Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
that's pretty much it, I have a set of pirelli P-zero tires manufactured in the 13th week of 2003. Are these too old / hard to run safely? I was hoping to use them for DE days but that's not where I want to wonder about my tires.

thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
that's pretty much it, I have a set of pirelli P-zero tires manufactured in the 13th week of 2003. Are these too old / hard to run safely? I was hoping to use them for DE days but that's not where I want to wonder about my tires.

thoughts?
This is what the manual says: Note: Under no circumstances should tires older than 6 years be used on your Porsche.

You might also want to read this article on Tire Rack: Tire Tech Information - Tire Aging – Part #1

Personally, I would be a bit nervous about mounting 7 year old tires as my DE/track tires.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
The rubber has probably hardened some by now, and thus won't offer the grip it once did.

On the other hand, an old-timer recently returned to AX with us 3 weeks ago with 23-year old 008R tires still on his old Colt. He took the win in HS, but said afterward that he thought new tires might be helpful.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Even discounting any potential danger, they probably won't offer satisfactory grip for track work.

I wouldn't run them, due to age.

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have ordered up 2 new fronts to match the new rears I just picked up.

thanks folks !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.