Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally run Hoosier A7s on a separate set of wheels for dry days. But, I'm about due to replace my street tires and would like to get something that would work well when it rains. After all, we average 2-3 rain events per season here in the Northwest. I'm trying to decide between the PS4s and the RE-71Rs. It seems pretty straightforward, but here are my considerations:

1. I don't put a lot of miles on the car, and the primary purpose is autocrossing. Whichever tires I purchase will likely need to be replaced because of age, before they wear down
2. A major consideration for me is the number of events/heat cycles before performance dropping off. I would trade a bit of initial performance if it increases the longevity of performance
3. These would be street tires for the occasional saunter or mountain drive. But the focus is the better wet-weather performer in an auto-x situation.

The RE-71Rs would be plus size and the PS4s come in the stock size (20" wheels). In the class I'm running, it doesn't make much of a difference. Thoughts??????

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I think Michelin does a much better job with tire versatility. The key feature is grip at low tire temps. Michelin Cup2 is really good in cold rain - can confirm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
810 Posts
PS4 will have better hydroplane resistance in heavy rain, but RE-71R are going to grip better damp and I've found they work pretty good even in heavy rain (75mph on the highway no issues). If these are dedicated wet tires, the Conti ECS has better wet performance than PS4, but isn't going to be as quick as PS4 or RE-71R if it's drying. They'll probably last longer, too; I'm running DEC15 date stamp RE-71R right now (mounted earlier this year with ~100 runs on them) and they're noticibly slower than fresh tires and just not gripping like they should. Got some JUL17 tires sitting in my kitchen waiting to get mounted up for Lincoln next week, though!

PS4 also happen to be illegal for SCCA competition because they don't come in enough sizes if that matters to you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.