Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tirerack's review of the latest crop of extreme performance summer tires was just released and may be of interest to Porsche owners considering they're another performance level above OE tires and the ever popular MPSS and MPS4S. The tests were done on the same car and same course, but on different days, so there is some chance for weather conditions to have impacted the numbers, but you can compare the reviews if you're tire shopping.

Extreme Performance Tire Review: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=226
Maximum Performance Tire Review: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=223

Just don't buy the stickiest tire you can and them come back in six months whining about tire noise and tread life... this is a Porsche forum, remember, the Mercedes and BMW forums are elsewhere. ;)

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pirelli is the oldest of either test, too; technology is changing QUICK! Jim may be able to lend some more insight as I think he participates in some of their testing, but a lot of the numbers of the Extreme Performance tires seem to be well within the margin of error for the tests and it's tough to draw concrete conclusions. Grassroots Motorsports' testing had slightly different results, but GRM tested on lightweight cars with optimal camber and tweaked tire pressure and temperature for each tire. It's interesting to bracket those tests with TireRack's heavy camber-challenged BMWs which use OE alignment and whatever OE cold pressure was recommended. Real-world performance for our Porsches is probably going to be somewhere in between GRM and TR results.

The new crop all look like very good tires and it really seems the best tire for a given day is going to change depending on particular conditions and application.

·
Registered
580 Posts
This test reinforces my own seat of the pants experience over the last year. Lots of good choices in extreme performance (AX/DE quality) but if lap times matter, RE-71r is still a keeper.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Always go Michelin. Superior chemistry. It costs a little more but you get it back in tire life. They engineer for the widest temperature range and it works in the wet. Can't ask for much more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Always go Michelin. Superior chemistry. It costs a little more but you get it back in tire life. They engineer for the widest temperature range and it works in the wet. Can't ask for much more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Did you click the links? MP4S was slower than all four of the extreme performance tires they tested (BF Goodrich Rival S, Bridgestone RE-71R, Hankook R-S4, and Nexen SUR4G) in everything but heavy wet conditions where the RE-71R was still very nearly as fast. Other anecdotal track tests have shown the Sport Cup 2 is slower than the latest top extreme performance tires, too. MP4S a great summer tire for luxury performance cars, but gives up quite a bit of dry grip compared to the top-tier performance street tires to do it. It's not just the quality of the engineers and chemists (Michelin owns BFG, maker of the RivalS), but the decisions and compromises they make when they design these tires to do a myriad of mutually exclusive tasks. There are some great engineers and chemists at the other tire companies, too, as the data attests. Continental just bought Hoosier, so expect some more great tires from them, too.

Some of the differences are subjective- I happen to prefer a confident-feeling stiffer tire and hate squishy soft-wall tires, but others (who probably shouldn't own Porsches) buy Porsches and complain the ride is too harsh and force Porsche to sell lesser cars than they should. Those people would probably hate RE-71R, or complain about road noises I don't even notice. But some compromises/differences are quite important: the extreme performance tires all stop 50-0 up to 6' sooner than MP4S.... which could very well be the difference between an oh sh!t and an OH SH!T. A few % difference in maximum cornering force could be the only thing keeping you out of a ditch/tree when you hit that corner just a wee bit too fast. But MP4S will probably last 50% longer because the soft compound the other tires selected to get that extra grip wears faster, too. Don't get me wrong, MP4S is a great tire, but it's not the pinnacle Michelin fan-boys make it out to be.

·
Registered
229 Posts
This test reinforces my own seat of the pants experience over the last year. Lots of good choices in extreme performance (AX/DE quality) but if lap times matter, RE-71r is still a keeper.
I agree 100 %, the RE 71's are a great tire and last as long as my Nitto's did. Could not get Nitto NT 01 in my size but the RE 71 i think may be a better tire

Dennis

·
Registered
197 Posts
My experience is that the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s is great every day tire that you can autocross and not be embarrassed by the cheater tires. I'm now at something over 7K miles, including 11 days of autocross, on the 4s tires versus someone I know that runs the RE-71R tires that had to replace them at 5K miles. Most would be happy with my results (1 first, 2 seconds, a third, and 4 fourths) in B Street which locally has 6 to 9 competitors at each event. My results have gotten better as the season progressed and I gained confidence in the tires.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Did you click the links? MP4S was slower than all four of the extreme performance tires they tested (BF Goodrich Rival S, Bridgestone RE-71R, Hankook R-S4, and Nexen SUR4G) in everything but heavy wet conditions where the RE-71R was still very nearly as fast. Other anecdotal track tests have shown the Sport Cup 2 is slower than the latest top extreme performance tires, too. MP4S a great summer tire for luxury performance cars, but gives up quite a bit of dry grip compared to the top-tier performance street tires to do it. It's not just the quality of the engineers and chemists (Michelin owns BFG, maker of the RivalS), but the decisions and compromises they make when they design these tires to do a myriad of mutually exclusive tasks. There are some great engineers and chemists at the other tire companies, too, as the data attests. Continental just bought Hoosier, so expect some more great tires from them, too.

Some of the differences are subjective- I happen to prefer a confident-feeling stiffer tire and hate squishy soft-wall tires, but others (who probably shouldn't own Porsches) buy Porsches and complain the ride is too harsh and force Porsche to sell lesser cars than they should. Those people would probably hate RE-71R, or complain about road noises I don't even notice. But some compromises/differences are quite important: the extreme performance tires all stop 50-0 up to 6' sooner than MP4S.... which could very well be the difference between an oh sh!t and an OH SH!T. A few % difference in maximum cornering force could be the only thing keeping you out of a ditch/tree when you hit that corner just a wee bit too fast. But MP4S will probably last 50% longer because the soft compound the other tires selected to get that extra grip wears faster, too. Don't get me wrong, MP4S is a great tire, but it's not the pinnacle Michelin fan-boys make it out to be.
You sound like a Camaro person. "Dis faster for cheeper"

MP4S is a street tire. It isn't supposed to be faster. Michelin Cup 2 is a superior chemistry and life and predictability. It's going to be very car dependent. Set it up with -2.5 camber and heat it up to 170F and it will be great. If you are worried about speed still, get slicks.

A tire is supposed to be predictable and comfortable. You're looking at a small amount of incomplete data and missing the brilliant compromises Michelin makes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
786 Posts
I did drive both of the test. In the Extreme Performance test the RE71R was clearly the best even in the seat of the pants. You just had more confidence. In the Max performance the Pilot 4S was the best but the Conti was close. I don't think you can go wrong with either of those tires. For aggressive street all of the Max Performance tires would work well. While the Max Performance tires can be used on the track they are not designed for it. for an occasional track day not driving at 10/10 they will be fine.
If I can help let me know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.