Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last time i took my CS for a ride, i hit a rock and my front left wheel got a cut from inside and is slightly visible from outside as well.

Can apply a rubber patch from inside and cover the cut? Can it disturb the ride stability? Do i have to change the tire?

I have a company fitted Bridgestone Potenza. If i do change the tire, can i use Yokohama instead? Is it good?

PS: My vehicle has only 1800kms on trip. Its a right hand drive.

Please help! :helpme:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Last time i took my CS for a ride, i hit a rock and my front left wheel got a cut from inside and is slightly visible from outside as well.

Can apply a rubber patch from inside and cover the cut? Can it disturb the ride stability? Do i have to change the tire?

I have a company fitted Bridgestone Potenza. If i do change the tire, can i use Yokohama instead? Is it good?

I did something like that 2 weeks ago and took my car to my dealership. My salesman as well as one of the guys from service took a look and drove the car. Said it was not bad enough to replace the tire unless I was tracking the car. Also scratched front and rear wheels. The wheels have already been repaired and look brand new. You would have to know where the scratch was and it even at that it is still hard to find. They did glue down the piece of tire that was torn near the rim and it looks fine as well. So I am happy with the results and feel better knowing it was taken for a test drive and all is good. That being said you should take it to your dealer and have someone give their expert opinion. Knowing they could have sold me a new tire and did not says lots for my dealer. I feel 100% secure that my tire is o.k. Hope that you have the same great service.

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts

If a cut is cosmetic and not adhesion related, maybe it could have a cosmetic repair. But, any pice that can come off and effect handling due to balance or grip should be addressed properly. And the only thing Porsche recommends is replacement.

Regarding a different brand of tire compared to the others, you should have them all the same. Otherwise the PleaseSaveMe electronics may not work correctly at a time when your life may depend on them.

Personally, I would just get a new tire of the correct brand and type.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Replace it. Also, and perhaps it's just the photo, but is the wheel ever so slightly damaged as well?
Rear wheel is perfect!

Guys do i need to change the alloy as well? It's just bent by a few millimeteres.

·
Registered
380 Posts
As others have said, replace the tire.

While the tires dismounted, have the rim repaired. Most times, a minor deviation can be "exorcised" by a good whack with a rubber mallet (by a knowledgeable rim person possibly at the tire shop) that should bring the rim back to its original shape.

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Good thing you had 18" rims. If they were 19" you would for sure need a new rim also. I had a similar experience and now have a bent up 19" Carrera S wheel in the garage. I'm thinking it's an end table in waiting.

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
When you get the tire replaced, it will (should) be balanced on a road force machine. And they will know if the wheel is out of balance. Alloys bend pretty easy. Were it a front tire you would likely feel the effect already.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for the input guys!

I repaired the rim in my factory itself. Actually i made a molded dye for it, and fixed. Now it feels new.

Now i'll buy a new tire as well. Then balance it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts