Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I don't have the tools to dismount my tires(Michelin PS4) or even want to attempt it, is it advisable to rotate the wheels instead? (swapping the fronts and swapping the backs)

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Yep, cant do that or the PSM will freak out. The rolling ratio is different by design between the front/rears as they are different sizes. The rear wheel speed sensors would be reading mush faster than expected due to the smaller front tire on it, and the traction control will think the wheels are slipping and the ABS would try to intervene to stop it

Side to side is pointless because the exact same part of the tread will still be on the pavement as many summer tires are directional or have different inner and outer tread compounds even if not directional, so you cant dismount and flip them around in the rims even if you wanted to without possible traction issues happening.

Its just one the compromises we make with sports cars, and why you can expect to get about half the miles you could if they could be rotated. About 12K is typically for my rears which wear at twice the rate of the fronts, so its every other tire change when all 4 get changed at once

·
Registered
397 Posts
PS4S are not unidirectional, instead they have an inside and and outside. So swapping the left side tires to the right side would not change the wear pattern. The tires would rotate in the opposite direction though.

Many years ago I had a Mustang with Goodyear "Gatorback" unidirectional tires. Dismounting and remounting in the opposite direction was helpful for those tires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts