Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellas,
I'm having trouble finding front tires for my boxster. As you might have guested I have the 17" and I'm trying to match the Michelin Pilot on the rear.
The only place i find the front 205/55/17 is Tire Rack.com. I don;t wanna go thru the hassle of finding a shop to install them and something going wrong because it's not their product.
I spoke with Costco in my area and they told me it might be a different size I could go with(wider or lower) but they'll check.
In the mean time I thought to throw a question here.
The rear tires are almost new, just changed them few months ago..
Thank you in advance

·
Registered
279 Posts
I was in the same boat several months ago. Needed to replace all four but Michelin 205/55/17 were not available anywhere. Tirerack wait for them was several moths. So I gave up and installed Yokohamas all around. Not Michelin but OK and half the price and I do not race or track the car. When the Michelins become available I got a set and now they are sitting in my garage waiting for the Yokohamas to croak.
Mixing brands and sizes is in general not recommended, so Tirerack seems to be your only option. Go for it while they are still available. There is no big demand in this size for 17". I even called the local dealer and they confirmed the problem. Forget Costco. Just pick a reputable tire shop in your area and they will do it.
Good luck!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Don't have any tire recommendations for you, but I've used TireRack for years. I get a huge selection plus can independently take them to a place I trust to mount them on my expensive rims without damage (not sure Costco would be my first choice as an installer). Although I've never done it, you can have the tires shipped directly to the installer. I don't much like people touching my car, so have always just popped the wheels off and taken them in using my wife's SUV. Yeah, I guess that is a bit of a hassle, but somehow satisfying. I went to a slightly different size on my fronts last time I changed tires, but kept the overall diameter (revs per mile) the same. The good people at TireRack called me to make sure I knew what I was doing.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Morde5 and danschy.
Yes, if I wouldn't replaced the rear recently I would have look into getting some 18" wheels but it's too late now.
Thank you for assuring me TireRack is a good company to buy from. Never order tires online so I was a bit nervous about them. I'll do that.
And that idea, danschy, is brilliant, to take the wheels off. I don't like people getting in my car either and putting grease all over my wheel and dash.
Again many thanks guys.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I don;t wanna go thru the hassle of finding a shop to install them and something going wrong because it's not their product.
Not an issue with a good installer. Ask others in your area for recommendations. I prefer using Tire Rack and my local independent (I'm usually getting a precision alignment from them when replacing tires anyway) to one of the chains or other options and have been doing this for at least 10 years. Don't assume that just because a shop sells the tire that you won't have problems with the shop. Jim & others at Tire Rack are very helpful if you have questions. When I was purchasing PSS's for our Boxster their site had a message that their stock was 5 years old and that they didn't have one of the sizes I needed. Jim was able to track down newer stock and an alternate size that was in stock and fit with no issues.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for giving me confidence. I ordered them yesterday after reading your comments from TireRack.com and I just received them. Incredible, next day delivery.. I'll try to find a good installer. If anyone in Orlando, Florida and have recommendation please let me know.I'll have to do an alignment after.
I'm expecting major ride quality as my old tires are almost slick.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have been satisfied with the local installers that TireRack has listed. I believe TR has some skin in the game, and you can easily check independently via your network or Yelp on the installers TR lists. I think it's a better way to start than just asking around because anecdotal recommendations aren't highly reliable.

Reactions: keyframe13
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.