Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Other than the cost is there any reason why Titanium wheel bolts aren't a good idea? Are there any serviceability or durability issues?

I am thinking of a set for my Platinum Satin Carrera S wheels, getting tired of the look of the chipped black stock units!

Thanks for your thoughts!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm pretty sure the Porsche lugs are titanium.
Really! Hmmm I wonder how I can confirm. The units pictured above look so clean compared to the stock units, the paint comes off on the edges after just a few wheel swaps.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
porsche stock bolts are not Ti....i have pictures to dig up ... they are not worth the money.. i had stock a few dozens before.. and it took a while to unload them..

They save a few onces . but for the money.. they are pretty expensive.. and not much in return in performance..

Ti

non Ti

lemon

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they are not Ti....i have pictures to dig up ... they are not worth the money.. i had stock a few dozens before.. and it took a while to unload them..

lemon
Hmmm, the weight saving wasn't my real goal, only a side benefit, it was more how clean they looked compare to stock...

I found some for $200 in natural, $300 for black...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
for concourse... i have my boys take them out.. two bolts per tire.. and rattle can them. stick them back in.. take out two more bolts..

i do this so i don't have to remove the whole wheels/tires.. out..

we have new ones if you want on the website.. a bit thicker in the coating.. and we have the nickel finish also (but in silver).. those last a long time..

Lemon

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
for concourse... i have my boys take them out.. two bolts per tire.. and rattle can them. stick them back in.. take out two more bolts..

i do this so i don't have to remove the whole wheels/tires.. out..

we have new ones if you want on the website.. a bit thicker in the coating.. and we have the nickel finish also (but in silver).. those last a long time..

Lemon
How perceptive, yes this is in preparation for a Concours, Porsche Parade this summer... :)

Thanks for the suggestions, perhaps I will try glass beading them first.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
How perceptive, yes this is in preparation for a Concours, Porsche Parade this summer... :)

Thanks for the suggestions, perhaps I will try glass beading them first.
I went with titanium nuts on studs (aftermarket stud kit) on an M3 that I had shod with Forgeline 3-piece wheels (also went with titanium fasteners on the wheels themselves). Because they weren't painted, they didn't get chipped after one or two wheel changes...but this was a track car that saw a LOT of wheel removal/replacement, and over the course of a season the nuts looked more than a little beat up. If one always used a new, high-quality forged 6-point socket on a 6-point nut, and was really cautious, they could likely be removed/replaced multiple times without any apparent damage. I'm never that careful with wheel nuts lol.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Other than the cost is there any reason why Titanium wheel bolts aren't a good idea? Are there any serviceability or durability issues?

I am thinking of a set for my Platinum Satin Carrera S wheels, getting tired of the look of the chipped black stock units!

Thanks for your thoughts!

Just did the same thing on my Platinum wheels for the exact same reason. Tired of the black bolts getting all ratty looking and banged up over time, and much to my surprise I liked the contrast of the brighter bolts against the darker wheel.

Factory bolts are definitely not ti as the weight difference is very noticeable.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just did the same thing on my Platinum wheels for the exact same reason. Tired of the black bolts getting all ratty looking and banged up over time, and much to my surprise I liked the contrast of the brighter bolts against the darker wheel.

Factory bolts are definitely not ti as the weight difference is very noticeable.
Now that looks sharp, thanks for the picture! What brand did you go with? I found some for $200 in natural Titanium and $300 for darker almost Platinum coloured units, pictured in my original post.

FWIW I have a set of Stainless bolts, I would use them but the washer is fixed, ie. one piece and I was always worried that they might not be a strong as the OEM bolts?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Thanks, now I have added you to my "hate you" list..... :cheers:

.. and we have the nickel finish also (but in silver).. those last a long time..

For my beer budget, this sounds like a good option!

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is a picture of Stainless vs Black on the wheel and side x side:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Now that looks sharp, thanks for the picture! What brand did you go with? I found some for $200 in natural Titanium and $300 for darker almost Platinum coloured units, pictured in my original post.

FWIW I have a set of Stainless bolts, I would use them but the washer is fixed, ie. one piece and I was always worried that they might not be a strong as the OEM bolts?
I can't recall the exact brand at the moment and I'm 30,000 feet up in the air but can check when I get home tonight. They were from one of the banner ads at the top of the forum here. They had a drop down menu where you can choose if you are running specific sized wheel spacers, so it made finding the correct ones really easy....about $200 or so if I recall. Nicely packaged too in a box with each bolt in its own dense foam slot in the box. Silly stuff I know, but the presentation was very nice.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Thanks, now I have added you to my "hate you" list..... :cheers:

For my beer budget, this sounds like a good option!
C'mon, you know you want them! It's a Porsche......I'm pretty sure it cost more than $200 just to drive past a dealership :banana:

·
Registered
466 Posts
C'mon, you know you want them! It's a Porsche......I'm pretty sure it cost more than $200 just to drive past a dealership :banana:
Fine. Tell me where you tracked down the platinum crest with silver shield and I'll just get the whole damn package!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Fine. Tell me where you tracked down the platinum crest with silver shield and I'll just get the whole damn package!
Now the crest is a different story! I made those myself, but the one in the photo is not the final product that is on there now and was just a test crest to see how things would hold up on the road.

I have a chrome hood crest that is beautiful with a burgundy like color rather than red in a deep urethane gloss over it that I wanted to try and seek if I could match on the wheels. Months of searching turned up nothing out there.

I discovered an EBay seller that had the chrome/black crest you see in this pic but they were gone once I decided to try and do it myself. I contacted him and he said he no longer could place them on EBay as official "Porsche" products, but would gladly sell me a set so I bought two sets, one to practice with and one for the final product.

They are actual concave solid metal crest made to the exact specifications of the original painted Porsche crest, but with thin double sided tape on them to go over the originals. I experimented with different coloring techniques and found that using a lowly red Sharpie pen made it very easy to fill in the spaces I wanted perfectly, and I could do several coats to get the desired color depth. The ink is transparent so the chrome shows though giving the exact same "candy" like burgundy color that my hood crest has.

once I got it right, I applied several coats of clear acrylic gloss enamel to them to protect it all and give them a similar deep gloss the hood crest has. The next trick was to make them look factory which meant no way I'm sticking them over the original crest because you can just tell no matter how thin the tape.

I used a Dremel tool to make a cut in the original gold crest and them carefully tore out the factory crest from the center caps with needle nose pliers. They are glued on using some type of semi flexible Gorilla type glue. The most time consuming thing was removing the double sided tape from the crest and cleaning off the residue with Goof Off. It took a couple hours while sitting in front of the TV.....wasn't hard but just tedious and making sure not to bend the thin metal crest in the process.

Then I used........well, Gorilla glue to replace the crest with mine, and they have been on the car for a year counting the first test versions without any issue and many drives and washings, even using wheel cleaner with no problems.

I need to get some better photos of the final product out in the light where the reflective properties of the crest shines through the final red color I settled on to really appreciate how it turned out. The silver in the crest was one reason I think the silver on the ti lugs looks good because it adds a splash of matching contrast to the otherwise darker wheels. Total project cost is less that $50 including the cost of one set of crest, pen and clear paint.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is what I have on mine... :)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can't recall the exact brand at the moment and I'm 30,000 feet up in the air but can check when I get home tonight. They were from one of the banner ads at the top of the forum here. They had a drop down menu where you can choose if you are running specific sized wheel spacers, so it made finding the correct ones really easy....about $200 or so if I recall. Nicely packaged too in a box with each bolt in its own dense foam slot in the box. Silly stuff I know, but the presentation was very nice.
Thanks for this, looking forward to finding out what where you got yours!

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
I added Ti lug bolts to my car and really like them. Great shine and very easy to clean. Acer Racing is a sponsor here running a special price for the set. Well worth the money in my opinion.

Cman21

1 - 20 of 54 Posts