Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '09 Gen 2 Cayman S that I have tracked once so far, aligned only (maxed out front camber). Experience level is advanced for DE's. My thinking for the first round of mods was Pagid track pads, R compounds, GT3 LCA's, track align, LSD. I have ordered the Pagids and will be ordering tires shortly; LCA install shortly thereafter. LSD probably in a couple of months.

My tire wear at the first track day was pretty even, even without significant camber. The question is: should I just track on my street tires until I can get the LCA's on? I am worried about edge wear on a brand new set of R compounds without significant camber in the setup.

Thoughts?

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,645 Posts
I'd wait, a friend corded his Ho0siers in 4 20 min sessions with max stock camber.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have an '09 Gen 2 Cayman S that I have tracked once so far, aligned only (maxed out front camber). Experience level is advanced for DE's. My thinking for the first round of mods was Pagid track pads, R compounds, GT3 LCA's, track align, LSD. I have ordered the Pagids and will be ordering tires shortly; LCA install shortly thereafter. LSD probably in a couple of months.

My tire wear at the first track day was pretty even, even without significant camber. The question is: should I just track on my street tires until I can get the LCA's on? I am worried about edge wear on a brand new set of R compounds without significant camber in the setup.

Thoughts?
If you got even wear on street tires you should be fine on R compounds. Just don't overdrive the car (induce a ton of push) entering corners. With stock suspension that means trail braking some corners and scrubbing off a touch more speed before corner entry. That is the faster way anyway. The fact that your street tires held up well probably means you are already doing it right. The R compounds have stiffer side walls than street tires and should hold up just fine. I assume you have been on R compounds before with another car.
Have fun!:cheers:
Tom

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the even wear was due in part to a few of factors:

1. it was a higher speed and not highly technical track;
2. stock brakes/pads (which I was afraid to fade);
3. first track day in new car so I was taking it easy and trying to feel out the car

It was my first time on street tires in probably 3 years so yes I am used to R comps. I'm trying to get the LCA's done first but will take it a little easier on the R's if I run them.

Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
If you are enjoying the street tires than stick with them.

However, you can always flip the R-compounds on the rims if you start to get uneven wear; that's what I do if I can't get enough negative camber in a car.

Personally, if I went with Pagids, I'd go with R-compounds.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, much prefer R's...just worried about killing them pre-LCA install. The lack of grip made me sad :D

·
Caymudgeon
705 Posts
My opinion: Get the LCAs and then start fresh with the r-comp's. If you start driving hard on r-comp's with only max stock camber, you will burn thru them in a hurry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts