Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My OEM Pirelli P Rosso's are coming to the end of their lives and due to cost I'm looking at two brands of tires to replace them and want to hear from anyone currently using them on their Porsche (ideally Boxster). I AX about a half dozen or more times a year and track one to two times a year. I'm not out to break any records in either event and concentrate on having fun and learning more about my car and how it handles under each set of driving conditions. The rest is street and highway driving with as much back country twisty I can find. My only complaints about the Pirellis are road noise (to be expected), rough ride (also to be expected) and tread wear (about 10K mi.) and of course price for replacement. I've read all the reviews, specs and etc. on Tire Rack but there are only a handful of reviews by Porsche drivers and only one Boxster so I'm here with hat in hand to find out if anyone uses them and what you think-Sumitomo HTR Z III (Max Performance Summer
Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 (Max Performance Summer
:helpme:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had the Sumitomo HTR Z III on my boxster 987 2007, they are a great set of tires for the price. They performed better than the P-Zeros that they replaced but not quite as good as the Continental ContiSportContact 3 or the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. I am currently trying a new tire the Vredestein ULTRAC SESSANTA (Vredestein) So far its on par with the Sumitomo HTR Z III.

If you drive hard on your tires I would recommend the Sumitomo HTR Z III as they perform very well and are half the price if your going to be replacing your tires yearly.

I was running 295/30ZR18 Sumitomo HTR Z III on turbo twist rims with 22mm spacers on the Boxster 987 2007. I'm currently running the Vredestein ULTRAC SESSANTA at 275/35ZR19 instead of the stock 265/40R19 on a 987.2 Boxster 2009.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dunlop Direnzia Star Specs or Bridgestone RE11 would be better AX tires
Possibly but I'm not just doing AX and the two tires I'm asking about have higher ratings in all performance categories than either of those. You have a spec Boxster that you don't drive on the street so you will most likely want a different tire than I will.:cheers:

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have a set of V12 EVO's on my '09 CS in 245/35/19 and 275/35/19. I really like them a lot for street tires. My initial reaction to them was extremely favorable. They are quiet, rode great even in 19" size, they're inexpensive and have good grip. The first time I really pushed them, I realized they are definitely NOT max performance tires. This isn't too much of a huge deal for me since I have a set of track wheels/tires. If you're trying to balance wear with grip, I'd say they are a pretty good choice. Personally, I don't think I'd be happy with them for AX or track though. I would probably like something more like the Nitto NT05's and sacrifice a little tire life for more grip, but that's just me.

Have you considered the idea of a separate set of wheels/tires for track/AX?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a set of V12 EVO's on my '09 CS in 245/35/19 and 275/35/19. I really like them a lot for street tires. My initial reaction to them was extremely favorable. They are quiet, rode great even in 19" size, they're inexpensive and have good grip. The first time I really pushed them, I realized they are definitely NOT max performance tires. This isn't too much of a huge deal for me since I have a set of track wheels/tires. If you're trying to balance wear with grip, I'd say they are a pretty good choice. Personally, I don't think I'd be happy with them for AX or track though. I would probably like something more like the Nitto NT05's and sacrifice a little tire life for more grip, but that's just me.

Have you considered the idea of a separate set of wheels/tires for track/AX?
ChrisF I would love to have a separate set of wheels and tires but have no garage or storage for them where I live and paying for storage is out of the question, so I need to have a good set of tires that wear decent (I'm not expecting 30K miles when I track and AX but my Pirelli's will have about 10K on them when worn out) handle well enough on AX and track for me to have fun (emphasis on fun as I will never win an event with a Tiptronic street Boxster) and ride a little more comfortably than the Pirellis.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I ran the Sumitomo HTR Z III on my 335i and was impressed with them. Especially when you consider the price. Currently using Bridgestone RE-11 245/265 and it is also a good setup but quite a bit more. The RE-11s have over 8000 miles of street driving and one three day weekend at Mid-Ohio, soon to be two. I will get another set of the Sumitomo HTR Z III and mount them on my spare wheels.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I can't compare the Dunlops or Sumitomos, but I am now on a set of Hankook Ventus V12s that seem to be just fine.

