Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was wiping down the wheels when I noticed a slice in the right front tire. These arn't that old, which sucks but I'm not sure it's really that bad either.

The slice is at an angle, I stuck a razor in it for depth measuring. With this being in a piece of the tread I'm not sure it's all that bad. I have a DE on Nov 8th and a AX on the 23rd. Was hoping to use the tires a bit before having to replace them. I don't believe this is more than 1mm deep and it's at an angle.

Input?

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
I wouldn't worry about that at all. The cord is still far away from that superficial slice. If you drive hard enough at the DE it will likely wear the outer edge of the tires away enough that the slice is gone anyway :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
I agree with patterson. Think about how deep the tread pattern is to begin with. You're nowhere near that. I would just monitor it to make sure it doesn't tear or anything. You could even be proactive and file the edge down there's less of a chance but honestly I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Agree it will probably be ok. The most likely "bad" outcome would be a triangular chunk of that tread block breaking off. Just keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats what I was hoping for. I really would like to get some track time :) This car is my therapist.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
How hard do you track - i.e. what group are you in (list all groups since the vary by region for ref)? What is your alignment? Etc.

You could face chuncking. You could have an issue with the tire - i.e. what causes this. Its hard to tell.

If you were a green (lowest) student I would say you're OK. At black level (highest) you know what you are doing and wouldn't ask on a forum. Therefore I believe you are green or +1 from that. Your tech inspection may be of a different opinion.

HTH

GL

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Looks superficial from here.

How hard do you track - i.e. what group are you in (list all groups since the vary by region for ref)? What is your alignment? Etc.

You could face chuncking. You could have an issue with the tire - i.e. what causes this. Its hard to tell.

If you were a green (lowest) student I would say you're OK. At black level (highest) you know what you are doing and wouldn't ask on a forum. Therefore I believe you are green or +1 from that. Your tech inspection may be of a different opinion.

HTH

GL

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'd be in red or orange, it's been 4 years since I've been there so they might bump me back down. I think I'd be in orange but I've never run this car.

Stock alignment. I wouldn't expect to run all that hard in that group.
Track is Firebird main NASA AZ » Blog Archive » Firebird – Main
Big carousel in the back, of corse it also happens to be the loaded outside tire in that carousel. In my truck I'd hit about 130 and have to be hard on the breaks, running about 70/75mph. I have no idea what the BS is capable of.

·
3,107 Posts
I'd be in red or orange, it's been 4 years since I've been there so they might bump me back down. I think I'd be in orange but I've never run this car.

Stock alignment. I wouldn't expect to run all that hard in that group.
Track is Firebird main NASA AZ » Blog Archive » Firebird – Main
Big carousel in the back, of corse it also happens to be the loaded outside tire in that carousel. In my truck I'd hit about 130 and have to be hard on the breaks, running about 70/75mph. I have no idea what the BS is capable of.
No clue what your colors mean. Thats why I ask for a list since all regions seem to do it differently (for ref PCA tried to standardize and couldn't get regions to agree - would've made it easy to go between regions).

Per your post you are past green and are running a stock alignment. Tech is going to be the vote that counts. Thats all there is to it; no matter what forum comments you get.

EDIT
And the one thing that scares me is the fact that you used a razor blade to probe depth. If I was your tech, knowing this, I'd fail you in a heart beat. No excuses.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had a heck of a time finding the info
Student (DE-1): First-timers. Must have an Instructor. Passing with instructor permission only on the main straights. Ask for instructor if you have no previous experience with the PCA.
^^ That's me

·
3,107 Posts
Had a heck of a time finding the info
Student (DE-1): First-timers. Must have an Instructor. Passing with instructor permission only on the main straights. Ask for instructor if you have no previous experience with the PCA.
^^ That's me
In that case I don't understand your other color quotes since they, by implication, do not denote 1st time or green student. Keep in mind that its all about safety and making sure everybody and everything gets home safely and in a similar (except tire wear, experience gain, etc) way they got there.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ProAutosports(another non SCCA/NASA group I previously ran with uses a totally backwards group code. Red is first timers, orange is intemediate, Green is advanced)
PCA is using:
[h=1]RUN GROUPS[/h]Student (DE-1): First-timers. Must have an Instructor. Passing with instructor permission only on the main straights. Ask for instructor if you have no previous experience with the PCA.
Beginner (DE-2): Limited experience. Limited passing allowed on main straights. Please wave-by passing car. Instructors are a good idea. Ask for instructor if you have no previous experience with the PCA or have not been on this track.
Intermediate (DE-3): Limited Passing on all straights with caution. Please wave by passing car. Instructors are a good idea. Ask for instructor if you have no previous experience with the PCA or have not been on this track.
Advanced & Instructors (DE-4): By Invitation Only. Passing is permitted in all areas. Please wave cars by. Do not contest corners. No racing. Five-point belts strongly recommended. Advanced driving permit/wristband required.

Believe me I'd be checking that tire after every session.

·
3,107 Posts
ProAutosports(another non SCCA/NASA group I previously ran with uses a totally backwards group code. Red is first timers, orange is intemediate, Green is advanced)
PCA is using:
RUN GROUPS

Beginner (DE-2): Limited experience. Limited passing allowed on main straights. Please wave-by passing car. Instructors are a good idea. Ask for instructor if you have no previous experience with the PCA or have not been on this track.
Intermediate (DE-3): Limited Passing on all straights with caution. Please wave by passing car. Instructors are a good idea. Ask for instructor if you have no previous experience with the PCA or have not been on this track.
Advanced & Instructors (DE-4): By Invitation Only. Passing is permitted in all areas. Please wave cars by. Do not contest corners. No racing. Five-point belts strongly recommended. Advanced driving permit/wristband required.

Believe me I'd be checking that tire after every session.

And that is why it helps to have all the info up front for a 'better than average' opinion. You yourself just found this out. What do you think others will think based on their experience and their regions.
Full disclosure is were its at. My recommendation is that if your instructor is not required to pre tech your car that you be up front and point it out to him. Afterall, you are responsible for his safety as well.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Agreed, and I also don't want to hurt myself or my vehicle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts