Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would not use the goop on any of the tires for any of my cars. I am sure it will throw off the balance of the wheel.

For years I have carried a plug patch kit in my Porsches and in my workshop at home. I also carry a long nose pliers with wire cutter in the Porsche. The combination of pliers and kit does not take up much space. I have used a plug patch several times on several of my cars including a couple of times on my Porsches. I patch the tire on the car and the inflator which comes with the car can do the job of re-inflating the tire if you are on the road. No further action is needed. Be sure to buy the plug tool with the "T" handle as you need to push hard to get the plug into the hole.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
I would not use the goop on any of the tires for any of my cars. I am sure it will throw off the balance of the wheel.

For years I have carried a plug patch kit in my Porsches and in my workshop at home. I also carry a long nose pliers with wire cutter in the Porsche. The combination of pliers and kit does not take up much space. I have used a plug patch several times on several of my cars including a couple of times on my Porsches. I patch the tire on the car and the inflator which comes with the car can do the job of re-inflating the tire if you are on the road. No further action is needed. Be sure to buy the plug tool with the "T" handle as you need to push hard to get the plug into the hole.
Don't forget to add a blade to the kit to trim the excess plug material.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have looked into this a bit and I have to say couple of things
1 - Our supplied pump is fairly anemic (I have had to use it) but it does work for a straight puncture
2- I do not like the idea of filling the tire with goop (I did not do this as I could keep air in to get home). Porsche does not mind because their recommendation is to replace the tire ASAP anyway.

My plan
1 - buy a Dynaplug kit - especially if you are far from home, I think this is the best chance of success and is a solid repair that should last as long as you want until you can get it repaired.
2 - research and purchase a stronger pump that will still run off your battery or lighter. Look for a higher rate of fill vs what pressure they will go to vs size vs how quickly they will get hot, because once they do, they will turn off, and you have to wait until cooler to resume filling.
You will then have no need for goop or sloppy chemical repairs to get you going again.

At least, that is the plan, and I hope I never need it! I had to use the built-in pump because my tires were shot within a few months (used car+track day!) and began to pickup punctures quickly before I could get a new set installed.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts