Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! It's getting to be new tire time; the 18" PS2s are wearing thin at 24K.

I thought that I'd check around for tire brands and see if anyone has any inputs. My baselines:

-Driving style: Street only so far, maybe a DE in the future
-Seasons (DC Area): All year if no snow on the road
-No TPMS (thank goodness - I don't like that system)
-18 in stock sizes OK with me.
- I prefer tires that can be moved from side to side - non-unidirectionals. May be crazy but this seems to extend life a bit.

Choices include:

- PS2s: Gold standard for OEM tires, N-rated, but they ain't cheap! $1200+ plus from Tire Rack and that does not include mount and balance.

- Bridgestone R-11: OEM, N-rated, $1060 at TR

- Yokahama ADVAN Neova AD08. Sounds like a high blood pressure medicine. $1026

- Bridgestone RE050A: What is the difference between these and the RE-11?
$996

- Bridgestone RE050A Pole Position: ??? $1004, same question as above

- Conti Sport Contact 3's - No experience but heard not as good as Michelins. $1016

- Conti ExtremeContact DW: Came out OK in a recent tire test, but....$828. Getting cheaper.

- Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric: I have never had any luck whatsoever with Goodyear. On sale for $862

- Hankooks - Ventus V12. Lots of them around at a cheap price = are they 1/2 as good as $1200 tires? $610

- Kumho Ecsta LE Sport. I had Kumhos on a 944 years ago, they flatspotted every day. $770

- Pirelli Pzeros. Ever since I bought some Pirelli's and one split open (complete failure of the carcass) less than 50 miles into the tire's life, I will never buy Pirellis again. Probably made in the same factory as Michelins but I don't care.
$1280

- Sumitomo HTRZIII - El Cheapo. $582 - can they be that bad?

- General UHP. Sooner or later I will not own General. But cheap at $584

- B'stone RE960 All seasons. No experience. $884

- Conti ExtremeContact DWS. Rated pretty well on some magazine tests. How much do you give up with an all season HP tire? $742

- Eagle F1 All Season. See above. $784

- Yoko Advan S4. Had something like this on a 944. Were OK but wore out fast from what I recall. $764

·
Registered
282 Posts
I actually hope you get some good replies to this question. It is one we all struggle with and would be good to hear from some experts on this. My 2007 2.7 is on its 3rd set of PS2s (4 weekends of Porsche Sport Driving schools, a day at "Spa," autobahn driving, and some "Ring" laps tend to eat up your tires!). Will probably need new ones by the end of the summer, so will follow this closely!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
RE-11s are "Extreme Performance" making them sticky - vastly more so than years-old PS2s, and more so than RE-050s. They likely will wear faster than any of the others you mentioned. The treadwear rating number can give you some idea of the relative grip and wear properties of tires, although it is not a rigid standard rating, so numbers may not be directly comparable between manufacturers.

RE-11s are great for the track, though - sticky, predictable, understeer mildly with stock suspension settings. I love mine, but I really doubt they will last 24K miles.

HTR ZIIIs seem like a nice street choice, as reports are that they ride a bit better than PS2s, and they are cheap. I almost bought some for street, and probably will when I get a second set of wheels.

OEM models will likely offer few unpleasant surprises. I would think All-seasons will pulverize pretty quickly at the track, and generally reduce the quality of the driving experience on the street. Personally, I would never run all season tires on a sports car.

There are many threads here on tires - happy searching!

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
997 Posts
I have 1100 miles on my Hankook Ventus V12's purchased in May. You can visit my garage to read up on my experiences with purchase/installation, but needless to say I am pleased.

Planet-9 - VB Pro Garage

A Car and Driver review ranked them 2nd out of 10 tires that are less expensive but are alternatives to the PS2. The 'Kooks were rated almost as good as PS2's in dry weather, and they kicked the PS2's arse in wet weather. The Hankooks are not N-rated but la-de-da since I don't drive 160 mph on the Autobahn every day.

Now that I've broken them in and I've settled on the tire pressures, I cannot find a single fault with them. They are quiet, the car has gobs of grip, gathers speed more smoothly, the ride is firm but does not cause my fillings to become loose. and the steering works just as well as it did before.

Of note is I had 17" wheels with my original PS2's. The steering with the smaller wheels is supposedly lighter and more precise, and it is supposed to ride softer but still with good handling. But when I upsized the wheels to 18" S wheels along with getting the Hankook's, I notice no tradeoff, and the grip on spiral freeway entrance ramps (combined with the flat cornering) makes me break out into a goofy grin when I see the poor minivans in my rear view mirror disappearing into insects.

All for almost exactly half the price of the hallowed PS2. On top of it all, until June 1 they were giving $50 rebates.

UPDATE: Rebates now going till June 30.

:dance:

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
That's a nice, virtually comprehensive list. The PS2s are pretty much the gold standard when it comes to tire discussion. Great tires, but as you mentioned, pricey.

My 09 CS came with ContiSportContact 3s and they are decent, but subjectively I feel they are slightly noisier than the PS2s.

I recall reading rave reviews for the Bridgestone RE050 (non Pole Position) tires in the forum a while back. You might want to take a look at those.

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
Do not use any of those tires below 40 F. They become hard and slippery!

Didn't the PS2 felt that way?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Low temps would be a good reason to run A/S tires. So, the answer is A/S for winter and RE-11s or another sticky set for summer.

I wanted something that will wear faster, as my PS2s gave up their grip way before they wore out, so I went with the RE-11s. If all goes perfectly, I'll just detect a start of grip loss when the tread is gone. If you have two sets of tires (one for winter) then I think you are more likely to hit this convergence of wear and grip loss right on with a set of stickies, especially if there is track use involved.

