Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

Tires on GT4

14K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  Augie 
#1 ·
I just heard that Porsche is using the Dunlop Sport Maxx Race tires and are the only tires option. I was under the impression that the Cayman GT4 were going to use the Michelin Sport Cup 2 tires. Any reason for the change? Were the MSC2 tires too stiff for everyday driving? The GT3RS, Shelby GT350R and Z06 Vet using the MSC2 tires.

#3 ·
thanks for the reply back. I'm trying to better understand if there is a choice to select a specific tire. The following is the feedback from my Porsche Sales Person. Is there another way to definitely find out if we have a choice of tire ?

It appears that Porsche does not give any options for different tires, the Dunlop Sport Maxx Race are the only tires option I am able to see. From my research on these tires they are a great high end performance tire that’s meant to give a similar track performance to the Michelin Sport Cup 2 but with a little more street usability so I imagine that is why Porsche chose to go with this tire for the GT4. They probably feel that owners of the GT4 will spend more time using their vehicle on the streets than GT3 RS and 918 owners.

#4 ·
Historically PAG chooses from a small number of N spec tires from different manufacturers and the customer does not get any say in which. Recent GT cars have been either the Dunlop Sport Max Race or Mich Pilot Sport Cups, both are DOT R tires. The speculation from the sales person does not sound correct to me. Either tire is a compromise and street grip will be very good in warm, dry conditions and less so in cool and/or wet. If you track the car then you'll get to make your own choice pretty soon!

#5 ·
I'm pretty sure most of the delivered cars (early production) came with Cup2s. Mine was an October delivery and it came with Cup2s. If more recent cars are arriving with Dunlops then that's what the factory is putting on now. Even GT3s came with different tires new (some with Dunlop, others with Cup2s.) I get the impression Porsche thinks either tire is acceptable for their GT (non-RS) series. My friend with a 991 GT3 and Dunlops found them to be good on road and track, but they didn't last long. He went with PZeros for more street driveability. Others I know go to Michelin SuperSports for more street usability (and they are $500 less than Cup2s). I plan on trying SS at some point, but so far the Cup2s aren't so bad in the cold (but dry) weather I'm experiencing. Not that I'm pushing the car at all.
Since you don't want any of these tires to last more than 10000 miles anyway (how boring is that!) I don't think it matters all that much, except if you're a real track rat, and then you'll be putting 997 GT3 brakes on the front and running 18" wheels...

#8 ·
Some tests show the Maxx is quicker than MPSC2 at the track.
Maxx is a really good tyre for the street.
Maxx has a tread wear of 80 and MPSC2 is 180. However that means nothing cross comparing...

#9 ·
my GT4 has the Dunlops and was able to push hard, at Nola Motorsports Park Max G was 1.35 and around a 2:03 lap, first DE with car.
but i have driven a 991 with Cup2's and i would say its all about the age of the tire that track day, i alway ask my supplier to find the 4 new tires, by build date code. if not drop ship from Michelin, bc its so hard to find a 305 Cup2 in 19's.
IF you track it, just keep buying tires like water. 2sec. for a new set, $1000 per sec. is the cheapest you can find...

Cant Wait to see the new GT4 Club car's Times at Nola Motorsports in a Few Months.
anyone put slicks on yet? that should be the real question, ha

#11 ·
Out of more than 10 GT4s, we had only 1 with dunlops (delivered between May and December). Since then, 2 of us have converted to dunlops after killing the cups at the track. I just had mine installed, but a friend who had them installed a while back said their life is much much shorter than the cup2. He also proved that the dunlops are quicker on the track.

#13 ·
My car was completed in July and came with Dunlop Sport Maxx Race. I initially objected and asked for the more popular Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s. Porsche said they use specified equipment tires. And, Dunlop tires are specified equipment. Ok so its Dunlops for me. My SA kindly pointed out that if I did not like them, it would not be long before I'd need to replace them - so I could put on the Cup2s next.

I really began to like the Dunlops and will give a complete report on the Cup 2s after the next track event. But, here are my initial observations.

The Dunlops On the track were nearly perfect. They heat up quick and really grip. I truly had no idea how much tires affect the ultimate performance of a car, and I found the Dunlops were the single biggest difference I found between a GT4 and a Cayman S/GTS. Tires matter big time.

I'm finding the brand new Cup 2s a little harder feeling on the street. Especially when cool, the first few bumps really get your attention. However, they ride softer after they heat up a bit. A noticeable difference going over the same bump 5 miles later. I did not find that characteristics with the Dunlops - which I found to be mostly smooth most of the time.

Wet traction between the two are the same - pretty grippy in the rain / both terrible over puddles.

I changed the Dunlops at 3,700 miles / 4 track days. They had about 33% life left in them, but made the early change to avoid any issues at next track day and will keep the tires as emergency spares. The fronts were unevenly worn, while the rears look perfect. I purchased the Cup 2s - fronts from Tire Rack who had them in stock and will ship to you tax free. The rears are only available through a Porsche dealer and I paid a very slight premium over the Tire Rack price, plus tax. They were professionally installed by local P dealer for $60 per tire.

Net Track performance difference between the Dunlops and the Michelin have not yet been test, but will report back in a couple of weeks.

I am hoping the Cup 2s will last a little longer, but as was pointed out - it will not be long until I learn exactly how long they will last!

The true measure will not be which tires came with the car, or what you replaced them with, but which brand you will choose for your 3rd set! :)

#14 ·
I have the Dunlop Sport Maxx Race on my GT4. I ran them in an autocross last weekend for the first time. Weather was 45-50 degrees and partly cloudy and the AX was short, only about 30 seconds. I was surprised how little grip these track tires have when cold. The front tires never felt warm to the touch and the back tires got a little warm, but never hot. My Cayman with Super Sports has much better cool weather grip when cold. I'm sure that this summer when the tires can get hot, these track tires will be great, but they do need some heat to perform. I have never used the cup 2s so I don't know how they perform in the cold but I would guess that they are similar to the Sport Maxx Race.

#16 ·
I run the Perelli Trofeo R's on the street on 20in wheels. They grip like stink but are bad when it rains enough to have standing water. Frankly Bridgestone RE-71R's are a better choice if you live anywhere there is a lot of rain. I once ran the Perelli's at a rainy AX and not only could I not get any heat into them but, combined with standing water, it made for slow times. I'd have run the RE71-R's but didn't have time to mount them on my only set of 20in wheels.

For the track I have 2 sets of Hoosier R7's and a set of RE71-R's (for rain) on 19in wheels. I have run neither the Dunlops nor the Michelins so can't report on them. The track RE71-R's are both heat cycled and shaved.

#19 ·
Interesting
Never heard anything about these Pirelli; know they exist but never seen anyone using them.
I have PZ4 that came on car (OK but noisy to point you can't hear radio on I75) and RE-71R which I autocross with and love. Before them best tires I ever used for street and AX were the Michelin PSS.
Hoosiers aren't worth the money and don't last.
Dunlap's don't heat up fast enough to work in autocross.
Tire Rack shows Michelin S4S fast and highly rated plus better than PSS.
Not sure yet what I will get for AX next year as Bridgestone's are 4 years old and probably 25-30 AX's. Pirelli about 10 AX - only use them if running showroom stock plus mostly street driving; they have plenty of miles left and I have 2 295's take offs for rear replacements.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.