Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my car to the Porsche dealer to have a flat tire repaired. Turns out the nail was in the sidewall of the tire so had to buy a new tire. Car has 8,000 miles. All original tires. Replaced the left rear with a new Dunlop which is the same tire that came on the car new. A friend yesterday told me that the new tire might cause a problem with traction control even though car only has 8,000 miles. Any comments? Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Budman. I didn't think there would be a problem. Surely a top notch Porsche dealer wouldn't mount that tire if there was any chance of causing a handling problem or damage to traction control. Thanks again for your reply.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
You might want to check tread depths. If the difference between the new and old tire is more than a few 32nds, you certainly could have issues with traction control. One option is to shave the new tire to the diameter of the worn one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called the Porsche dealer and spoke with the service manager. He tells me that Porsche says if there is 30% or more difference in tread depth they will replace both rear tires. They measured and I didn't have 30% difference. Also, he tells me that if there is a problem the light will come on and stay on. No light. I will also go buy a gauge and take a look myself. Thanks again

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I'd be rare to have less than 30% thread wear on a summer tire with 8K miles, even if you drive like a grandma, so yes, check them yourself;). An additional problem is the new tire will be grippier, since rubber degrades with age, plus the heating cycles, so I'd always replace both. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Oh, and the correct way to determine that 30% is USEFUL tread depth, not total tread depth, since you're not supposed to use the tires past their wear indicator, which typically is 4/32;). Something else to ponder.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks ELP_JC I don't race or track the car so tires look new. I guess I have worn the tire less than 30% according to my Porsche dealer. Talked to them today and they assure me I am OK. Thanks for everybody responses.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.