longer before replacement. But for track use, you don't want them much lower than 50% because the less material on the pads, the quicker the heat transfer, meaning quicker fade.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No way max summer tires would last 24K miles, especially with 50%+ remaining tread. As you found out, looks like the 2nd set. Brakes are much better than I'd expect, indicating a very easy life so far. For that kind of driving, you can wait a lot longer before replacement. But for track use, you don't want them much lower than 50% because the less material on the pads, the quicker the heat transfer, meaning quicker fade.
Yeah I kinda figured these were the second set. These eagle f1 look to be much more pricey than the Michelin pss. I wonder why?

No tracking for me, best thing I have around me is some spirited back roads.

·
Registered
537 Posts
So brake pads need to be replaced after using just half their life? I can understand using extra caution and replacing once 75% worn, but replacing after just 50% wear seems extreme. Basically, when you buy the pads you're paying twice as much as you should if replacing at 50%. Is this 50% brake pad rule of thumb similar to the change-your-oil-every-3,000 miles rule?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So brake pads need to be replaced after using just half their life? I can understand using extra caution and replacing once 75% worn, but replacing after just 50% wear seems extreme. Basically, when you buy the pads you're paying twice as much as you should if replacing at 50%. Is this 50% brake pad rule of thumb similar to the change-your-oil-every-3,000 miles rule?
I'm pretty sure it just applies to tracking. Otherwise it wouldn't be 50% "life" it would be a thickness to replace at like, 2/32 or something.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Hello everyone,

Probably second set of tires as others have commented and maybe only the rears were replaced. The rears on mine were wearing at at almost twice the rate of the fronts. I replaced all 4 just to dump the Pirellis. Lots of highway driving would preserve the brake pads I suppose but why on earth would anyone buy a Boxster as a highway car? It provides for the dullest driving experience. This car is built for twisty backroads. And the brakes won't last very long when driven with any level of enthusiasm. When the roads are empty of course.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Probably second set of tires as others have commented and maybe only the rears were replaced. The rears on mine were wearing at at almost twice the rate of the fronts. I replaced all 4 just to dump the Pirellis. Lots of highway driving would preserve the brake pads I suppose but why on earth would anyone buy a Boxster as a highway car? It provides for the dullest driving experience. This car is built for twisty backroads. And the brakes won't last very long when driven with any level of enthusiasm. When the roads are empty of course.
It was originally bought in South Florida. Not a lot of backroads down that way, so I assume it was their DD for work. It's my weekend car and gets driven, spiritedly, down the backroads of northern Florida:)

I've put 2700 miles on it in just two months, so I'll be keeping a closer eye on wear and tear items. Just was curious as to what it's past life may have been based on its wear and tear items. I thought 60/80% brakes left with 24k miles was pretty easy driving as my Lexus is350 fronts were completely gone after 45k miles and I do a lot of coasting and engine braking in that car.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Since the brakes have sensors on them, does the car/computer tell the driver when it is time to replace the pads?

Speaking of brake pads, is there a recommended pad (OEM? Aftermarket brand?) to use for normal city/highway driving?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
^ Yes, for street driving you can just run until the sensors trigger the warning. IIRC that will be about 2mm friction material. New pads have approx. 10mm friction material. For track minimum of 50% pad thickness is usually recommended and noted on tech forms. Depends on the track and driver though. Low braking circuit I have no problem starting a weekend at 50% or a little less. For a hard braking track like COTA I want min of 70% to start a DE especially a 3 day event.

On pad selection just search, number of threads on that topic.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
So, what's an "easy" way to measure brake pad thickness without having to get the caliper off?
Very easy, just look through the wheel. May need a flashlight. The backing plate on most oem pads is approx. 4mm thick so you can eyeball it from there. If the pad material is the same thickness as the backing plate you have about 40% of original pad left. You can also get a plastic gauge to be more precise. You are only seeing one edge of the outside pad however and sometimes pad will wear unevenly or taper. If you jack the car up and remove the wheel you can check the inner pad. But just looking at the outside is a quick check. edit- added a photo of pad on a 981 GT4, the backing plate is easier to see.

Attachments

Reactions: mrg02d

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
As another reference point since I have the GYs also and a Boxster S:

Rear tires replaced at 18k
Front pads and rotors replaced at 29k. (sensor lit etc). rotors had a huge lip in them. I drive hard and its mostly backroads stuff.
Full set of tires need to be replaced now at 33k.

Reactions: mrg02d

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As another reference point since I have the GYs also and a Boxster S:

Rear tires replaced at 18k
Front pads and rotors replaced at 29k. (sensor lit etc). rotors had a huge lip in them. I drive hard and its mostly backroads stuff.
Full set of tires need to be replaced now at 33k.
Honestly, not sure how hard I drive. My backroads are very long, so not much braking. A lot more acceleration and downshifts than anything. If these pads go at the same rate they seem to be going at, I'll be a happy camper! Now, if this car is on its second set of pads, then dern.

·
Registered
542 Posts
A point for comparison:
My 2013 Boxster Base, 19" with Goodyear F1's

Rears were replaced with 30576 miles, still did not reach wear bands. Front still had 50%.

Granted, I don't push the car as hard as others, it was a DD, but the 981 can get much better wear than the 987's and much much better than the 986's.

I have another 23674 miles on my winter tires, and they are at about 30% remaining (rears).

I generally get about 40000 miles out of brake pads.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have 32k miles on my car, original pads and p-zeros.

Front pads around 40%, rear 60%.

Front tires are quite bald (replacing tomorrow actually).
Rear tires probably 30% life left.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have 32k miles on my car, original pads and p-zeros.

Front pads around 40%, rear 60%.

Front tires are quite bald (replacing tomorrow actually).
Rear tires probably 30% life left.
dude WHAT. I don't know what's more crazy-- that fact that you managed to get 32k miles out of the P Zeros or the fact that your front tires wore faster than the rears! I guess the smooth Florida roads aren't nearly as hard on tires as the roads in the Northeast!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.