Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My left rear tire is loosing about 3 pounds of air per day. I first noticed it about 6 days ago and have been monitoring it. It one time showed flat. I called Porsche and they said have the tire repaired locally and then bring it in to have the TPMS reset. I called the original Porsche Dealership where I bought the car and they said just take it to a tire shop, have the tire repaired and they should be able to reset the TPMS for you.

I called the place where I will take it in tomorrow and asked them if they could reset the TPMS and when they looked it up the tire rep told me the Cayman had a self reset system on it and all I would need to do is drive it a bit and it will reset itself.

In the manual on page 158 is said changing wheel and replacing tire the tire setting on the computer must be updated after changing a wheel. If the tire setting on the on-board computer must be updated after changing a wheel. If the tire setting are not updated, the message "wheel change? input new TPM setting is displayed on the on-board computer. Update the on-board computer setings when the vehicle is stationary next time.

My question is if they take the wheel off and can do a quick fix, since I think it is just a puncture that can be repaired will I need to take the Cayman in to have it reset? Second question is what is involved in resetting it as I am not very car smart and at age 70 I am not able to move around over and under things like I used to be.

Any information would be helpful. Thanks,
Midnight Shadow

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
You do not say which model Cayman you have, but if it is a 2006-2008 then you should have to do nothing after the tire is fixed. Just drive and the system will go thru a re-set process. Other model years may be the same, or not. If that doesn't work, go thru the setting process in your owner's manual. No need to take the car to a dealer nor to move over or under anything. All is done from the drivers seat.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
I let out air during 3 days of track use a couple of weeks ago, TPMS didn't like that, claimed 8 psi down on rears, despite 30 psi all around when tires cooled down. . Eventually I just inflated all to 34 psi , reset system by choosing sport pressures , drove down my driveway, and all is back to normal. No need for dealer visit.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
tire rep told me the Cayman had a self reset system on it and all I would need to do is drive it a bit and it will reset itself.
I picked up a screw in the right rear and plugged it today. I put 29PSI in the tire and came back five hours later and went for a ten mile test drive. As soon as I turned on the ignition the TPMS said the right rear was down one PSI and lit the warning indictor on the speedo. I drove the car while the warning indicator was still indicating a tire pressure problem on the right rear. After about the sixth mile the warning indcator went out and now everything is back to normal. So what the tire repaair shop said matches what I experienced. I have a 2014 Base Cayman.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You do not say which model Cayman you have, but if it is a 2006-2008 then you should have to do nothing after the tire is fixed. Just drive and the system will go thru a re-set process. Other model years may be the same, or not. If that doesn't work, go thru the setting process in your owner's manual. No need to take the car to a dealer nor to move over or under anything. All is done from the drivers seat.
Sorry for not saying what year or model. I have a Base Model 2011 Cayman.
Midnight Shadow

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I don't know about 2011 model but based on what AJK said about 2006-2008 model behavior, which is the same as 2013+, then your should be the same. The system will self reset. You can force it to relearn by use your PCM to switch to some other tire setting such as winter tires then switch back to what you have. The system will go through the self learning cycle and reset accordingly.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For some reason I didn't have to do anything. When I picked the car up the TPMS was correct immediately. So it didn't even need to reset itself. Funny as I thought for sure it would need to be driven for a few miles before it reset itself but no it was fine when I got in and drove off.

Thanks every one for your help.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Isn't the TPMS sensor like an instant pressure sensor inside the rim at the valve. I have an external sensor on another car and it gives in instant reading when adding air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Isn't the TPMS sensor like an instant pressure sensor inside the rim at the valve. I have an external sensor on another car and it gives in instant reading when adding air.
The TPMS can be giving accurate and proper pressures all around but still you get a warning that rears are down 8 psi.:crazy: Happened to me after letting air out over course of track day.

That is why you need to reset.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
On the two 987s that I had it was necessary to go into the computer and tell the car to reset the TPMS when I changed wheels/tires.

On my 981 I lost pressure in all four tires when I drove up into the mountains and the temperatures dropped drastically. I pulled into a service station and added four pounds of air to each tire. I didn't have to reset anything.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
I have a second set of tires/wheels which do not have TPMS sensors, that I use periodically. I've never had to do any sort of resetting when I swapped the factory tires/wheels back on the car. They car recognizes the factory TPMS sensors typically within a few minutes of driving the car. My car is a 2015 Cayman GTS.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
The tire pressure sensor is incorporated into the valve stem on the wheel. If you repair a tire and put it back on the original wheel, you've not changed anything relative to the car's TPMS - you're still using the same sensor. Due to picking up nails, I've had two different tires on the 981 plugged by an indy tire shop. The TPMS worked as soon as I fired up the engine to leave the tire shop.

If you change the sensors, that's another story... I did that with my X3 - I had separate sets of wheels for summer & winter; each set had it's own sensors. When I changed wheel sets, the X3 popped up a message on the LCD informing that it was searching for the new sensors. It took a minute or two to find them and reset itself. I've never changed wheels/sensors on the 981, but previous post indicated the 981 PCM works the same as my X3.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts