Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
2006 CS 6M
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 06CS with Yokohama Advan Neova AD08r tires. The car also came with Tarrett drop links, sway bars, HR springs and sump extender (The car had some track history). Unfortunately, I couldn't get up my driveway without scraping so I replaced the front springs with Cayman R while adding wheel spacers (7/15 mm F/R). Scraping issue solved & it now has a purposeful stance, but I'm going to need new tires soon.

The car is now basically a daily driver with the occasional back road tour. I've been impressed with the Yokohama's grip, appearance, even the tread is marginally wider, but was considering Pilot Sport 4S which seem to be the go-to tire & may provide a better ride. Now I see Tire Rack has my Yokohamas on closeout, nearly half of what I would spend on the Michelins.

Any thoughts?

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

· Registered
2,039 Posts
How much grip do you want on your sports drive? Your car seems to be equipped to handle spirited drives though the corners where grip is king. What is the wear pattern of the tires? Outside shoulder nearly to the cord or inside showing signs of wear. The reason I ask is what suspension alignment details look like. Did the previous owner put camber into the car to prevent front outside tire shoulder roll. Can you get this info as it will provide some starting point for tire replacement.

Many brands allow tire fipping. Others do not. If the shoulders are only for one corner, not a good choice if you want to maximize the tire tread. Many track guys know this and extend their wear by using the inside shoulder on their outside wear use. The other variable is do you drive your car in the rain? As a case in point here is Bridgestone older Summer tire model RE71R when driven on the street and the tires were flipped, The rain gutters are running against evacuation so almost causing hydroplaning. Currently, my tire choice is RE71RS, but will be changing to my OEM rims with Michelin PS4S for the winter.

The new Bridgestone RE71RS are not flippable due to their asymmetric tread pattern. Never the less, as they wear, I may flip them during their final wear days. My camber is -2.9 f and -2.5 r with a little toe out in front and some toe in in the rear.

I do not skimp on my tire selection as they are the final part of rubber meets the road.

· Registered
1,494 Posts
If you're even a little impressed at the old Yoko's you can be confident in a new set exceeding the current bar. Apex is right, never go cheap on tires but IMO, Yoko isn't a cheap choice. I would rather run Yoko than Firestone or Sumatomo but having said that I'm putting nothing but Michelins on from here on out.

· Registered
2006 CS 6M
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you're even a little impressed at the old Yoko's you can be confident in a new set exceeding the current bar. Apex is right, never go cheap on tires but IMO, Yoko isn't a cheap choice. I would rather run Yoko than Firestone or Sumatomo but having said that I'm putting nothing but Michelins on from here on out.

As purchased, (35k miles, now 37.5 k miles after 2 years) the car had pronounced negative camber due to the lowering springs. Surprisingly, the tires (2013 date codes) showed even wear. Camber was adjusted front & rear as best as possible, still -1 degree greater than spec. Caster & Toe are now to spec. New bump stops, bellows, strut mounts & bearings went in with the "R" springs, new tie rods were also installed. (I'm now at 37.5k miles)
True, AD008R are typically expensive & I'm a big proponent of buying the best tire possible, but for as infrequently as I drive the car and as impressed as I am with the Yokos, plus decent Tire Rack reviews, it's tempting.

· Registered
2,039 Posts
docman- Read carefully the comparison of the Yoko A052 and Bridgestone RE71RS. Summer tires for the street, the Stones would last longer than the A052. With little milage each year, as long as you can afford the initial Tirerack and your Tirerack local install shop, then you would need to be able to use them up in say 5 years. You maybe able to get 10-12000 miles our of the RE71RS, but maybe only 6000 out of A052's. The Advan A052's are softer than the RE71RS. The other tires are not rated as Summer extreme tires by the TireRack, but certainly can give longer performance but not the grip. The question is are you going to drive your car enough to get more than 10,000 before you sell it in the future. Not likely, so spend money now, go drive it hard. Have some camber put back in to the alignment. Say -1.5f and -1.5r. camber and 0 toe f and 12 minutes of toe in in the rear. The outside front tire shoulder wear is the badge of courage as it measure how much front tire roll over you are extracting. Rippled front tire wear almost to the wear stars between the crown of the tire and the shoulder of the sidewall shows good play activity at the right tire pressure.

· Registered
2006 CS 6M
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
docman- Read carefully the comparison of the Yoko A052 and Bridgestone RE71RS. Summer tires for the street, the Stones would last longer than the A052. With little milage each year, as long as you can afford the initial Tirerack and your Tirerack local install shop, then you would need to be able to use them up in say 5 years. You maybe able to get 10-12000 miles our of the RE71RS, but maybe only 6000 out of A052's. The Advan A052's are softer than the RE71RS. The other tires are not rated as Summer extreme tires by the TireRack, but certainly can give longer performance but not the grip. The question is are you going to drive your car enough to get more than 10,000 before you sell it in the future. Not likely, so spend money now, go drive it hard. Have some camber put back in to the alignment. Say -1.5f and -1.5r. camber and 0 toe f and 12 minutes of toe in in the rear. The outside front tire shoulder wear is the badge of courage as it measure how much front tire roll over you are extracting. Rippled front tire wear almost to the wear stars between the crown of the tire and the shoulder of the sidewall shows good play activity at the right tire pressure.
My current camber is -2.3f & -2.1r, that's adjusted as positive as possible without further modification. I looked up RE71RS, & with MI potholes I'm glad I have 18" rims. RE71RS makes 235/40R18 for the front, but I'm not sure what would be a suitable size tire for the rear.
One thing I realized when buying closeout tires is that I'm screwed if I blow out a sidewall (MI potholes) so I should probably pass on the AD08R even though they're affordable.

· Registered
2,039 Posts
docman - My size suggestion is 255/35/18 f and 275/35/18 r. Thats exactly what I am running. I am pretty sure your local shop that has a connection to the tirerack can mount this size on your 8 inch wide front rim and 9 inch wide rear. The RE71RS is a new model for the older RE71R that was discontinued a couple of years ago. Bridgestone just started importing this model in April of 2022. My size became available in August. The Tirerack can pre scrub the tires as a breakin. They will be ready to fly as soon as mounted. I did not know about this service, mine only took a couple of drives to get the rubber soft and sticky. Read the TireRack white paper on their test with the BRZ. I was especially interested in the wet application as this tire came out ahead of the softer A052. The TireRack has these in stock now.

One mod you might be interested in is the WaveTrac ATB LSD. Take a look at their web site and read about how the wave slider transfer torque from the slipping slide to the gripping side. It actually works without causing a lot of understeer. I'm talking about the application of throttle at the apex to the exit of the corner. This LSD is excellent in that it does not totallly lock up as some clutch models do. Instead it allows some rotation deviation between rear tires. so you get maximum torque without mandating wheel slip as the clutch type does on lockup. I've had mine for 3 years now without any issues. It allows me to have a pretty consistant slip angle of 8 degrees without triggering the PSM.

· Registered
119 Posts
Can’t go wrong with Michelins or Contis in most cases, I have had both, but I think the 4S and 4SA//S are the best combo for summer/winter. My 981 came with p-zero tires, but the next set will be 4S. Currently running 4S A/S for the winter months.

· Registered
2,039 Posts
docman - The limiting factor in the front tires selection is that OEM front wheel is 8 inch wide. So the 245/35/18 will be a better match. It works very well with the 275 rear. Especially with a Wavetrac LSD that does add some understeer in front. So the contact patch is larger in front and with the better traction in the rear, makes for a great combo.
If you have both the Michelin PS4S as a winter tire and the Bridgestone RE71RS summer tire, there is no comparison. I have both so in dry and wet conditions, the Stone works best. Only when the rain is enough to create a hydroplane condition, then the Michelin is better, but not until.

· Registered
2,039 Posts
docman - Send us a picture of your new HRE wheels/tires. Hopefully you chose the RE71RS to pair with the new wheels.

· Registered
2006 CS 6M
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
docman - Send us a picture of your new HRE wheels/tires. Hopefully you chose the RE71RS to pair with the new wheels.
My car is currently in hibernation, so upgrades are on the back burner until Spring. The only reason I was looking into new shoes for my Cayman at this time is because I stumbled onto Yokohama Advan's closeout pricing - the identical tires that hooked me, even with 8 years on them. Since I'll probably not go that route, I've got another 5 months to put something together.
Regarding the HRE wheels, I've been in contact with Dave Nussbaum at Wheels Boutique in Miami - HRE's largest dealer in the world. Apparently I need R101 for 18" fitment.
Again, lots of time to decide (thankfully) since the holidays, property & income taxes are due soon.

· Registered
2,039 Posts
I get it. Lets talk next year.

· Registered
2011 Cayman S w/ TPC turbo
374 Posts
If you don't intend to track it or drive it really hard, being in Michigan I'd think you'd want a performance all-season tire. On my previous 2 987s I had Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06. I have a 981 now w/ Michelin PS4S but will switch to the Contis when I need to. I do my hard driving on the track on track tires.

· Registered
2006 CS 6M
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have considered all seasons to extend my driving season. Tire Rack doesn't even recommend storing Summer tires below 40F, let alone driving (my car starts hibernation early). It's just that the suspension setup almost begs for Summer tires. I bought my car after test driving 6 others & was blown away with my car's handling & grip & that was when my Extreme Summer tires were already 8 years old. I'll be the first to admit that the sidewall stiffness telegraphs absolutely everything. Exactly what you want for the track, not so much for the street?!?

· Registered
2,039 Posts
That's what autocross taught me in that you can run these stiff walled tires with substantially less tire pressure. There were many runs with 26 PSI in my old RE71R. I always pumped them back up before leaving the track though. The instrument panel was constantly on telling me I had a flat tire. I tried to turn off the msg, but just had to deal with it. At any rate, my usual pressure was around 30 PSI on the street (just enough psi to keep the flat tire msg off). This gave me a little cushion when hitting ruts or chip seal dips in the road.
The outside temp is really what keeps the car in the garage though. Now with better wet traction from the RE71RS tires, there is less need for another tire, like the Michelin PS4S which does not have stiff side walls.

Reactions: ELCID86

· Registered
2006 CS 6M
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bldn10 - Do you use your Conti DWS year round, switching to PS4S for the track? Granted, TN has milder winters than MI. Still, I can't fathom driving the Cayman through snow, although there are probably those that do. Years back I built up a highly modified Focus ST (daily driver) with dedicated Summer wheels/tires, using ing the factory alloys/all seasons for Winter until I slid into a curb destroying 2 rims. I ran dedicated Winter tires after that. My eventual buyer benefitted by having 3 sets of wheel/tires.

· Registered
2,039 Posts
docman- I would use a front offset of 47 for a 9 inch front wheel and a 36 offset for a 10.5 wide rear wheel. Hope that helps

· Registered
2011 Cayman S w/ TPC turbo
374 Posts
Yes, I ran the Contis year round. But I have separate track wheels and tires. The MPS4s came on my “new” 981.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts