Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I own a 987.2 CS on 19in wheels running Michelin Super Sports in stock sizes. The car is lowered on H&R springs. I have a pretty big tire wear problem. I am going through rear tires in 4,000KM or so, that's about 2,800 miles. I do not track the car.

Tire pressures are at the OE recommended 31/33. I just got the car aligned and it was slightly out of wack. Rear toe is currently sitting at 0.20 when it should be at 0.05. The alignment tech said he couldn't get it any tighter as the HEX bolt wasn't allowing him.

The wear is even, it's not a camber or pressure issue - but it is wearing incredibly fast. These back tires now run 1,000$ CAD a pair when installed, I'd like to get more out of them.

Are aftermarket control arms required for lowered Caymans?

·
Registered
74 Posts
These cars are known to experience excessive rear toe-in when lowered more than about 0.6~0.7 inch because they run out of toe-in adjustment range. My 987.1 is dropped about an inch all around and I had to replace the rear toe links to address this exact situation. Many threads and DIY's on this subject. I used Tarett links (and rear roll bar, too) and very happy with the results.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
if you're not driving aggressively, with a more neutral alignment you should get much more milage.
for MPSS, anecdotal mileage range from 8,000 all the way to 30,000kms.
I do drive somewhat aggressively, but it is street driving and I avoid 1st gear WOT and I'm never any close to cornering limits in the streets. At 1,000$ every 2 months, this is definitely wrong.

These cars are known to experience excessive rear toe-in when lowered more than about 0.6~0.7 inch because they run out of toe-in adjustment range. My 987.1 is dropped about an inch all around and I had to replace the rear toe links to address this exact situation. Many threads and DIY's on this subject. I used Tarett links (and rear roll bar, too) and very happy with the results.
Thank you! Are these the links you are referring to?

LINK: Porsche Rear Toe Control Arm Link, 996, 997, 986 & 987

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yes, those are the link replacements I used. I also included he boots. Its a bit of a pain to hold everything in place when installing, but I expect them to extend the inside bearing's life.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,

I own a 987.2 CS on 19in wheels running Michelin Super Sports in stock sizes. The car is lowered on H&R springs. I have a pretty big tire wear problem. I am going through rear tires in 4,000KM or so, that's about 2,800 miles. I do not track the car.

Tire pressures are at the OE recommended 31/33. I just got the car aligned and it was slightly out of wack. Rear toe is currently sitting at 0.20 when it should be at 0.05. The alignment tech said he couldn't get it any tighter as the HEX bolt wasn't allowing him.

The wear is even, it's not a camber or pressure issue - but it is wearing incredibly fast. These back tires now run 1,000$ CAD a pair when installed, I'd like to get more out of them.

Are aftermarket control arms required for lowered Caymans?
I have almost the exact same set up on a 987.2 Boxster S using 19" wheels/tires and H&R springs. My shop was able to get the rear toe within spec without any other hardware. I am getting about 7,000 miles (~ 11,000 km.) with MPSS. Don't know what it means, but it is another data point.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.