Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping for some guidance on my tire wear patterns. I've been using RE-71Rs for 5 track days (spread out over 5 months). Aside from the track, the tires have driven about 3k miles going to and from the track. At the track, I monitor the tire pressure between sessions, shooting to keep them around 38-40PSI (1-2 PSI higher for the rears). I have not been monitoring temperature. The weather has been mostly hot (90F) but low humidity for these track days. Before I ask my questions, the tires have been great - providing tremendous grip.

The rear tire tread pattern is similar from one side to the other, however the fronts are showing a different wear pattern side to side. I realize this is to be expected but I was hoping if the attached photos appear to be the desired pattern. First the outside edge showing the tire wear marker. The wear pattern doesn't quite reach the marker.
View attachment 202469

The inside edge again showing the wear marker where you can see some of the rubber is melting, again not quite up to the wear marker.
View attachment 202471

So am I over inflating? Is there enough information here to make a determination? Lastly I was considering flipping these tires after my next track event and trying to get another season (5-8 days) out of them - false economy?

Apologies in advance if any of this has already been answered. A quick google search turned up mostly motorcycle treads and not really any indication of tire tread wear. Also thanks in advanced for any advice here.

·
Registered
319 Posts
You didn't mention which car this is for, but for a Cayman the pressure you are running is too high for this tire. I would shoot for 32,33 front,rear hot. In my experience this tire gets greasy when approaching 40PSI. As far as wear, I don't see anything unusual from your photos. Definitely flip the tires when time comes and get more laps out of them!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I agree i shoot for 32 -34 hot for both front and rears, means i go out from 26 to 29 based on temperature and time of the day

·
Registered
810 Posts
Looks like typical wear for RE-71R on camber-challenged cars like ours. Ditto you're running pressures too high. I've found I need to run higher pressures for autocross (37/35 hot) than on the track. I've seen as much as 14psi pressure gain on the track which makes it really difficult to get good pressures, but even starting at 26psi (and TMPS complaining about a flat tire) didn't cause any rollover issues. Too low will lead to accelerated wear on the outside corner, but you're not wearing anywhere near there.

Also, you can drive these tires harder, they shouldn't have that much tread left after 5 track days! :)

·
Registered
34,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input. I drive a 14'BS, PDK, sport suspension, on the 19" wheels. I will definitely lower the pressure and monitor the temperature going forward. And I will definitely push it harder as I have been to the next track a couple of times already so I'm much more prepared.

·
Registered
561 Posts
You didn't mention which car this is for, but for a Cayman the pressure you are running is too high for this tire. I would shoot for 32,33 front,rear hot. In my experience this tire gets greasy when approaching 40PSI. As far as wear, I don't see anything unusual from your photos. Definitely flip the tires when time comes and get more laps out of them!
This +1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just wanted to follow-up to this thread. Spent 1.5 days at Thunderhill 3 mile with PCA-GGR. Track temp was high (97F). I ran 40 laps split over 7 sessions. I ran 32/34PSI and I think it worked well for me. My one complaint was the low tire pressure warning from the car - primarily with both rear tires. Car is not happy unless the PSI is at least 34. Even after the tires warm up the PSI alarm will not go away. These tires - not that I push the car by any means - although I was trying my hardest :) - seemed to be struggling by the last session (could also be simply me being tired) - so I wimped out and missed the last 2 30 minute sessions (I know I will regret this tomorrow). I know I promised to monitor the temperature but it just wasn't practical and I didn't have the right equipement. I was thinking about flipping the tires. I will check them over tomorrow when I swap them out. Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
231 Posts
absolutely flip the tires, i also flip from inside to out side. The tire warning pressure issue is a pita, i just ignore it...system is not smart enough to adjust .....i start out at sometimes 26 and have warnings from that and end up at 33 to 35 and warnings are still there. Ignore on track, i always use a GOOD pressure gauge every time i come off track asap

1 - 11 of 11 Posts