·
Registered
992 Posts
- Hankooks - Ventus V12. Lots of them around at a cheap price = are they 1/2 as good as $1200 tires? $610
Absolutely. I tend to run through rears *very* quickly, and have been impressed with my V12's so far. As noted before, during cold weather, these do not hook up very well. Besides that, they offer impressive grip during the daytime. No rain experience.

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
I voted with my $. I decided to buy the Hankook Ventus V12. I can't add anything to how they work sice they will go on the car next week.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Like most of us, the OP is probably asking a little too much. You can't have it all but you CAN have a good compromise. The suggestion of all seasons for the Winter and Summer tires for the warm season certainly makes the most sense but the OP didn't give any indication that he/she was willing to make that kind of investment. I sense a desire to be as economical as possible. If that is the case then I urge you to seriously consider the Hankooks. I recently had a set drop shipped to a local shop. I used the money I saved to have them mounted and balanced AND I was able to get a spec alignment and a nitrogen fill. All for less than the price of a new set of drop shipped PS2s.

Haven't had a chance to put on many miles but so far I think they are actually quieter than my old PS2s. The steering SEEMS smoother and I don't note a harsher ride.

BTW according to the computer I am getting an improvemnt of 1.5 MPG. Is that the tires, the nitrogen, both or margin of error? Who cares, it can't be bad!

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'm really likin' my Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics. They're quiet on the road and have pretty good traction for a street tire. I had some fun in the mountains, and the tires performed well.

·
Registered
239 Posts
BTW according to the computer I am getting an improvemnt of 1.5 MPG. Is that the tires, the nitrogen, both or margin of error? Who cares, it can't be bad!
The improved mileage is good news, but it is absolutely NOT due to nitrogen fill. Not to start the nitrofill debate again, but changing from 78% nitrogen to around 93% nitrogen in your STREET tires will not change a damn thing. There are many other threads on that subject here, so I'll drop that now.

New tires, in my experience, always feel smoother than worn out tires. It is an added bonus of new tires, I guess. In the last couple months, a few folks have posted favorable reviews of the Hankooks. Maybe they are overtaking the HTR ZIIIs as the bargain tire of choice?

Do any of these tires have a treadwear guarantee? I don't think any do from the manufacturer, but there might be a retailer that offers that as a "certificate." Could be a consideration.

N-spec means "Porsche approved" and has nothing to do with speed rating or standards. It just means the Porsche has somehow approved them for use or compatibilitiy on Porsche vehicles. In another thread, someone posted that tire makers pay Porsche a royalty for this approval. Whatever the case, it is not an issue in and of itself. N-spec tires will all likely perform quite closely overall, and offer generally similar characteristics when fitted as OEM. Non-N-spec tires would be a question, although I find that the RE-11s (non-N) feel generally similar to the PS2s (N-spec,) but with more grip.

I have always found that the joy of (proper) new rubber instantly erases the pain of the purchase.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I've used Nitto NT-05 (not on your list I know), Ventus V12 and also the Advan AD08s. Here is my experience (albeit limited).

Ventus V12 - Least amount of grip compared to the other two tires. Longer lasting. Was great for daily driving, but least competitive at a/x. Didn't try it out on a track. Another friend also complained about the lack of grip after using up his set of Kumho Ecstas.

Nitto NT-05 - Much better grip. I did one autocross and 2 track days. Halfway through my second track day, the rear tires were bald! Great grip for spirited daily driving though. 3 of us bought these tires at the same time. Everyone has complained about longevity.

Advan AD08 - Best grip so far. I've done 4 track days (2 @ WSIR and 2 ACSW) and the tires still look new. Well worth the cost if its within your budget.

Of course, this is only my personal experience. It may differ for others.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Based on your criteria of driving year-round in DC (except snow) you can rule out everything that's not an All Season tire. Here's why - Summer tires get really hard in the cold (less than 40 degrees F) In freezing rain they are deadly. Your PS2s really lasted a long time at 24K (most people are lucky to get 12K out of them). I suspect that the reason they lasted so long was exposure to cold temps that hardened the rubber. This effectively increased their treadwear rating at the expense of grip.

Don't forget about comfort when picking a street tire. Lots of the more aggressive street tires are noisy (Advan AD08-9, Dunlop Direzza Speedstars, etc.). What I recommend you do is go to TireRack.com and read tire reviews for high performance All Season tires.

Here, I have done the hard work for you http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...40&rearDiameter=18&rearSortCode=54350&tab=All

·
Registered
732 Posts
Just a side note..
A while back I got a pair of 18" PS2"s from my local Porsche dealer. They were only about 5.00 more per tire than tire rack & no freight. Also the dealer charges 15.00 more for mount & balance if you provide the tires. Their regular price is 35.00 per wheel.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've used the Sumitomo HTRZIII and found them to be excellent street tires. They were great handling, on par with the PS2 they replaced, low road noise and wore better. The PS2s I replaced at 11k and I still had the Sumitomo HTRZIII 15k later and in good condition. I didn't have the chance to track the tires but they performed great in spirited street driving.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
+1 on GY F1 Aymetrics

The equal to PS2's in everything, save, resistance to flat spotting when cold and price. They will function nicely at a DE if you keep pressures under 40psi.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Have owned the RE050's, PS2's, v12's and NT-01's (track only). My suggestion based on criteria would be the V12 EVOS. They are a fantastic compromise. If you end up loving DE's you'll probably buy another set of wheels and tires anyways. I love mine.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts