Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The tire situation here is rather messed up.

I'm currently on N rated PS2s which will need changing very soon especially the rears. As I'm on 18s, PS4S is out and they don;t have Pilot Super Sports here anymore.

My car is out of warranty so N spec is not a requirement for me. Which tire options would be better than the PS2s now Michelin or not? The PS4 (not PS4S) are available here. Are these better than PS2s which are vey long in the tooth?

No tracking, some spirited driving and very occasional B road driving. Summer tires but with good wet handling as it pours here sometimes.

Thanks.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Don't know where "here" is - even if it's rather messed up.

Are you looking for a 100% summer performance tire? All season? (Don't laugh, there are several now ultra-high-performance that are fine for everything but dedicated track duty..) N spec is never a requirement for me.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't know where "here" is - even if it's rather messed up.

Are you looking for a 100% summer performance tire? All season? (Don't laugh, there are several now ultra-high-performance that are fine for everything but dedicated track duty..) N spec is never a requirement for me.
I'm on PS2 now and we pretty much have summer all round but when it rains here, it pours so wet handling is very important for me as well.

No tracking, some spirited driving and very occasional B road driving.

Thanks.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4S doesnt come in 18.

How will you rate the Conti ECS compared to the PS4S or the PS2 if you've run that before pls

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm just north of you. October monsoon is crazy and pours all the time Lolz.

I've been using Conti SportContact3 for the last 8 months and they work very well in the rain. Loads of grip and highly recommended, still going strong after 12,000 kms and this is my daily driver - a 987.1

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm just north of you. October monsoon is crazy and pours all the time Lolz.

I've been using Conti SportContact3 for the last 8 months and they work very well in the rain. Loads of grip and highly recommended, still going strong after 12,000 kms and this is my daily driver - a 987.1
Hi Spider,

Thanks for chiming in. YEs, you are very familiar with our rain. Will look up the CSC3. Have you run PS2s before? If so, how do these compare grip wise dry and wet, noise and wear?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
When I got my Spyder I ordered Bridgestone RE-71R's in 255/35-18 & 285/30-18 for use in autocross
They served me well for 4 years and would got me to the spring with only one more ax left in December but when I had the 4 year service done the Porsche dealer insisted they were bald and had to be replaced.
I got the Michelin PS4S on the same sizes and deleted the 7mm & 15mm spacers as they would no longer balance.
The BS's and PS4S were the same price so I'll see how they are at the Daytona ax this Saturday. I doubt they will match the Bridgestone's in ax but will be better on the street.
Down side to these tires is the car has only 3.25" vs 5.25 with the stock 20" PZ4's ground clearance and hit everything.

·
Registered
322 Posts
PS4S would be your best choice for summer driving. And they are great in the wet too. Can't you order them from US or somewhere else they are available?
Bridgestone RE71R is an excellent summer tire as well, but its noisy at highway speeds and really is best suited for track driving.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the Contis. Great tire. Excellent water shedding. It would be near reckless to break it loose on the street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
PS4S would be your best choice for summer driving. And they are great in the wet too. Can't you order them from US or somewhere else they are available?
Bridgestone RE71R is an excellent summer tire as well, but its noisy at highway speeds and really is best suited for track driving.
I would agree the BS are noisey, my originally installed 20" Pirelli PZ4's are worst noise wise but a surprisingly good tire, much better than prior Pirelli's I got with my 986.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi,

they don't make ps4s in 18s and I've decided to stick on 18s especially since I'm toying around with the M030 springs.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Serious
They do - 235/40 and 265/40 (or 255/40 if you want narrower, though I don't know why you would). Unless you have to have N Spec. . . .
Serious? I called my local Michelin dealer and they said no. If Michelin has started making these in 18s for the USA, I'm sure its a matter of (short I hope) time before it comes to my shores. If so, I'll hold out for a while. I reckon my rears have maybe 3 months left based on my monthly usage.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Woohoo..

PS4s in 18s. Thanks for the headsup olegd and colnago!

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
I just put PS4S 18 on my Spyder to replace the RE-71's so they very much do make 18

Nice street tire but just did autocross Saturday with them and grip not what I'm use to in either BS RE-71R or PZ4 Pirelli
It wasn't a course I'd ever seen before and didn't get to walk it.
Lost the rear twice even with 295/30's
I'll give them another autocross chance since I don't feel like changing back to stock PZ4's again and will be doing a lot of street driving anyway.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just put PS4S 18 on my Spyder to replace the RE-71's so they very much do make 18

Nice street tire but just did autocross Saturday with them and grip not what I'm use to in either BS RE-71R or PZ4 Pirelli
It wasn't a course I'd ever seen before and didn't get to walk it.
Lost the rear twice even with 295/30's
I'll give them another autocross chance since I don't feel like changing back to stock PZ4's again and will be doing a lot of street driving anyway.
Yes... so I just discovered they do come in 18s. Its just my local Michelin only has them in 19 and 20s. I've inquired to see when they are bringing 18s.

Thanks again for the feedback.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts