Tire Noise - Does It Bother You?

• Yes, I'm looking at replacing my wheels with smaller diameter wheels

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are only a couple of little things that I dislike about my 981. One of them is tire noise. I opted for the 20" Carrera S wheels which came equipped with P-Zeros. On the roads in my neck of the woods, I find that the tire noise from this combo is quite annoying.

Most of us won't go to the expense of doing something like getting smaller diameter wheels to correct this but we will all be faced with replacing the tires at some point.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I was excited about my 20" inch Carreras until my street was "repaved" with tar and loose gravel. The noise of the chips being thrown off the wheels was sickening! and picking the stones out of my treads was a joy. Now with my 18" winter wheels it's much less.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Not an issue. The GY F1s might not have the grip but they are smooth and quiet. I wonder if there is a sound test for tires?

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Not an issue with 19-in PSS. The most dominant noises in order are engine, exhaust, tires.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have the 20'' GY F1's. For a performance tire, they're fairly quiet so far (about 5K miles on them). They're not silent when driving on grainy pavement, but there's no constant or pulsating drone on regular surfaces.

I had an '11 Audi TT with 19'' Dunlops (IIRC). The tire noise after 7K miles was very noticeable. By 9K miles it was headache inducing. At 10K miles, I changed them out for hi-perf all-seasons. The OE Dunlops still had plenty of tread left...ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
5,868 Posts
I have 20" wheels/tires. They aren't noisy to me. They make "music". ;)

Seriously though, the Cayman is a Sports Car. It rides a little rough. Sometimes it can be noisy. To me that is part of the fun. And, yes, the Cayman IS my daily driver.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hmmmm.... The Borla drowns out a lot of everything in my car. The only time I hear noise from the tires is when I drop the clutch at 6000 rpm with PSM off!

Reactions: syzdanski

·
Registered
568 Posts
There are only a couple of little things that I dislike about my 981. One of them is tire noise. I opted for the 20" Carrera S wheels which came equipped with P-Zeros. On the roads in my neck of the woods, I find that the tire noise from this combo is quite annoying.

Most of us won't go to the expense of doing something like getting smaller diameter wheels to correct this but we will all be faced with replacing the tires at some point.
I completely agree about the Pirellis. Mine can't wear out soon enough to suit me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
I ran 2 sets of Hankook Ventus V12s. NOISY as h3ll after about 10K miles due to "cupping" on the outer shoulders. Switched to Continental DWs. Only about 7K miles on them, but they seem quieter.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I responded "not an issue" as road roar in the cabin goes with the territory. We have lightweight sports cars with a large contact patch and strut type suspension. To "drive" my point home, the latest Car and Driver long term review update of the C7 Corvette includes this item: We all agree that the Stingray is a noisy place inside, particularly on certain pavement textures. A partition between the passenger and cargo compartments would be a pleasant, albeit perhaps heavy, addition for longer trips.

The 991S is better in this regard than my 987.1 CS (my only point of reference) and the brand of tires did/do not make any difference over time. New tires always improve this 'feature' temporarily but heat cycled tires with some age on them will bring it back. I have tried 19" Michelin PS2's, Goodyear Assymetric, and Michelin Pilot Super Sports along with 20" Pirelli P-Zeroes and Michelin Pilot Super Sports. The PS2's, Assymetrics, and P-Zeroes were N rated and the PSS's were not. I like the Super Sports best but I think the P-Zero is also a pretty good all round tire. Good luck with your choice and post some feedback about your experience (although wait until you have a few thousand miles on the new tires).

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I noticed tire noise is completely due to how rough the road is. Car is quiet on smooth pavement and annoyingly loud on stuff like metal bridges... this happens to all cars.

i do want to try Michelin tires as I have always prefer them. Seems all tires wear down and perform similar in the end though.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Tire noise is an issue for me but we haven't had any issue with out 20" wheels and P-Zeros. Will probably switch tires when they wear out but not for tire noise as the primary reason.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Switched the BS from P-0 to Michelin Super Sports. The MSS are quieter. I'll do the same on the 991 next summer/fall when the current P-0s need replacing. In the Pacific NW we have a lot of "exposed aggregate" road surfaces because studded tires are still legal (sigh) so there are a LOT of noisy road surfaces. Not surprising - the 911 with P-0s is more quiet than the Boxster S was with P-0s...

gordon

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
P zeros 20" on for the first week, now P Sottozero winters on 18". Tire noise not an issue. Coming from a 987.1, the 981 compartment is Lexus quiet. Too quiet.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Running on RE11 tires, and soon moving on to AD08R as my set is due for change. I don't quite see how tire noise is an issue on a sportscar like this. The car isn't exactly meant to be a family car, and there are many noisier things in the car to worry about if noise is of concern.

if anything, the 981 cars are also Lexus-quiet in comparison to 987 cars

1 - 15 of 15 Posts