The Car and Driver article on cheap tire comparisons is what sold me on them. They outperformed the PS2 in dry and wet conditions and were quieter as well. In addition, they are available in the correct street sizes for the 18 inch wheels.

And at Discount Tire, they were $650 for all four, TT&L. Roughly half the price of PS2s.

After one DE (another coming soon) I am quite pleased. And that DE was in pouring down rain (real Texas rain, if you know what that means) on one day and dried out the next. 125 mph in driving rain, no drama at all in a straight line. They seemed to grip reasonably well for a street tire in the dry also.

I hope this helps...

- Mark

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't compare the Dunlops or Sumitomos, but I am now on a set of Hankook Ventus V12s that seem to be just fine.

The Car and Driver article on cheap tire comparisons is what sold me on them. They outperformed the PS2 in dry and wet conditions and were quieter as well. In addition, they are available in the correct street sizes for the 18 inch wheels.

And at Discount Tire, they were $650 for all four, TT&L. Roughly half the price of PS2s.

After one DE (another coming soon) I am quite pleased. And that DE was in pouring down rain (real Texas rain, if you know what that means) on one day and dried out the next. 125 mph in driving rain, no drama at all in a straight line. They seemed to grip reasonably well for a street tire in the dry also.

I hope this helps...

- Mark
Thanks Mark, and yes I do know what Texas rain is like, drove a 1965 LandRover all the way across Texas to Miami Fl.:cheers:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Possibly but I'm not just doing AX and the two tires I'm asking about have higher ratings in all performance categories than either of those.
Not in lap times... ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Tires are always a compromise. Personally I would and did buy the Dunlops. They are noisy but that's the compromise I made for the better grip even though I autocross on R tires.

Buy what makes you happy. It's not too important in the grand scheme of things. You do not need us to validate your decision.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tires are always a compromise. Personally I would and did buy the Dunlops. They are noisy but that's the compromise I made for the better grip even though I autocross on R tires.

Buy what makes you happy. It's not too important in the grand scheme of things. You do not need us to validate your decision.
I'm not really looking for validation but knowledge is gained by experience and one of the really positive things about the internet, and these forums, is you can get knowledge that helps in the decision making process from those who have experienced something. Porsche, and Porsche purists such as the PCA site, only recommend an "N" rated tire claiming that you will lose handling and traction characteristics by not buying an "N" rated tire. Porsche drivers experiences with other tires that are not "N" rated bring to light that there are non "N" rated tires that have as good of handling characteristics at less cost than the "N" rated. On Babblers many of the track people have gone to the Dunlops and their experience is valuable to know because on Tire Rack they are not rated as high as either tire I'm inquiring about. It is possible after all the data gathering that I may go with the Dunlops but for right now I want to hear experience with the Hankooks or Sumitomos.:cheers:

·
Registered
490 Posts
I just purchased 19x8 and 19x9.5 Victor Zehn wheels and added Hankook V12's in 235/35 & 275/35 sizes. I'd say the ride is smoother than the Continentals I had in 18's, which was surprising. This is my commuting car (60 miles a day) and most is on the highway. I've been satisfied with my cloverleaf attacks.

The price was right, but unfortunately I have a little vibration in the front between 55-70 mph. I had an aligment done, and front wheels balanced again this morning (which were both slightly off), but slight vibration still exists. I'm not sure if this is due to the tires, as I haven't heard of this issue with the Hankook's before...

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just purchased 19x8 and 19x9.5 Victor Zehn wheels and added Hankook V12's in 235/35 & 275/35 sizes. I'd say the ride is smoother than the Continentals I had in 18's, which was surprising. This is my commuting car (60 miles a day) and most is on the highway. I've been satisfied with my cloverleaf attacks.

The price was right, but unfortunately I have a little vibration in the front between 55-70 mph. I had an aligment done, and front wheels balanced again this morning (which were both slightly off), but slight vibration still exists. I'm not sure if this is due to the tires, as I haven't heard of this issue with the Hankook's before...
Thanks for the input Owen. I also have a slight vibration in the front with my Pirellis at the same speed. I had a lot of vibration until I got a tire balance and alignment but there is still a little there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.