Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey forum,

I've been searching around on here and haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. I just ordered new wheels for my 2012 Cayman S and am not sure on what size tire I can run. The front wheels are ACE® - COUTURE (20" x 8.5", +45mm offset) and the rears are ACE® - COUTURE (20" x 10", +40mm offset).

I want to know if I can run Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/30R20 in the front and 295/30R20 in the rear with no rub at all? The fronts would be 0.4" wider (9.65" vs. 9.45" stock) and 0.31" taller (25.79" vs. 25.48" stock). The rears would be 1.18" wider (11.61" vs. 10.43" stock) and 0.67" taller (26.97" vs. 26.30" stock).
The website I'm buying them from says they can't guarantee the tires I want as their database doesn't list them for fitment.

I've seen guys on here that run 255/30R19 (10.04" x 25.02") up front and 295/30R19 (11.61" x 25.97") in the rear also with over a 1.5" drop (springs). They said they have minimal rub, but I'd really like to have absolutely no rub at all. I may want to put on an Eibach Pro Kit (1.2" drop springs) later, but for now I just want to make sure I can run the tires I've described above.

Anyone have any insight? It's greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
Lets see

1) You are picking over sized tires
2) You been advised about rubbing on a lowered car
3) You want to lower your car as well

Look at it this way. Your tire is 1" taller than theirs, you drop will be .3" less, for a total difference of .7"

I think that if you want a guarantee for no rub you would need to install a lift kit. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hahaa.. yeah, I'm used to lifting trucks so dropping cars is completely new to me ;-)

I'm trying to get rid of all the excess space in my wheel well. Here's a pic of my car and a pic of how I want it to look. I emailed the manufacturer that took the new wheel photo to see what specs they're running, but I've yet to hear back from them.

2014-04-28 10.53.17.jpg
Porsche_Cayman_01.jpg

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
Here's a shot of a Cayman S with BFG R1 245/40 x 18 and 275/35 x 18. Near standard offsets. No fender gap, light rub on an inside screw head.
Look like you need to tighten up your lowered suspension a little more. You only need about another 1/4" or so to lift the inside rear of the pavement doing turns. ;)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm thinking about picking up fronts that are 18x9 with a 43mm offset. I've heard from one person that it'll barely fit and another person said I'll need to roll the fender. Thoughts???

·
Registered
864 Posts
My fronts are O.Z. 8-1/2" with 53 offset and fits fine. You will be 10 mm further in so may need a spacer. Shouldn't need to roll fender.

·
Registered
864 Posts
amdeutsch, My data shows I'm pulling 1.38 Gs at that point. At that time, I was running PSS9 with 450# F and 500# R. Now running MCS 2-way with 500# F and 600# R. Car still is street driven.

·
Incurable Gearhead
993 Posts
Here's a shot of a Cayman S with BFG R1 245/40 x 18 and 275/35 x 18. Near standard offsets. No fender gap, light rub on an inside screw head.
Great pic!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not going to track my car, only a daily driver. Not worried about fully compressing the suspension, so shouldn't I have some more leeway with tire fitment? There's a lot of room around the tires in stock setup, so I want to fill that space. Are all these concerns with rub only when speaking about cornering with the car? I'd love to approach a 1G+ turn one day, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I think that you still need spacers regardless of suspension compression since your offset is incorrect for a Cayman.

·
Registered
296 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My car is a Black Edition.. #430. I hit a curb and my right front and right rear wheels are bent. The dealership wants $6400+ to get replacements from Germany, so I'm just ordering 4 new aftermarket wheels and tires for half that cost. Sucks to switch them up, but the cost is better. I will have 2 left wheels in perfect condition if anyone wants to buy them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts