Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to add this to the HDPE thread but decided to start a new one. I am a very experienced driver and one tool I take to every track event is a probe type pyrometer (Not Infrared) . I use this one Longacre Adjustable Replacement Probe Racing-Stable Energies You must take temperatures immediately, when I do it myself I only do the left side (assuming a clockwise track). Measure the temperature at the outside, middle, and inside of the tire. This tells you a lot about your alignment and tire pressure. I run a lot of negative camber so my temps tend to be cooler on the outside and hot on the inside. Ideally you want about the same temperature across the tire. If the center is lower than the outside, you're under-inflated. If higher you over-inflated. Also look at the difference between the front and rear tire. If the fronts are hotter you probably are getting understeer and you might change sway bar settings or maybe adjust F/R pressures. Over many years, regardless of the tire mfg, I have found something in the 35-36 Hot range works. I pick up about 10# from cold to hot which means I'm starting in the 25-25# range cold. This drives your TPMS nuts even in Circuit mode. Do at least two warm-up laps before pushing it. After the first session you should be O.K. I check pressures after every session and usually end up bleeding pressure down as the day heats up. The next morning the tires will likely be back down to the original 25-26 or less.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts